Does the Department of Homeland Security issue firearms licenses?

Reptile

NES Member
Being that NES is a great place to get to the bottom of rumors- I have a question.

My friend know a former police officer. My friend told me that he has a license to carry firearms from the DHS.

He mentioned something about getting some sort of training for it.

I think he is just talking about the Law Enforcement firearms license that retired police have.

He says that the license was issued by DHS.

Can someone shed some light on this second hand information?

Last edited:
Maybe he was mistaken and thought the retired LEO license was from the Department of Public safety and got confused?

That sounds more like it.

Can somebody verbally describe what the retired LEO license looks like and who issues it?

There is no retired LEO license. He might have been issued a retired LEO id from the department that he is retired from for the purposes of concealed carry under LEOSA.

That sounds more like it.

Can somebody verbally describe what the retired LEO license looks like and who issues it?

There is no "retired LEO license." LEOSA coverage comes in the form of some kind of ID issued from your department. If you retire (under circumstances which qualify for LEOSA) this means your PD issues you a retired ID of some sort. It's going to vary from department to department.

-Mike

My apologies, I did not articulate that well at all. The "retired" ID that meets the specs under LEOSA and getting a qualification is all that is needed IIRC. I know there is a problem currently with many agencies "ret" IDS not making the grade according to the specs needed.

Back
Top Bottom