"Diversity of gun ownership growing as sales rise"

One of the things oil change chains realized is that to get female customers to come into the shop they needed to make the waiting room clean, brightly lit, and inviting. If more gun shops/ranges were like walking into a car dealership/Starbucks/modern bank/etc. instead of a 1970s time-warp more women would go in them. I swear to God almost every shop I've been in has the same exact ugly carpet, shellac'd pine shelves, thrift store display cases, the cheapest HomeDepot ceiling tile, 2x2 soul crushing fluorescent lighting, and dingy off white paint.

Last edited:
I have found most people I meet are very welcoming and couldn't care less about what I look like. Ancestors from ivory coast and eastern european with a full beard that makes me look vaguely middle eastern. But it's the far lefters who just assume everyone is racist and they have to feel bad for me and tell me how discriminated I am. Yes I have had this conversation way more than I should have to. It is so infuriating to have someone treating you like you can't defend yourself and how patronizing they can be.

The more the Liberal stereotype of gun owners being middle aged redneck males gets crushed the better..
Gun stores need to do their part in making women feel welcome.
The same thing with clubs.

The Mrs. has run in to attitude at both and takes great pleasure in sending condescending dopes away with tail tucked.
The funniest one was some little rooster trying to give her unsolicited shooting tips at the range.
She handed him her Colt Lawman 2" .357 loaded with 158 grain JHP. and said "Here, can you show me?"
He cleared off pretty quick after just one shot, I would assume to go get some ice.

I have heard from other women that they hate going to clubs because of either leg humping or the macho dog pile to see who's going to show the "Little lady" what's what.

One of the things oil change chains realized is that to get female customers to come into the shop they needed to make the waiting room clean, brightly lit, and inviting. If more gun shops/ranges were like walking into a car dealership/Starbucks/modern bank/etc. instead of a 1970s time-warp more women would go in them. I swear to God almost every shop I've been in has the same exact ugly carpet, shellac'd pine shelves, thrift store display cases, the cheapest HomeDepot ceiling tile, 2x2 soul crushing fluorescent lighting, and dingy off white paint.

The ideal gun shop for women you just described actually exists. It's Minuteman Armory in Templeton. It's an hour drive from my house, and honestly I have driven there a few times just to buy ammo. Well also because I can drive a cool car for a couple of hours too lol. Actually Guns Inc in West Springfield is pretty nice on the inside and there are 2 women who work there so they understand what a woman likes better.

Lowes went out of their way to make their stores more women friendly vs HD. Ive spoken to more than one woman who say they prefer Lowes. You would figure if youre looking for a gun or ammo or whatever, it shouldnt matter what the atmosphere is like, but it does apparently.

The Mrs. has run in to attitude at both and takes great pleasure in sending condescending dopes away with tail tucked.
The funniest one was some little rooster trying to give her unsolicited shooting tips at the range.
She handed him her Colt Lawman 2" .357 loaded with 158 grain JHP. and said "Here, can you show me?"
He cleared off pretty quick after just one shot, I would assume to go get some ice.

My current wife and my previous wife (deceased) have a few things in common. Both have had a strong preference to the 1911 pistol in 45 ACP. First wife was Regular Army for 6 years, one place they had her qualify with a 1911 so she could use one for payroll guard (training unit). Of course, they sent her to the post Marksmanship Training Unit (match shooters) and she was handed a NM 1911. She went 39 for 40 with it. Yeah, she could shoot a handgun better than I could. (Of course, shooting a scoped rifle is a whole different story.) She ended up shooting 40 for 40, KD on popups, for a kid that couldn't qualify, She did that with a 20" AR with irons (M16A1).

We've ruin into that same situation a few times. Usually, she gets the better of them. I just let them go, then watch and laugh. Both wives have done this.

Back
Top Bottom