eFA-10 Personal Transfers

Passthemacs

NES Member
Hope this isn't a dupe, I did a search before hand*

Just figured this will be easier for people looking for how to go about doing a transfer when a paper FA-10 form isn't at hand and they don't mind doing it online. Been asked many times locally how I've been doing it and a few from some great members here I've done sales with. Not trying get rashed on, just thought it may help some one out.

We all know the ordeal with the "serialized" FA-10 forms that many have a hard time finding. This is the method I've been using and I'm sure many others have been as well, so I take no credit. I just print out the last 2 pages of the FA-10 PDF form, one copy for seller the other for buyer. Enter in all information from both parties and sign. That way both parties will have a paper record for themselves with each others signatures and information (Not a lawyer, don't know if it flies but gives me peace of mind anyways). Then the seller takes his copy home and logs onto the site below and does a eFA-10 to save the hassle with the paper forms being rejected for whatever dumb reason they can come up with.

https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentHome

When you go to that site

Click -> Continue (it'll bring you to next page)
Click-> Personal Sale or Transfer (on the next page you will need your LTC number and PIN, you will have the buyer's inform on the paper copy you both filled out LTC/Lastname/DOB)
Click-> Continue (Bottom right hand of screen) This next page will verify that both of us are in the system with valid LTC licenses and show all of our information
Click-> Continue (This page will then be where you fill in the firearm information which you will have written down on the PDF copy we filled out)
Click-> Continue (This page will be for you to review all the information and make sure it is correct which it usually is but never can be too sure)
Last step Click-> Submit

Then the site will bring you to the confirmation page. Write down the confirmation number somewhere if you'd like and be sure to click "PRINT" this will bring up a PDF file that you can save to your computer and send to the buyer for their records. We are finished.

NOTE: nfdBrian figured out why some users were being asked passwords to open the PDF files at the end. The mircs system is not friendly to MAC users when you try to print or open the PDF it asks for a password which is non existent. Make sure you have your adobe as the default document viewer and not the apple viewer. This should solve the problem. If not, throw it on a thumb drive and use a PC somewhere to send the copy and/or print.

Hope this helps! [smile]

Thanks. I asked that question about filling out a pdf and taking it home and doing an e-file with the info, just as you suggested. It was on an earlier post and got some smart remrk.

Well just hope it helps people who want to do it that way. Not everyone is going to stick to only paper, specially if you can't find the serialized ones. One thing learned on this awesome forum is you need to have tough skin haha, wouldn't take any smart remarks to heart. It's a great place to be with tons of information.

Click-> Personal Sale or Transfer (on the next page you will need your LTC number and PIN, you will have the buyer's inform on the paper copy you both filled out LTC/Lastname/DOB)

First time, FTF seller here. So, is it recommended or necessary for one or both parties to fill out paper versions of the FA-10 form for record keeping or other purposes? I may be on-the-go, so I was thinking about creating a PDF copy and e-mailing it to myself (and the buyer) to be printed when I get home.

First time, FTF seller here. So, is it recommended or necessary for one or both parties to fill out paper versions of the FA-10 form for record keeping or other purposes? I may be on-the-go, so I was thinking about creating a PDF copy and e-mailing it to myself (and the buyer) to be printed when I get home.

The PDFwill work, once you finish the Efa10 it will give you the option to print page. You'll click that and save as a pdf or take a screen shot and go from there. Then as you said, email and print it.

When you do the transfer in person bring a laptop and meet somewhere with wifi then email it to yourself and the other party

My cell phone plan (AT&T mobileshare) includes data tethering to my phone, so I didn't even need to find a wi-fi hotspot. Did it right there & emailed, buyer was able to confirm receiving the PDF right there in front of me. Worked great.

Sorry in advance for reviving a necrothread.
I have a pistol that I bought for a Christmas present for my daughter that lives in Mass.
She has yet to do anything about transferring it so it's still with me in NH.
Does it need to go through an FFL or can she just efa10 it herself?

Sorry in advance for reviving a necrothread.
I have a pistol that I bought for a Christmas present for my daughter that lives in Mass.
She has yet to do anything about transferring it so it's still with me in NH.
Does it need to go through an FFL or can she just efa10 it herself?
Unless you have a Mass LTC it needs to go through an FFL since it crosses state lines

Unless you have a Mass LTC it needs to go through an FFL since it crosses state lines
Having an LTC for the donor is irrelevant if 2 parties live in different states, Fed Law applies and that requires use of a FFL. And handguns, frames and "others" per Fed Law must go thru an FFL in new owner's state.

however you if your daughter would like to get familiar with the gun, for a period of time you have options that require very little effort

US Code TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 922
§ 922. Unlawful acts

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to
(A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and
(B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

Having an LTC for the donor is irrelevant if 2 parties live in different states, Fed Law applies and that requires use of a FFL. And handguns, frames and "others" per Fed Law must go thru an FFL in new owner's state.
If he's a dual resident then when he resides in Mass he would not be breaking the law (assuming Mass is primary residence so he has a resident license)

If he's a dual resident then when he resides in Mass he would not be breaking the law (assuming Mass is primary residence so he has a resident license)
That doesn't sound like what was being asked tho, A MA LTC issued to someone from out of state does nothing for the situation

That doesn't sound like what was being asked tho, A MA LTC issued to someone from out of state does nothing for the situation
And that's why I said if he didn't have an LTC it has to go through an FFL.
The other condition would be the daughter was a dual resident with NH primary residence.

A non resident MA LTC will allow an out of state person to carry and possess firearm is state but not sell it
I was referring to dual residency with a Mass resident LTC.
Other option would be if the daughter was a dual resident in New Hampshire then they could transfer to her in NH a d she could bring it back to Mass

Back
Top Bottom