DoubleTab 200gr 10mm - Doesn't Work in G20 (Also Slow)

This is just informational. I'm sure it won't apply to many since there aren't a ton of people shooting 10mm, but I thought I'd share.

I picked up a G20 recently and I've been ordering and trying various loads in it to see what it likes and what I like. Basically I've been in search of three different loads. A 2-legged defense load for nightstand duty (CorBon DPX was an easy choice), a woods defense load (I'm liking Underwood's loading of the Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrator, with 727ft.lbs.), and a pull-power practice load to simulate the woods load at a cheaper price (and to show off the 10mm's power to friends of course).

The search for the practice load led me to pick up some DoubleTap 200gr (controlled expansion JHP) which is rated at about 1225 from a 4.6" barrel. This should produce 666ft.lbs. and an even higher power factor (recoil) than the Underwood load.

I got it to the range and chronoed it first with an average of 1138fps. That's almost 100 under advertized and only good for 575ft.lbs (you can get that from an up-loaded .45ACP). Power factor is still there so, for "only" $1 per round I would still be interested in this, but then I moved to target shooting.

Having just placed a nice group at 25 yards with another load, I was trying to hit a silhouette at 25 yards. Not a single round was hitting the target and I couldn't figure out why. Finally I noticed the round hitting the 100-yard berm and they were up to 20ft apart. I moved in to 7 yards and I think this picture explains what's going on.

IMG_2244.jpg

I've seen in videos that the stock Glock barrel can stabilize up to 220gr hard cast bullets, but the design, shape, center of gravity, or some other factor must make these harder to stabilize. In the picture, none of the shots were touching. All but two keyholed at least a bit, and 4 look to have hit the target completely sideways. Every shot here was aimed either at the letter A, or about 6" below it.

The stabilization issue isn't really the ammo's fault, but it's worth putting the info out there.

As for the velocity issue, I'd read that DT commonly comes in below advertized. This is proof and I won't be considering any DT loads in the future. I'll stick to Buffalo Bore and Underwood.

Last edited:
Second time I've heard that ammo has stability problems through a Glock barrel. FWIW, I'm told it works through a Lone Wolf barrel. Still somewhat disappointing, as I'm always on the lookout for cheap(er) full power 10mm ammo.

Second time I've heard that ammo has stability problems through a Glock barrel. FWIW, I'm told it works through a Lone Wolf barrel. Still somewhat disappointing, as I'm always on the lookout for cheap(er) full power 10mm ammo.

Yep I believe the Lone Wolf barrels tend to stabilize all the heavy rounds the Glock barrels won't. I prefer a stock barrel though.

I'm pretty sold on Underwood and will be sure of that next weekend. I've seen lots of evidence that they're almost always over advertised velocity and the one load I've tried came in at 1530 to their advertized 1460 from the 4.6" barrel. I've got some of their 180gr FMJ-FN on the way. It's advertised at 1300 from the G20 barrel and I'm betting it'll be even higher. Definitely full power 10mm and it's well under $1/round, even with shipping.

If you are going to shoot 10mm a lot, you really want to start reloading.

If you want hot 10mm factory ammo, check out Buffalo Bore -- their 220 grn hard cast worked very nicely out of my Delta Elite. I don't have a Glock 10mm, so I don't know if it works as well out of that.

Everyone stopped using DoubleTap years ago after his QC went in the toilet. It's not even worth buying anymore. Basically when I was on Sigforum everyone and their brothers uncle used it, and then the guy sort of whored out his brand, and then it went to shit, and then everyone stopped using it.

Underwood is the best, IME, if you're not reloading.

-Mike

If you are going to shoot 10mm a lot, you really want to start reloading.

If you want hot 10mm factory ammo, check out Buffalo Bore -- their 220 grn hard cast worked very nicely out of my Delta Elite. I don't have a Glock 10mm, so I don't know if it works as well out of that.

I've had my eye on Buffalo Bore, but Underwood is cheaper and just as hot so I'm exploring that first. I have a box of the 200gr hard cast on order, which is the same energy level as Buffalo Bore's 220gr. I'd be checking out the 220gr from Underwood, but I know that's right on the edge and may not stabilize.

I've been collecting all my brass. I don't reload presently, but when I get to 1000 10mm cases I'll be taking the plunge. Definitely makes sense given the performance of factory 10mm loads. I picked up some PPU 180gr 10mm and tried it the other day. 920fps..... Ya... That's slower than Federal 40S&W 180gr which I shot from my G20 barrel at 940fps. That experience sold me on the value of reloading if you want your 10mm to be any warmer than range 9mm.

I've had my eye on Buffalo Bore, but Underwood is cheaper and just as hot so I'm exploring that first. I have a box of the 200gr hard cast on order, which is the same energy level as Buffalo Bore's 220gr. I'd be checking out the 220gr from Underwood, but I know that's right on the edge and may not stabilize.

The dude at underwood (Kevin I think his name is) is also the kind of guy that you can call on the phone and ask him questions about his ammo. Very customer service oriented.

-Mike

Was actually just watching a hickok45 video on the 10mm and he had the same issue with the glock barrel. Swapped out to the lone wolf barrel and it was stable again. Thought it was pretty interesting.

Until you take up reloading, bring everything down to SE CT and I'll work up some 10mm loads with you. Longshot seems to give the fastest velocities (with 180 & 200 grain jacketed bullets) among the Hodgdon family of powders, but who knows what BB and those others use...?
I'm not a Glock owner, but doesn't Glock "not recommend" cast bullets due to their polygonal rifling. That's why most use the aftermarket barrels when using cast bullets and for full chamber support, etc. I'm also aware that many shoot cast in the OEM barrels, but these are usually in 9s and .45s
Maybe you need a 10mm Magnum...
http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt10mag.htm

Last edited:
Was actually just watching a hickok45 video on the 10mm and he had the same issue with the glock barrel. Swapped out to the lone wolf barrel and it was stable again. Thought it was pretty interesting.

He does a follow up video to that one where he tries 220gr Buffalo Bore in the stock barrel and it works fine. That's partly why I was surprised this 200gr DT didn't work.

Until you take up reloading, bring everything down to SE CT and I'll work up some 10mm loads with you. Longshot seems to give the fastest velocities (with 180 & 200 grain jacketed bullets) among the Hodgdon family of powders, but who knows what BB and those others use...?

I've had good luck reloading 10mm with 9.5 of 2400 and a 220 gr plated head Deadly on pins in a revolver

Everyone stopped using DoubleTap years ago after his QC went in the toilet. It's not even worth buying anymore. Basically when I was on Sigforum everyone and their brothers uncle used it, and then the guy sort of whored out his brand, and then it went to shit, and then everyone stopped using it.

Underwood is the best, IME, if you're not reloading.

-Mik
eI know any manufacturer can have something slip by their quality control, but a while back I got these 200gr and 220gr from Doubletap.
CIMG3428_zps1095e35b.jpg
[/URL]
I could be doing them a disservice, but when the replacement ammo they sent also had problems, I have moved on. These were the 200gr Noslers that were sent as replacement.
The stuff inside the hollow point was not caviar, as some have suggested. To be fair, I didn't taste it.

Last edited:
Again, Doubletap is toast, most people stopped using DT years ago, after he pulled a "Yaesu" and banked on his name instead of producing quality stuff. You're way better off getting Underwood or Buffalo Bore (although BB is way overpriced).

The pics above don't surprise me in the least given the reputation.

I am curious about what kind of ear wax or whatever it is inside that bullet, but perhaps I don't want to know.... [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom