Department store ammo??

seanc

NES Member
I was at the Wally World in Northbridge and picked up a 100 pack of wwb 9mm..

While talking to the clerk at the counter he said that ALL Walmarts are going to stop selling ammo soon (no definite time frame from him). But this was due to a new federal regulation that is going to prohibit "department stores" from selling any ammo. He thought that this Wally would be out of the ammo biz as of the 1st of the year (but again, he was guessing).

Is this BS? Mis-information? has anybody else heard about this??

If you wouldn't trust firearms law information from a police officer or gun store ( you shouldn't) why would you trust it from a store clerk?

If Walmart is getting out of the ammo business, it's because they aren't making enough money versus what they are spending and using up in floor space. Which is why they've stopped selling long guns in many stores. At least that's what a clerk at one of them told me! ;)

I was at the Wally World in Northbridge and picked up a 100 pack of wwb 9mm..

While talking to the clerk at the counter he said that ALL Walmarts are going to stop selling ammo soon (no definite time frame from him). But this was due to a new federal regulation that is going to prohibit "department stores" from selling any ammo. He thought that this Wally would be out of the ammo biz as of the 1st of the year (but again, he was guessing).

Do you honestly think a clerk would have any legitimate info regarding this?

Yes. I do.
Just because he's working at Wally World does not instantly make him some knuckle dragging mouth breather.

If he has been told by the management that Walmart (as a chain) will stop selling ammunition due to a new federally imposed law, I find it to be at least plausible. If he misunderstood, or was mis informed is another issue.

But, I find it very possible that someone like Sen. Boxer Or Barney Frank would, could and/or might have inserted this into any sort of bill that was going to pass makes it at least worth asking the question.

Yes. I do.
Just because he's working at Wally World does not instantly make him some knuckle dragging mouth breather.

If he has been told by the management that Walmart (as a chain) will stop selling ammunition due to a new federally imposed law, I find it to be at least plausible. If he misunderstood, or was mis informed is another issue.

But, I find it very possible that someone like Sen. Boxer Or Barney Frank would, could and/or might have inserted this into any sort of bill that was going to pass makes it at least worth asking the question.

Did you hear about the new form/tax on your federal income tax starting this year?

If you wouldn't trust firearms law information from a police officer or gun store ( you shouldn't) why would you trust it from a store clerk?

If Walmart is getting out of the ammo business, it's because they aren't making enough money versus what they are spending and using up in floor space. Which is why they've stopped selling long guns in many stores. At least that's what a clerk at one of them told me! ;)
Wal-Mart got out of long gun sales because they took a lot of heat in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. News crews videotaped the New Orleans area Wal-Marts getting looted and the stocks of firearms/ammo were among the items stolen. Wal-Mart didn't want the liability if someone got shot with the stolen guns.

I say B.S.

The Rayham Walmart just totally revamped the store and in the process put in 2 new large ammo cabinets. I'm not a Walmart expert, but these are at least 4 times the size of any other Walmart ammo cabinet I've seen. I somehow doubt they'd have done that just now if they were planning to stop selling ammo in a few months.

Now if only those nice new cabinets weren't always empty.

Wal-Mart got out of long gun sales because they took a lot of heat in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. News crews videotaped the New Orleans area Wal-Marts getting looted and the stocks of firearms/ammo were among the items stolen. Wal-Mart didn't want the liability if someone got shot with the stolen guns.

There are walmarts in NH and many other states that still sell long guns.

There are walmarts in NH and many other states that still sell long guns.

Yup. I went back home on vacation in August and stopped in at a Walmart in Iowa. All the ammo was sitting out, unlocked, on a shelf (several shelves, actually) in the sporting goods department. It was well stocked too. They also had 3 of those carousel style cases with long guns. I got to talking with the clerk at the counter, and started into a mini-rant about how bad things are here in MA. His response, "Well, buy something to bring home. Buy a bunch of ammo too. It won't change those silly laws none, but it always makes me feel better." I swear I heard "America The Beautiful" playing softly in the background.

Wait...you were able to get into an ammo cabinet at WW???

Every time I go near the hunting section at the store in Leominster, the area is completely bereft of "associates". That, or they quickly scurry away as soon as they see me looking at the ammo.

The Wal-Mart near me has been saying they will 'stop carrying ammo soon' for 3 years. They still sell it.

Wait...you were able to get into an ammo cabinet at WW???

Every time I go near the hunting section at the store in Leominster, the area is completely bereft of "associates". That, or they quickly scurry away as soon as they see me looking at the ammo.

When no one is able to be found, I always pick up the phone and page sporting goods.

Works every time.

I just went to Walmart in Gorham NH and all the ammo was out on shelves for anyone to purchase. I found my 2 boxes of 380! Now if I could only find a place that had 10!

nothisshit.jpg

<snip>While talking to the clerk at the counter he said that ALL Walmarts are going to stop selling ammo soon (no definite time frame from him).

Oy. [rolleyes]

This has been going around every gun related forum every couple of weeks for the past couple of years.

Yes, its bullshit.

Wal Mart is the largest employer in the country and is under constant seige from leftists/liberals.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they caved to pressure on an issue like selling guns and ammo, in order to attempt to 'keep the wolves at bay' on issues like unionization, mandatory day care, and a host of other 'social imperatives'.

I can also certainly understand a desire on their part to free up floor space in the 'ammo area' when they can't obtain enough product to sell and much of this space is idle most of the week due to shortages. It's all about inventory turns and floor space utilization.

Wal Mart is the largest employer in the country and is under constant seige from leftists/liberals.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they caved to pressure on an issue like selling guns and ammo, in order to attempt to 'keep the wolves at bay' on issues like unionization, mandatory day care, and a host of other 'social imperatives'.

I don't think any of Walmarts actions are "capitulation to antis".

The walmarts in MA probably dumped guns because they weren't selling enough of them to justify it. Most people don't go to a department store to buy a gun anyways. Dicks and other box stores are also stealing away market share from them on that front anyways. It also wouldn't surprise me if some of the manufs like Remington, Savage, etc, all got sick of Walmarts lowball purchasing and told them "this is the price and if you don't like it, too damned bad. " which caused the margins on the guns to
decrease.

If guns or ammo disappear from walmarts, it's an economic thing for them more than anything else. I get the distinct impression the ammo, etc, is almost a loss leader or break-even to drag a demographic of mostly men into the stores that otherwise would never set foot inside a walmart. How many of us here, for example, go into a walmart for some reason other than to buy ammo? (crickets). Seriously, if there was no cheap ammo inside, the guy's gonna say "Honey, I'm just gonna take a nap in the car while you shop. " etc. [laugh]

-Mike

I don't think any of Walmarts actions are "capitulation to antis".

It's not as if giving in on one thing will get them to give up on the other. OTOH, it just emboldens them to press harder on the other issues. That's how liberals work, one issue at a time. Pick one that it's easy for the opposition to give in on and promise them that you'll stop there. Only you don't. Ask Neville Chamberlain how that thought process worked out for him.

If guns or ammo disappear from walmarts, it's an economic thing for them more than anything else. I get the distinct impression the ammo, etc, is almost a loss leader or break-even to drag a demographic of mostly men into the stores that otherwise would never set foot inside a walmart. How many of us here, for example, go into a walmart for some reason other than to buy ammo? (crickets). Seriously, if there was no cheap ammo inside, the guy's gonna say "Honey, I'm just gonna take a nap in the car while you shop. " etc. [laugh]

-Mike

I buy a few items at Walmart, but I'd never get beyond the pharmacy if it wasn't for ammunition. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, guns and ammunition were loss leaders for Walmart under the Walton family management. The new management is strictly bottom line. If items don't sell, they are removed from the stores.

How many of us here, for example, go into a walmart for some reason other than to buy ammo?
-Mike

Well, wally world sells deodorant in bigger containers for the same price as the grocery store. They sell rainx washer fluid, rainx wipers, PC games and a few other electronic odds and ends that I occasionally need. I know that NAPA and pep boys sell that too, but wally world is closer and I know where the stuff is that I need to buy.

Wally world can't be losing money on federal 40S&W as it went up a buck or two recently.

I get the distinct impression the ammo, etc, is almost a loss leader or break-even to drag a demographic of mostly men into the stores that otherwise would never set foot inside a walmart. How many of us here, for example, go into a walmart for some reason other than to buy ammo? (crickets). Seriously, if there was no cheap ammo inside, the guy's gonna say "Honey, I'm just gonna take a nap in the car while you shop. " etc. [laugh]

-Mike

Mike you are wrong and right, respectively.

A very knowledgeable source told me that WM jacked the ammo prices up to meet their expected 30% profit margins for goods on the floor. No loss leader here!!

You are right that I only go to WM for ammo and extremely rarely ever go into any other departments. I go in the "garden entrance" area and make a straight bee-line for the sporting goods dept, look and reverse path.

Haha - Sounds familiar!

I wonder how many people just use the Garden shop entrance for ammo? If I'm visiting a new Wally-World find the garden entrance and go staright or take a left. Inevitably leads to the Sporting dept.

Flash your receipt at the guy standing by the exit, and you just saved $20. Life is Good.

Most likely. I was at K-Mart last year and bought all the remaining 22 they had, maybe 5 or 6 boxes of 50 rounds. I asked when they were re-stocking and the kid mentioned that they weren't going to sell ammo anymore and would not be re-stocking.
Next time I went back, the whole ammo cabinet had been removed.

This might have some truth to it, not because of federal law but because of pure profit. While the WalMart in halifax was being redone. I would go to the one in Plymouth Ma. One day I came across Gilbert, he works the SGs counter in Halifax store. I chatted with him and said I couldnt wait until halifax reopened. Its a pain comeing to the plymouth store. "Ahhh dont bother aint gonna have ammo" Well hes right. Halifax Ma walmart doesnt even have fishing gear. one isle of camping goods 1 isle of golf,baseball stuff.

when I called to see if this was a tempory thing this is what the women told me. Well unfortunatly we had to cut out some goods when the store was redone to make way for the food section. See we have a space vs turn over vs profiit structure if the numbers dont come out to a certain variable, well they stop selling it. Well I went back to buy some small colmen fuel bottles(did not have) I ran into Gilbert again. We got to talking. I asked when do you think Plymouth will be stocking up on ammo. He laughed and said." They wont, pretty sure by years end they wont have ammo any more.

As far as raynham wal mart adding shelves. They did the same thing when WM stores started not selling guns. They got shipped over to Raynham(sp?)
Seems like they will absorb area WM ammo stocks then sell down just like the guns. I have always said WalMart sucks....only good for cheaper ammo.

Back
Top Bottom