• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Entry-level thermal monoculars

APFSDS

NES Member
Now that I have an intensifier (PVS-14), I was thinking of adding a thermal monocular. The idea is to use the PVS-14 for moving around, identification and for use with an NV compatible weapon sight. The thermal scope would be for periodically scanning from a fixed position to identify anything the intensifier misses or can't see, and for super dark nights if I don't want to fire up an IR light. What are brands to look at and avoid? Must-have specs and features? I was thinking something that can detect (not necessarily identify) out to maybe 200 or 300 yards (if that's possible in my price range, around 500 but definitely below 1000). Maybe something along these lines? Is something this "entry level" a waste of money, condsidering it's paired with a pretty nice PVS-14?

25Hz refresh, 256x192 sensor

AGM Global Vision Taipan TM10-256 Thermal Imaging Monocular, Color: Black, Up to $54.00 Off w/ Free Shipping — 2 models

Firstly, I wouldn't order anything from Optics Planet unless you don't care when you might receive it.

ATN has some low budget solutions, and that's what I'd look at. I've got a couple of their products and they have been problem free.

I have an inexpensive ATN thermal scope (30Hz) and a FLIR monocular (60Hz). I won't buy another device with a slow refresh rate.

Has 30Hz been adequate? I have been looking around that as a minimum, I remember seeing that like 24 or 25 FPS is the minimum for a video to look "smooth."

Has 30Hz been adequate? I have been looking around that as a minimum, I remember seeing that like 24 or 25 FPS is the minimum for a video to look "smooth."
30Hz is okay for scanning, but panning/tracking with a scope is another thing, The lag and lack of definition while panning will delay target acquisition.

30Hz is okay for scanning, but panning/tracking with a scope is another thing, The lag and lack of definition while panning will delay target acquisition.
You are going to get image latency, ghosting and loss of performance (frame to frame image processing) with any uncooled LWIR.

The 30Hz rates are for frame capture not the final image as it goes through a ton of processing in order to allow the cheap FPAs to achieve the respectable performance we see now.

Now that I have an intensifier (PVS-14), I was thinking of adding a thermal monocular. The idea is to use the PVS-14 for moving around, identification and for use with an NV compatible weapon sight. The thermal scope would be for periodically scanning from a fixed position to identify anything the intensifier misses or can't see, and for super dark nights if I don't want to fire up an IR light. What are brands to look at and avoid? Must-have specs and features? I was thinking something that can detect (not necessarily identify) out to maybe 200 or 300 yards (if that's possible in my price range of microscoop kopen, around 500 but definitely below 1000). Maybe something along these lines? Is something this "entry level" a waste of money, condsidering it's paired with a pretty nice PVS-14?

25Hz refresh, 256x192 sensor

AGM Global Vision Taipan TM10-256 Thermal Imaging Monocular, Color: Black, Up to $54.00 Off w/ Free Shipping — 2 models
Which would be better a pair of 10x50 binoculars or 10x50 monoculars