• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Everone with a Ruger sr.22...............

Have you had any experience with the slide wearing at the slide stop? I'm getting a little burr where my slide stop button meets the slide. I'm thinking maybe I should take it back for warranty, or just live with it and chalk it as regular wear.
It's not a show stopper and it's not affecting the function but it is showing wear.

Last edited:
other forum said:
It's a slide stop, and you shouldn't use it as a release. In other words, don't just lower the stop with your thumb to let the slide go forward, but grab the slide and pull it back, then let it snap forward (the slingshot method). This motion works exactly the same on all pistols that have a slide - you don't need to "relearn" where the slide lock is located when you pick up a different gun...

There are lots of arguments for both methods - one is about gross motor skills vs fine motor skills - but the bottom line is that dropping the slide stop _may_ cause unnecessary wear at both contact points. If you are in combat, use whatever works, but at the range, do what minimizes wear on your gun.

I agree that your slide wear is unusual and Ruger needs to see it.

Thanks for that link. I have been using the release to cock the pistol. From now on, I will take the time to grab the slide and pull it back. My brother has the same pistol and his is pure, meaning no wear. thanks for the link.

Last edited:
After reading the rest of the post on that forum I am thinking there might be a fitment problem. I will contact my store. any. Anyone else have this? I just took the diamond file on my Wave and de-burred it. The lever is steel on an aluminum slide so I have to think it would gum it up. What's the warranty on these pistols?

Last edited:
The slide is a very soft metal, it will wear easily.
Walther P22 is known for same thing happening. On my P22 I filed a bit of the slide lock where it makes contact to lessen the wear rate.

Brought my .22 in to my FFL to send to Ruger for warranty. I'm sure they will make it right.I could have contacted Ruger and I'm sure they would have taken care of me, but I feel safer going throught an FFL.

Last edited:
I got my pistol back. They put a new slide on it. The fix for the problem: they put a small dowel pin on the slides slot so the button won't wear on the aluminum.

Back
Top Bottom