Enfield .303 jungle carbine

I just got this gun handed down to me and I don't know much about it. It seems to be in great shape and the barrel looks clean. I also got about 700 rounds of British .303 in stripper clips. Can people chime in about the .303 round? Like I said, I know NOTHING about this gun. Is it worth anything? I may be interested in trading it.

Just so you know, a lot of "jungle carbines" were created after the war by importers. Check for welded areas.

.303 British is a rough equivalent to our .30-'06. Slightly larger bullet OD and a rimmed case. Heck, they were loading them with cordite, like the naval and artillery shells. I pulled some bullets and dumped it out; it looked like ultra-fine spaghetti.

OH - legend has it the Indian ammo is really dirty.

Congratulations!

The jungle carbine was my very first firearms purchase.

Didn't know a thing about them (still don't really), but I had to have one simply because of the way it looked.

I forget how much I paid for it, but since I bought it at a pawn shop (and I was an 18 year old Yankee GI down South and didn't know shit about firearms), I probably got ripped off big time on the deal.

Make sure you check for pitting and corrosion below the wood line. I've seen several jungle carbines that were pretty bad. Something about the humidity and damp conditions where most were stored.
It should be easy enough to figure out how the stock comes off. If you have trouble look up the disassembly info on surplusrifle.com.

I took the rifle completely apart a few nights ago and the wood looked like it was in good shape under the barrel. Here are all the markings on it...

No5MKIROF(F)
6/45 N7595

and on the metal that wraps around the grip it says 'ENGLAND' and above that there is an upsidedown '7'.

I might not be able to post pics till tomorrow but thanks to everyone for posting responses!

....It seems to be in great shape and the barrel looks clean.
Jungle carbines in nice condition are getting hard to find and expensive.
Don't be in a hurry to dump it. You might not replace it easily when regrets set in.
The jungle carbine is fun to shoot, offhand and with a shoulder pad or slip on recoil pad.
That narrow and hard rubber buttplate will make an impression on you.[smile]

There is a lot to be said for a 150 gr jacketed or cast bullet at reduced velocity.[wink]

OTOH, you might want to shoot it from the bench with ball ammo, and then sell it to me cheap.[laugh]

Jack

Back
Top Bottom