Documentary about Gun Laws and the 2nd Amendment

Good day,

I'm new to your board so I hope you don't mind me introducing myself to you in this way.

My partner and I are Emmy award winning producers from Northern California. Two years ago we started working on a film about street gangs invading rural California. Due to my repeated contact with gang members, it was recommend that I obtain a CCW permit - which I did. The process led to me learn about the backward gun laws of California compared to the rest of the Union. Through research I discovered that there has never been a positive documentary about the 2nd Amendment and gun ownership in America.

Assaulted: Civil Rights Under Fire will be such a film. Supported by the CalGuns Foundation and Second Amendment Foundation, this PTV/PBS documentary will look at how California is the front line in gun control battle. The film will look at the current assault weapon ban proposals in California and Washington, DC, as well as, CCW permitting across the USA.

Here are a few links to learn more about the film:

http://kck.st/OllEYn (Our Kickstarter funding campaign where you can see the trailer)

http://www.AssaultedFilm.com (The project website)

http://www.examiner.com/article/docu...rms-under-fire (An article from the Examiner)

Thank you for reading this post.

You're welcome.

And welcome to the board.

I wish you well, in your attempt to present a nuanced and accurate documentary upon a subject that often gererates a, "La-la, I can't hear you," response when a viewpoint that does not coincide with establshed prejudice.

Good luck - or break a leg, whichever is appropriate.

You've certainly found the right place for info and insight into the northeast's gun laws. Poke around here and you'll find a host of people with volumes of knowledge from professional to anecdotal.

Good luck with your project.

this PTV/PBS documentary will look at how California is the front line in gun control battle

Your premise is flawed... Can a CA resident who was caught with a joint 3 decades ago possess a firearm today? Yes, they can but a MA resident can not. CA residents are not licensed for gun possession and have that license pulled out from underneath them by their PD in order to illegally seize their firearms, thereby bypassing 4th and 5th amendment rights in the process. Can a CA resident who lives alone store their firearm at the ready? A MA resident can not. I can go on but I won't. What I will do is point you to two court cases that illustrate the stupidity of MA gun laws.

COMMONWEALTH vs. BRANDON LOJKO http://masscases.com/cases/app/77/77massappct82.html
A locked container was not a locked container until an appeals court stepped in. Illustrates the all too common occurrence of MA gun owners not getting a fair trial (by courts stretching all incredulity in allowing charges to go forward) at the district court level.

COMMONWEALTH vs. CLINT A. CORNELIUS http://masscases.com/cases/app/78/78massappct413.html
One has the ability to move in to MA from elsewhere before applying to get a license but don't take common in use firearms with you because the exemption doesn't apply, so says this court. Mind you, you can't get the license till you move in, but if you leave the guns outside the state, when you go get them you potentially violate federal law. And all of this is predicated on the theory that a rifle and shotgun are not really rifles and shotguns. Clint Cornelius spent a year in jail because his GF's room mate was pissed he slept over.

ETA: I am not suggesting that CA is a nice place for a gun owner to live, only that CA does not have a corner on the stupidity market nor is it the sole front in the gun control movement. MA laws are actually very instructive on what the ideological strategy was and still is of the gun banning movement. Especially with it's use of broad consumer protection laws and how it's licensing scheme incorporates so called large capacity firearm restrictions in sometimes obvious ways, and sometimes not so obvious ways. I would be happy to discuss further. I am also very happy you are creating and broadcasting this documentary and we need more of that so please keep up the good work.

Last edited:
deadpatriot... welcome to the forum.
I highly suggest you read up on Terraformer's links!

Thank you, Everyone, for the warm welcome. We are currently heavy into the research and filming; Terraformer, thanks for the links!
It will take some time to get the documentary done well, and we appreciate any help along the way.
Kris

Welcome to the forum. Lots of info here. Need time to poke around. Do not be afraid to ask questions. You will get a bit bruised. But it is worth it. Enjoy

deadpatriot

I'll immediately thank you for the efforts. It a respectful undertaking. You'll find plenty of info here in the Laws forum as well as from respected members such as Terraformer.

I think the more you dig, the more bizarre the reasoning (if any) behind some of these laws. Taking a peek at what's going on in this state may lead you into new topic areas for your film. MA fits your film's title perfectly.
:)

Good luck!

deadpatriot

I'll immediately thank you for the efforts. It a respectful undertaking. You'll find plenty of info here in the Laws forum as well as from respected members such as Terraformer.

I think the more you dig, the more bizarre the reasoning (if any) behind some of these laws. Taking a peek at what's going on in this state may lead you into new topic areas for your film. MA fits your film's title perfectly.
:)

Good luck!

Thank you, daveyburt - and you couldn't be more right. We could make a 3-part special on this topic, easily. The challenge will be deciding what to cut and what to keep.

Hiya, Folks –
I want to thank everyone for the support of our documentary,
“Assaulted: Civil Rights Under Fire.”
We have reached our goal for initial funding, and are now officially in production.
Thanks again for all of your ideas, information and viewpoints; its good to know you are here and ready for this film to be made!

Anita
Dead Patriot Films

Back
Top Bottom