"Disappearing'' Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started a thread and it has since been disappeared. Is there a glitch with NES or is there a new "no notification" policy with the mods with making threads go away?

Jen, although I had nothing to do with the thread you are referring to, there is no rule here that Mods notify people if we delete (or lock) a thread or a post. I don't use PMs (PITA) and thus do not notify . . . only if I give an infraction is the person "notified" by the forum software.

That said, some Mods do notify everyone . . . like I said, we have no rule about it. I don't and others may or may not.

Last edited:
Jen, although I had nothing to do with the thread you are referring to, there is no rule here that Mods notify people if we delete (or lock) a thread or a post. I don't use PMs (PITA) and thus do not notify . . . only if I give an infraction is the person "notified" by the forum software.

That said, some Mods do notify everyone . . . like I said, we have no rule about it. I don't and others may or may not.

While I appreciate the reply, I have to say that it seems a rather sketchy and arbitrary "if you don't like it tough crap on you" system.

Sort of reminds me of this little program they have in MA called "obtaining a license to carry..."

Something folks need to remember is that this board, like most on the Internet, is privately owned, in this case by Derek. That means the 1st Amendment does not actually apply because this is actually private property.

Now I find Derek and the moderators tend to run this board within the spirit of the 1st. However, if somebody posts something disagreeable to the owner and operators, maybe like starting a public thread to complain about another member rather than handle it via PM, it is completely within their purview to delete it un-noted.

Something folks need to remember is that this board, like most on the Internet, is privately owned, in this case by Derek. That means the 1st Amendment does not actually apply because this is actually private property.

Now I find Derek and the moderators tend to run this board within the spirit of the 1st. However, if somebody posts something disagreeable to the owner and operators, maybe like starting a public thread to complain about another member rather than handle it via PM, it is completely within their purview to delete it un-noted.

I never said it wasn't private property. I said it was sketchy, arbitrary and "tough crap on you." [rolleyes]

Along with most of the mods, Ross and C-pher, I've been around NES longer than basically everyone else and have gotten PMs when something was out of bounds or a hot button issue.

"Public threads" aren't public in the member's forum. Also it was posted as an Open letter. So, there you go. Anything else you'd like to point out?

I never said it wasn't private property. I said it was sketchy, arbitrary and "tough crap on you." [rolleyes]

Along with most of the mods, Ross and C-pher, I've been around NES longer than basically everyone else and have gotten PMs when something was out of bounds or a hot button issue.

"Public threads" aren't public in the member's forum. Also it was posted as an Open letter. So, there you go. Anything else you'd like to point out?

I too have been censored lately and will be participating less because of it. Moderation is one thing, censorship is a totally different thing.[angry]

I don't think it's happened to me... but I think it's "reasonable" for the mods to at least explain why IMHO. What can it hurt?

I was just going through the classified section and must of come across 7 or 8 posts which state "Why did my ad dissapear". Somebody has definitely taken it upon themselves to adhere strickly to the post rules. While it's none of my business, I would think that if your post is deleted or locked, there should be some communication to the poster. If for nothing else then common curtesy.

I've had a couple of posts nuked, but they were admittedly off topic, so c'est la vie. The mods may also be limited in what they can do by the forum software.

I can only speak for myself and not any other Mod. I'll delete anything in a classified ad that is not directly related to that ad. Comments like "I wish I had the $", "XXX is a great guy to deal with", "your price is too high", "I had one of those in a prior life and wish I never sold it" etc.

I will delete anything in a non-classified ad post that in my opinion goes over the line. I'll admit, that line can and does change. I'm only human. I will also delete posts in a thread that takes that thread away from the original intent. The "BeakFree Straw" thread is a perfect example of that. There were comments that alluded to what could be construed as body orifices and KY lube (hardly on topic). Those posts did not belong in that thread and I deleted them.
Threads with a high level of noise do no one any good. It only makes it harder for someone to find information when they have to weed through a bunch of crap.

As a rule, I do not notify someone when I've deleted a post. If I did, I'd be tied up for a lot longer on here sending PMs about deletions and then arguing with someone about it. If your post disappeared, you probably have a good idea why it went away anyway.

The "Why did my ad disappear" policy is new. Every classified forum here has a "Read Before Posting" Sticky. It's not that difficult to read and follow the rules in the Sticky. There's also a template than can be used. By deleting the ad, it forces the poster to go back and read the rules so that it conforms.

Personally I spend 4-8 hrs/day, 7 days a week here. I am not retired and have other things to do with my life too.

"Just send a PM" and dialog with everyone whose post needs editing or deletion could easily add another 1-2 hours/day. Also, just like everyone else, we have a "limit" on PMs and I am at that limit. It takes hours to go thru PMs and delete the ones that don't need to be kept. I don't have that time to give for a volunteer job.

It's easy to sit back and criticize, tell us what WE should do . . . but until you walk in the shoes of a Moderator of a very active forum, you have no idea the amount of work that it takes.

Back when we started (to address the comment about "what we used to do") there were few of us and few posts/day. Yes, I did PM everyone when I did something to a post. We've just grown too big to do that now, there are only 24 hours in a day.

It's easy to sit back and criticize, tell us what WE should do . . . but until you walk in the shoes of a Moderator of a very active forum, you have no idea the amount of work that it takes.

If you were referring to my post, I was not criticizing. I was just respectfully commenting. [smile] The Mods do a great job on this forum!

I too have been censored lately and will be participating less because of it. Moderation is one thing, censorship is a totally different thing.[angry]

+1

I mean this solely as constructive criticism as I love this forum and really want what is best:
It seems like it wouldn't be too much extra work to add a little comment where the edit had occurred. Sometimes you're left in the dark as to why your ad disappeared. For example, in a classified add when changing the text to "Why did my ad disappear?" perhaps a little mention of the reason. ie - "Why did my ad disappear? Reason: Need location and 'wts' in the title"

Now I understand the mods put in A LOT of time on this forum. I generally take a look at the "Members currently online" at the bottom of the main page and usually see at least 2. LenS is ALWAYS on (like myself) as he said. To me, it seems the mods are stretched a bit thin. In the last few months I've noticed a HUGE influx of new members; this place is growing like crazy, which is good. I'm not sure what Derek's take is on adding a few more mods to oversee the shenanigans here [wink], but perhaps a few more would ease the stress of the present ones.

Just my .02

Last edited:
Regarding the ads disappearing in the classifieds, See my posting here in this forum. Having a separate WTS-Firearms would eliminate any confusion as to whether something is for sale or otherwise. No need to keep adding WTS in the title. It works on other forums.

Years ago, I was a moderator on the old "Battle-rifles.com" and once we got to the point of having a big membership, we broke the different forums down into groups being moderated by 1 or 2 mods instead of having all the mods responsible for the whole forum.

Just my .02 cents...take it for what it's worth.[grin]

Personally I spend 4-8 hrs/day, 7 days a week here. I am not retired and have other things to do with my life too.

"Just send a PM" and dialog with everyone whose post needs editing or deletion could easily add another 1-2 hours/day. Also, just like everyone else, we have a "limit" on PMs and I am at that limit. It takes hours to go thru PMs and delete the ones that don't need to be kept. I don't have that time to give for a volunteer job.

Back when we started (to address the comment about "what we used to do") there were few of us and few posts/day. Yes, I did PM everyone when I did something to a post. We've just grown too big to do that now, there are only 24 hours in a day.

Sorry Len, but I know of a few people who have inquired/volunteered for Mod duty (myself included, a long time ago) so if there's too much work then add more mods. Derek has said that there are more than enough mods. So who do I believe?

Yeah, yeah, I know, if I don't like it, I'm free to leave whenever I want. I'm beating a dead horse, whatever. I took a few months leave from NES when I got tired of what it had turned into, and was trying to give it another shot. I guess we'll see what happens.

I wasn't aiming my comments at anyone in particular. It's just easy to tell others what they'd like to see, but it adds significant time to our job as Mods.

We did "assign" Mods at one point. It really just doesn't work that way on NES, although it might on other forums.

Every post we edit or delete has a comment area and I always fill it in. HOWEVER, I just learned that only the Mods can see the comment (software restriction), so that doesn't do you (the user) any good and we (at least I) thought that at least the person who had posted it could read the comments. Oh well!

WTS/WTB/WTT is necessary because we don't all read new posts from the index of each forum. I have a link to "All New Posts" and go thru them that way. When I see "S&W xy" as a title, I have no idea if I'm looking at a WTS/WTB/WTT or a comment on the gun. [I don't look at the top (off the screen) or forum name on the right side when I go thru the New Posts. [e.g. There are 54 New Posts since 6:51PM (to ~11:45PM) that I need to go thru.]

Jen, I deleted your add. I saw it as an attention ploy and something that could have been taken care of via PM. If you have a problem with another member take care of it with them via PM or simply PM one of us and we will discuss/moderate the matter, but please don't ask in public why we have not banned a particular user that you tend to have disagreements with.

BJ- It was an open letter trying to get some sort of explanation of what somebody has to do to get banned and why some people are more prone to it than others whose actions are, by my opinion, more objectionable than others. We all have different views.

If you thought it was something that could have been handled via PM, then why didn't you PM me instead of just deleting it to make it "go away?"

Please lock this thread. I'm done.

I think this whole situation was handled like crap, and I don't agree with your actions and the moderation policies of NES. I'm going to "New Hampshire."

We can't make everybody happy. We are human and do our best to make NES what is it. I am sorry you are unhappy with the Moderation policy of NES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom