• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deals and steals

Functionally speaking there's very little difference between 2017 Intel CPUs and what they sell now.... for 99% of applications. Crapple figured this out and that's why they just used the old s*** for 100 years. My gaming box has an i7 from 2011 in it and it's fine. The GPU is a bigger arbiter of performance there. I still sell tons of boxes with i7-4790s in them, still rocketships for most users.

It's amazing how Apple brought common sense to the chip market. Good ol' school architecture to bring amazing performance.

They are a very smart company.

It's amazing how Apple brought common sense to the chip market. Good ol' school architecture to bring amazing performance.

They are a very smart company.
Yeah but now they're going proprietary again to go full cosby. At least the new M1 Macbooks aren't trash and they brought magsafe back. Maybe if people yell loudly enough theyll add back at least one usb port thats not usbc.

Yeah but now they're going proprietary again to go full cosby. At least the new M1 Macbooks aren't trash and they brought magsafe back. Maybe if people yell loudly enough theyll add back at least one usb port thats not usbc.

And they are getting rid of that foolish Touch Bar. I want real keys!!!

Functionally speaking there's very little difference between 2017 Intel CPUs and what they sell now.... for 99% of applications. Crapple figured this out and that's why they just used the old s*** for 100 years. My gaming box has an i7 from 2011 in it and it's fine. The GPU is a bigger arbiter of performance there. I still sell tons of boxes with i7-4790s in them, still rocketships for most users.

Sure, I recently built a new PC to replace my 9 year old desktop which has an i5-4670K in it. The new PC is a little faster in things like raw image processing and gaming but I was mainly concerned about the old PC failing, the performance was just fine.

But I wouldn’t pay $650 for it.

I can attest that the new 16” MacBook Pro with the M1 Max beats the pants off the old Intel based one. I managed to drop my 2019 MacBook right on it’s corner onto a marble floor. Amazing thing was that it only broke the display. Not so amazing was the fact that Apple wants over a grand to fix it. I used that as an excuse to get one of the new MacBooks with the M1 Max chip. (My wife did question the logic behind getting a new $3,500 laptop to save spending $1,000 to fix my 2 year old $2,600 laptop. She also intimated that maybe the drop wasn’t that much of an accident, since I really wanted the M1 Max.). The old Intel based laptop had the 9th gen 2.3 GHz Intel Core i9 8-Core CPU and the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M GPU (with 4GB GDDR6). The new one with the M1 Max 10 core with the 32 core GPU does everything faster, but it's really stunning when editing 4K video. I’m not into gaming, so the fact that you can’t run native Windows on it doesn’t really bother me. I do use the old one with an external monitor as a “desktop” to run Windows under Boot Camp. An 8 core i9 does make for a good Windows box.

I can attest that the new 16” MacBook Pro with the M1 Max beats the pants off the old Intel based one. I managed to drop my 2019 MacBook right on it’s corner onto a marble floor. Amazing thing was that it only broke the display. Not so amazing was the fact that Apple wants over a grand to fix it. I used that as an excuse to get one of the new MacBooks with the M1 Max chip. (My wife did question the logic behind getting a new $3,500 laptop to save spending $1,000 to fix my 2 year old $2,600 laptop. She also intimated that maybe the drop wasn’t that much of an accident, since I really wanted the M1 Max.). The old Intel based laptop had the 9th gen 2.3 GHz Intel Core i9 8-Core CPU and the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M GPU (with 4GB GDDR6). The new one with the M1 Max 10 core with the 32 core GPU does everything faster, but it's really stunning when editing 4K video. I’m not into gaming, so the fact that you can’t run native Windows on it doesn’t really bother me. I do use the old one with an external monitor as a “desktop” to run Windows under Boot Camp. An 8 core i9 does make for a good Windows box.

I think the value prop of mac laptops is still basically shit (well, unless your machine is actually making you money) but at least these newer ones seem to be somewhat less shitty, ironically like they're going back to the stuff that worked a couple generations ago in the last gen of MagSafe laptops they made beore they went to the shit mc garbage design. The wafer-thin keyboard machines were f***ing awful. Like I legit hated working with those things. I only had to type like 5 things in each one (all I do where I work on macbooks is deploy them) but by the time I was done I was pretty revolted by it, lol. The new ones seem way more robust design at least. (the pads under the bottom of the laptop is a clue).

I still think not putting regular USB connectors in the thing is awful, though. They should be putting at least one USB 3 on each
machine, that is still the predominant thumb drive connector out there. Having to carry around yet another adapter is insane.

I think the value prop of mac laptops is still basically shit (well, unless your machine is actually making you money) but at least these newer ones seem to be somewhat less shitty, ironically like they're going back to the stuff that worked a couple generations ago in the last gen of MagSafe laptops they made beore they went to the shit mc garbage design. The wafer-thin keyboard machines were f***ing awful. Like I legit hated working with those things. I only had to type like 5 things in each one (all I do where I work on macbooks is deploy them) but by the time I was done I was pretty revolted by it, lol. The new ones seem way more robust design at least. (the pads under the bottom of the laptop is a clue).

I still think not putting regular USB connectors in the thing is awful, though. They should be putting at least one USB 3 on each
machine, that is still the predominant thumb drive connector out there. Having to carry around yet another adapter is insane.
Yup, one big complaint about the new MacBooks is the lack of a USB 3 port. But Apple is known for strange habits. For the longest time, Jobs wouldn’t let them put arrow keys on the keyboards since he thought people should just get used to using the mouse to move the cursor (the iPad screen keyboard still doesn’t support arrow keys).

I was a strict Intel person until just before my retirement. I was a real Mac hater since I thought they were too closed of a system. Then I started working for another new startup where we did everything on MacBook Pros. We developed Linux SW, so we were dependent on the fact that they were using Intel chips, since most of our customers used Intel products, but those darn Macs just ran and ran. I started out always booting into Windows (they were all dual booted with Boot Camp, except for the Sales and Marketing folks who all just booted into macOS). But over time I started booting more and more into macOS. The more I used it, the better I liked it. In the end, I went completely over to the Apple side. I’ve gone through a bunch of transition throughout my career. Started out with Honeywell GCOS, then Multics, then Unix, then Windows, then Linux and ended up with macOS and iOS (for mobil apps). At this point I have to say for personal computing devices (desktops, laptops, phones) I prefer Apple's offerings.

I can see why the artistic types have gravitated to Apple. The things just work. My wife still insists on Windows (she runs a Surface), and every time MSFT issues a new upgrade it takes me a day to get everything back running the way she wants it again. And this is a computer made by Microsoft.

Amazon product ASIN B08LT5LPQ6
I know it's Amazon but humidity season is coming in a few months and you can get a 4 pack of these for $13.79 before tax with code 40GPKWYV
Oh boy, I had some of these, 3 days, 6 hours, 23 minutes later I got one 3/4 of the way on. If you ever want your gun back in use make sure you have a knife to free it again. :eek:

Oh boy, I had some of these, 3 days, 6 hours, 23 minutes later I got one 3/4 of the way on. If you ever want your gun back in use make sure you have a knife to free it again. :eek:
I have used similar socks before.

I use one for the upper and one for the lower.

Seems like one sock won't fit on a complete rifle.

Bought a pack.

Thanks. I bought a set too. While they don't really fit well on rifles with big optics and pistol grips.... they can be made to fit and they definitely help keep them from getting dinged up in the safe. I should just buy another safe so that things aren't so crammed

I have used similar socks before.

I use one for the upper and one for the lower.

Seems like one sock won't fit on a complete rifle.

Bought a pack
Agreed. They seem like they'll work well for milsurps with no pistol grips if that's your thing. That was my purpose for buying

Those are 4" wide socks, which work great on my lever guns, and non-scoped bolt action rifles, but for my ARs, I go with the 6" socks. And even the 6" socks can be somewhat of a struggle to get on and off of an AR.

Frank

$30 fixed blade knife with kydex holster and clip on Bladetech adjustable belt mount. I bought one a few months back. Been using it as a work knife. Very sharp out of the box and sturdy (thick) enough to hit the spine long term. I bought two more.

Swampfox Optics is having a 25% off sale with free shipping on all their products. Use code CRASHSALE. I’ve been very happy with my Arrowhead 1-10x24 LPVO. Today only.

I dropped my M1 the first week I got it
Here was the cost. 🥲
12561762-2C0A-410D-BE56-C4717359A65C.jpeg

Can you please elaborate?

Did you have AppleCare?
No I never buy warranties
I dropped it and cracked the screen
They replaced the screen and the housing (the whole top of the laptop) Dropped it off in store and they mailed it to a service center and mailed it directly back to me

Last edited:

80% lowers on sale. For those not quick with math, that's about 40 bucks each! I haven't seen them this low since before covaids.
Screenshot_20220226-110952.png

80% lowers on sale. For those not quick with math, that's about 40 bucks each! I haven't seen them this low since before covaids.
View attachment 582615
I'm torn. I'm still chapped because I got burned in that group buy. But I'd also like to be sitting on a few. If they were billet, I'd probably just do it...

I'm torn. I'm still chapped because I got burned in that group buy. But I'd also like to be sitting on a few. If they were billet, I'd probably just do it...
I don't know about the group buy.
I have bought 15 TM lowers and i do like them. I bought a 5 pack with jig about 4 years ago. My friends and I did a group buy of 10 just before the COVID stupidity. I have their jig, too. The jig is very no-frills but it works well.

Back
Top Bottom