• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doctors Are Geniuses

But did they really do anything besides talk to 240,735 people that they randomly dialed? I'd love to see if they updated this since 2002, but haven't been able to find anything. (Do you think they were drunk dialing? [cheers])
I wonder how much money this "study" cost- And would also like to know what the ratio of accidental shootings were as compared to unlocked firearms per state.

Prevalence of Household Firearms and Firearm-Storage Practices in the 50 States and the District of Columbia: Findings From the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2002
Catherine A. Okoro, MS*, David E. Nelson, MD, MPH*, James A. Mercy, PhD, Lina S. Balluz, ScD*, Alex E. Crosby, MD, MPH and Ali H. Mokdad, PhD*

* National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia

Objectives. To examine the prevalence of household firearms and firearm-storage practices in the 50 states and the District of Columbia and estimate the number of children exposed to unsafe storage practices.

Methods. We analyzed data from the 2002 cross-sectional Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System survey of 240735 adults from randomly selected households with telephones in the 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Results. Nationally, 32.6% of adults reported that firearms were kept in or around their home. The prevalence of adults with household firearms ranged from 5.2% in the District of Columbia to 62.8% in Wyoming (median: 40.8%).
The prevalence of adults with loaded household firearms ranged from 1.6% in Hawaii, Massachusetts, and New Jersey to 19.2% in Alabama (median: 7.0%), and the prevalence of adults with loaded and unlocked household firearms ranged from 0.4% in Massachusetts to 12.7% in Alabama (median: 4.2%).
Among adults with children and youth <18 years old, the prevalence of loaded household firearms ranged from 1.0% to 13.4% (median: 5.3%), and the prevalence of loaded and unlocked household firearms ranged from 0.3% to 7.3% (median: 2.3%); in each instance, Massachusetts had the lowest prevalence and Alabama had the highest. Findings indicate that 1.69 million (95% confidence interval: 1.57–1.82 million) children and youth in the United States <18 years old are living with loaded and unlocked household firearms.

Conclusions. Substantial state variations exist in the prevalence of household firearms and firearm-storage practices. It is vital that surveillance systems such as the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System continue to monitor the prevalence of household firearms and firearm-storage practices so that future interventions to promote safe storage of firearms can be evaluated and more widely implemented based on their efficacy.

What a total waste of our tax dollars!

The accident rate has been falling steadily for years due to education, and the actual # of accidental deaths among children < 15 is very low - somewhere between 1 - 3 per year, per state according to CDC data.

I guess we can debate whether locks on guns is good or not. The nanny state has proclaimed that they are, so we law abiding types lock 'em up.

If I got that kind of call, I would NEVER tell them that I even own guns, never mind anything else!

The validity of that sort of survey (non-random as they know who you are, where you live, etc.) is about the same as someone calling and asking me to send them copies of my last 5 years worth of tax returns to some random PO Box in West Overshoe in return for a free coupon for a pack of chewing gum.

Last edited:
This was not done by telephone. Many Physicians routinely asked these questions as part of pre visit and pre diagnostic screening. Nurse came into the room, asked the questions, filled out the answers, the practice submitted the results for the survey.

My Doctor participated. When I was asked the questions, I asked, what does this have to do with why I am here? Answer was that the Doctor wanted the questions answered.

I then said, "No offense, I understand you are doing what your are told, but this is none of your business" As I sat there in my IDPA Winter Championship Shirt.

Regards,

The questions are on the AMA or NE Medical Assn forms that my doctor uses too. We just skip those questions and would never answer them.

Back
Top Bottom