• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

eFA-10 clarification for C&R

aLuckyFourteen

NES Member
I did try search because I know the FA-10 subject has been discussed many times, but I'm still not clear. Which of the following situations must I complete an eFA-10? I am a MA resident and have an FFL C&R 03 license for curio and relic firearms.

1. I am the BUYER of an M1 Garand made in 1943 from the CMP which is based in Alabama. I didn't have my C&R at this time.
  2. I am the BUYER of a milsurp rifle made in 1918 from a private seller who is a resident OUTSIDE of Mass. Purchase done with FFL C&R and mail.
  3. I am the BUYER of a milsurp rifle made in 1942 from a private seller who is a resident of Mass. Purchase made in-person, not through another FFL.

Thank you in advance.

DO NOT list the seller in cases #1&2 when filing the form, but you do have to fill out the rest of the form.
Edit (see namepipes & Len): In case #3 the seller files and you will want to print out the receipt for your records.

Last edited:
All 3, but DO NOT list the seller in cases 1&2 when filing the form.

This. The only time you don't have to file the FA10 is if you MOVE to MA with your firearms that were acquired in the previous state you lived in.

All 3, but DO NOT list the seller in cases 1&2 when filing the form.

This. The only time you don't have to file the FA10 is if you MOVE to MA with your firearms that were acquired in the previous state you lived in.

In a private f2f transaction within ma, the seller files.

In #3, op does not file.

Reading the eFA-10 link again, I tend to think that @namedpipes is right. It only indicates out of state transactions.

https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentTrans

Last edited:
Reading the eFA-10 link again, I tend to think that @namedpipes is right. It only indicates out of state transactions.

https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentTrans

1 and 2 you file the FA10 under registration and DO NOT include seller information. #3 would be done under personal transfer. The seller would fill that out then send you a copy. I've done TONS of C&R transactions/purchases as well as personal non-C&R transfers and this has been my understanding according to the legal experts here on the forum.

1 and 2 you file the FA10 under registration and DO NOT include seller information. #3 would be done under personal transfer. The seller would fill that out then send you a copy. I've done TONS of C&R transactions/purchases as well as personal non-C&R transfers and this has been my understanding according to the legal experts here on the forum.

You are correct.

There is a lot of INTENTIONAL MIS-INFORMATION on the FRB eFA-10 website. Do not rely on it for what you must legally do or you could end up in some very uncomfortable situations.

Register anything obtained outside MA without info on source. FTF in MA requires info on both parties and gun. Do NOT use any other option than Registration or Personal Transfer for obtaining guns from anyone/anywhere.

Thank you. Just to be clear, the seller fills this out, right? I don't, as the buyer, have to do anything?

For MA purchases: You should get and keep a copy.

For other ways of obtaining (or building) a firearm: You have to fill it out.

Back
Top Bottom