Daisy 717, 722, 777

paulleve

NES Member
This afternoon I resealed a Daisy 722 and thought I'd share some pics of a few pistols in the collection.

The 7XX series are single pump air pistols that consist of the following models:
717 - The base model most commonly seen. Caliber is .177.
747 - Similar to 717 but with a Lothar Walther barrel and a few other upgrades. Also .177.
777 - Flagship of the .177 series, featuring a Walther Lothar barrel, metal sights, adjustable trigger, and oversized walnut target grips.
722 - Basically a 717 in .22 caliber. Potentially the hardest of the models to find.

The 722s were not produced for as long as the others in the series, and most seem to date from the early 1980s. This particular one was made in February of 1983 and has a price tag on the box for $49.99. When I got it it would still hold air, but the oil swiper had decayed to dust and it was in need of a cleaning and piston adjustment.

Daisy01.jpg

The 700 series are relatively easy to work on. The entire trigger and grip assembly remains intact when the pistol is opened up, so there are no springs and small parts falling out of place when you lift that side cover!

Daisy02.jpg Daisy03.jpg

Everything went back together pretty easily, and after adjusting the piston I ran it across the chrono. A 10 shot string averaged 302 fps, with an extreme spread of 5 and SD of 1. Not bad at all for a 40 year old pistol, especially given I was shooting cheap Daisy pellets!

I also broke out my 777 for a little back yard fun. I rebuilt this one last year, and it is a really nice shooter. The grips are great, and the trigger is better than on any of the real handguns I own! I ran this one across the chrono with the only awful batch of Daisy .177s I have at the moment. (Seriously, I had to toss quite a few out because the quality was so bad!) 10 shots from this one had an average of 386 fps, an extreme spread of 12 and SD of 4. I have no doubt the poor quality of the pellets had an impact on these numbers.

Daisy06.jpg Daisy07.jpg

These came in a few different types of packaging, including the plain brown box shown here. This one has all accessories except for the pellets, and includes the original receipt. The pistol was made in 1995, and was sold in 2001 at Duncan's Outdoor Shop in Michigan - for $228.00 out the door!

The 717 is the easiest of the series to find. This one, however, was a special edition American Police Academy Special model made only in 1980. It's a 717 that came in different packaging and has a special badge sticker on the handle. This one was also rebuilt shortly after receiving it. It was in the worst shape of the lot shown here, and required a new bolt and rear sight assembly in addition to the seal kit.

Daisy04.jpg Daisy05.jpg

Last edited:
This afternoon I resealed a Daisy 722 and thought I'd share some pics of a few pistols in the collection.

The 7XX series are single pump air pistols that consist of the following models:
717 - The base model most commonly seen. Caliber is .177.
747 - Similar to 717 but with a Lothar Walther barrel and a few other upgrades. Also .177.
777 - Flagship of the .177 series, featuring a Walther Lothar barrel, metal sights, adjustable trigger, and oversized walnut target grips.
722 - Basically a 717 in .22 caliber. Potentially the hardest of the models to find.

The 722s were not produced for as long as the others in the series, and most seem to date from the early 1980s. This particular one was made in February of 1983 and has a price tag on the box for $49.99. When I got it it would still hold air, but the oil swiper had decayed to dust and it was in need of a cleaning and piston adjustment.

View attachment 806129

The 700 series are relatively easy to work on. The entire trigger and grip assembly remains intact when the pistol is opened up, so there are no springs and small parts falling out of place when you lift that side cover!

View attachment 806128 View attachment 806127

Everything went back together pretty easily, and after adjusting the piston I ran it across the chrono. A 10 shot string averaged 302 fps, with an extreme spread of 5 and SD of 1. Not bad at all for a 40 year old pistol, especially given I was shooting cheap Daisy pellets!

I also broke out my 777 for a little back yard fun. I rebuilt this one last year, and it is a really nice shooter. The grips are great, and the trigger is better than on any of the real handguns I own! I ran this one across the chrono with the only awful batch of Daisy .177s I have at the moment. (Seriously, I had to toss quite a few out because the quality was so bad! 10 shots from this one had an average of 386 fps, an extreme spread of 12 and SD of 4. I have no doubt the poor quality of the pellets had an impact on these numbers.

View attachment 806124 View attachment 806123

These came in a few different types of packaging, including the plain brown box shown here. This one has all accessories except for the pellets, and includes the original receipt. The pistol was made in 1995, and was sold in 2001 at Duncan's Outdoor Shop in Michigan - for $228.00 out the door!

The 717 is the easiest of the series to find. This one, however, was a special edition American Police Academy Special model made only in 1980. It's a 717 that came in different packaging and has a special badge sticker on the handle. This one was also rebuilt shortly after receiving it. It was in the worst shape of the lot shown here, and required a new bolt and rear sight assembly in addition to the seal kit.

View attachment 806126 View attachment 806125
Those are goid numbers for any pellets .
Those where decent guns. Daisy was pretty good at making good stuff. Especially single pump stuff
My Daisy 853 is a pretty darn good platform and pretty accurate for what it is. I use it for off hand practice.

Back
Top Bottom