Efa-10. What happens when you try your fifth of the year?

You need an FFL to work on guns for money. Or guns other then yours even for free.
I was once investigated by the state for gunsmithing without a licence. You need an FFL to engrave, plate, restock rebuild, build or paint a firearm or parts. As an example you are not even leagly allowed to pin and weld a muzzle brake on a upper for someone without a FFL even if the upper is not attached to a receiver. On the other hand if you purchase 4 loweres and make them into guns for yourself and put them into the EFA10 system and then decide you want to resell them as guns this would be OK without an FFL as long as you only personal sell 4 within a calendar year.

You get the “Ignore” button mashed on you for clogging up my “New Posts” feed.

That’s all any of you should really be worried about in the end. I’m kind of a big deal.

Who the hell is BATFE anyway? Never heard of him.

A dealer will only transfer a roster approved firearm. Many of us have firearms not on the approved roster.
Not necessarily. I’ve purchased several Glocks online and had them transferred in Massachusetts. You just have to shop around.

One thing to remember is that a frame or receiver is not a firearm per MA law.

I wouldn't play the game of splitting the frame off the rest of the firearm and then handing that to the buyer of the frame.

But I would be perfectly comfortable actually selling just frames in excess of 4/year and in general not counting a frame as a firearm sold.

Remember you are not supposed to do a e-FA10 when you sell a frame. It is the buyers responsibility to FA10 it when they build it into a functional firearm.

Most people are very surprised to learn that when one individual buys a frame from another individual, no paperwork of any kind is required. The buyer gives the seller money. The seller gives the buyer the frame/receiver. Done.

**edit - one point of fact I implied above but didn't explain is that the ATF DOES consider a frame to be a firearm. However the ATF does not require any background checks or paperwork when a firearm is transferred on the secondary market between two individuals (non-licensees in AFT parlance).

So a transfer of a frame between two individuals in MA
Per state law - it's not a firearm. Period.
Per fed law - it's a firearm but no checks or record keeping are required when the transfer is between two non-licensees. (A licensee is a FFL holder)

Last edited:
So a transfer of a frame between two individuals in MA
Per state law - it's not a firearm. Period.
Per fed law - it's a firearm but no checks or record keeping are required when the transfer is between two non-licensees. (A licensee is a FFL holder)
This is probably implied, but in MA...transferee must have valid LTC A as proof you can own firearms in the state would be the only "check" needed.

And the frame law will be the first thing to go once the new laws are shoved deep and wide up the public's ass......., and a frame will be a firearm in MA forever more.

Last edited:
This is probably implied, but in MA...transferee must have valid LTC A as proof you can own firearms in the state would be the only "check" needed.

And the frame law will be the first thing to go once the new laws are shoved deep and wide up the public's ass......., and a frame will be a firearm in MA forever more.
That is incorrect. The transferee would not need a LTC to receive a frame or receiver. Since it's not a firearm per MA law.

The bill passed by the house would define a frame as a firearm. But that's not the law yet. So we go with the laws that exist now. And based on current laws, no LTC or FID is required to acquire or possess a frame or receiver.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom