• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does Bullet Sealer Work? (Range Results)

Mil-Dot

Instructor
NES Member
I posted this a couple of years back on another forum. Thought some of you might be interested...

I took the test! Loaded/reloaded 6 cartridges (7mm rem. Mag. with 68 gr of H-1000 and 150 gr Nosler BT).

(2)New Brass
(2)1x Fired Brass
(2) 2xFired Brass

One cartridge from each group was treated with the Markron Custom Bullet and Primer Sealer. Next, all the cartridges were placed in a bottle of Poland Springs water for 30 days. Each day the bottle was inverted as to change the orientation of the cartridges. After 30 days the cartridges were removed from the water and dried off. I went to the range several hours later and here were the results…ALL SHELLS FIRED! [shocked]
In fact, at 100 yards, my grouping was as tight as ever! [grin]

Does the sealer work? Not sure, but further testing might be warranted. I can't imagine hunting conditions that would be as extreme as this test. Could be a fluke? Mike
[wink]

I think a more appropriate question would be "Is bullet/primer sealer necessary?," and I'd say your results clearly demonstrate the answer is "no" - at least for hunting (as opposed to military) ammo.

We have a dud bucket filled with oil on our range. One time for the heck of it, I grabbed some rounds out of the bucket, wiped off the oil, and tried them in a revolver. Five out of six fired. They'd been in there for months.

Wow!
Sealer is cheap and I sometimes reload 500 or so rounds for a given caliber/rifle. I might store these cartridges for several years. I figure, why not seal them, it only takes a couple of seconds per round. Thanks for your comments[grin]
Mil-Dot

Wow!
Sealer is cheap and I sometimes reload 500 or so rounds for a given caliber/rifle. I might store these cartridges for several years. I figure, why not seal them, it only takes a couple of seconds per round. Thanks for your comments[grin]
Mil-Dot

I had some rifle rounds (30-06) that I reloaded twenty years ago (Rem once fired brass, wlr primer,
3031 powder, Hornady 150gr RN) and they fired fine just recently. (I lost them in my superior filing
system [smile]).

Last edited:
We have a dud bucket filled with oil on our range. One time for the heck of it, I grabbed some rounds out of the bucket, wiped off the oil, and tried them in a revolver. Five out of six fired. They'd been in there for months.

I'm not surprised. The Box O Truth did some testing on Oil vs. Primers a while ago. Oil only made a difference when the primers were exposed before loading. Results here:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot39.htm

I had a .17 HMR round that got into the wash, I tried it out on the range and it failed to fire. I have no idea how the hell the water got between the bullet and into the case... since it s a rimfire. It's also possible that particular round was a dud... but I doubt it... I've never had a commercial .17 HMR round fail to fire, except for that ONE round... and I had to have run several hundred rounds through that rifle before I got rid of it.

-Mike

I have fired a bunch of older (20+yrs) ammo handloaded by my dadinlaw and it all fired just fine. Now back to the sealer thing, I use nailpolish (clear) to seal bullets and primers if I am being really anal. Like I sealed the bullets and primers on my best friend's moose ammo I loaded for him. He slings the rifle a lot (which I do not condone) so if it is raining, moisture and droplets can get down there. I did not want there to be any chance of moisture getting in that ammo! I just brushed it on and wiped off the excess immediatly so there was no extra to gum things up. But hey, guess it is not necessary. It made me feel better though!!

+1

I have been running a test of my own at home right now. I put a bunch of hand loads, and factory loads into a coffee can of used motor oil. Some were FMJ, some HP, some lead. Every month or so, I will take a couple of them out and try them.

I have yet to have one fail to fire, and we're talking in excess of 6 months sitting in oil!

Back
Top Bottom