damaged bullets, what to do...

p_100010395_1.jpg

I have received (free) 55grain lead tipped 223 bullets, but there is some issues where they are slightly mushroomed at the lead...
I assume they were not cared for in their packaging. I don't want to waste these, so does anyone have a recommendation?
I was thinking something with casting, but I have never attempted it nor have the materials.

Could I just remove all the lead, and make it a flat point? Of will it even shoot straight then?

Thanks,
Evan

I think you might be surprised.....what are you shooting them out of. There was a post while back with a chalenge useing damaged bullets...hmmmm

AR or bolt action.

I see no fun in inaccurate ammo, otherwise I would shoot a shotgun with birdshot.

I agree but sometimes like shooting minute of pumpkin doesnt require much better than 4 moa. I cant find the link im looking for. Few years back someone karma'd some bullets with a challenge of loading and testing for groups with various damage. I think for the most part they are worth reloading to shoot at large objects

Could I just remove all the lead, and make it a flat point? Of will it even shoot straight then? Sure you could. I cast some flat nose 30 cal bullets that do very well and give a nice ssshhhhmmmmmaaaacccckkk when the hit

Don't modify them.

Minor tip damage doesn't affect accuracy very much (if at all). I'm serious.

Shoot them. They'll be more accurate than you think (provided you haven't already psyched yourself into thinking that you'll miss with them).

Last edited:
I didn't make myself clear......I wouldn't bother altering them I was just makeing the point that flat tip doesn't mean bad accuarcy.

Minor tip damage doesn't affect accuracy very much (if at all). I'm serious.

True story:

A local high-power shooter (and former national champion) showed up to a match with the wrong ammo. He needed mag-length ammo to shoot in a rapid fire string but all he had was ammo that was meant for single loading and was too long to fit in the mag.

He did happen to have a pair of dykes, so he used them to snip the tips off so they would fit in his mags. He then loaded up his mags, shot his rapids, and cleaned both strings.

You can actually load them and once done simply roll the tips back to original shape on a hard surface.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Back
Top Bottom