• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CZ-82 build....

inerlogic

NES Member
So i picked up a box of parts the *used* to be a CZ-82....
it was missing about 30 pieces.....

I placed an order with CZ-USA, shipping took about 3 days (Fed-Ex Ground)

for the most part (more on that in a bit) the CZ-83 parts are interchangeable with the CZ-82...
one hiccup, i ordered and was invoiced for a "Sear Spring" but whoever was doing the order picking
shipped me a Sear.... which is great... YAY!!! FREE SEAR!!!
but.... i still needed the Sear Spring..... so i called CZ-USA (apparently they stop answering the phone at 4PM CENTRAL time...)
-1 REP for CZ-USA

dude said they'd ship the spring right out to me.
didn't ask for the sear back or charge me for it or anything..... i offered but "nah, keep it, on us for your trouble"
+1 rep for CZ-USA

the spring arrived (arrove?) at the UPS Store Wednesday (3 day shipping... Fed-Ex ground)

i brought it home, commandeered the wife's computer and desk (mine has no free space), fired up both the Sailor Curt site and this dude's site and set to work...

neither site shows a good representation of how the main spring strut should go into the pistol....
and since i'd never taken a CZ-82 (or any other pistol for that matter) apart, i threw it in the way i *thought* it went in...

assembled the entire thing to the point where it was time to add the main spring and plug... then realized i had it backwards.....

i suppose i could've looked at the diagram, but eh.... who wants to trust a drawing?
cz-82-exploded.gif

that's ok, the point of buying this thing was to get practice putting it together and taking it apart!!

the auto-safety/sear spring part of the instructions are played up as being challenging and very hard to do...
it wasn't that bad actually..... 1/8" punch and about 4 tries to figure out the move i needed to make and it was a snap....

THEN, i spent 45 minutes trying to get the slide stop and slide stop spring to behave....
one problem.....

the Slide Stop Spring that CZ-USA sells is for the new version of the CZ-83 *not* my SHE89 CZ-82

the spring is "L" shaped (see below)

Some google research showed that the short part of the "L" sits in a small hole drilled somewhere in the frame of the CZ-83, apparently the factory was retrofitting '83s a while ago for free because the old style spring was prone to disappearing, but they don't officially support the '82, so people were saying their attempts were fruitless...

i don't want to be shipping guns to K.C.,K. unless i *really* have to, so a google search for "CZ-82 Slide Stop Springs" brought up an oolldd forum post from this guy Norm Sutton down in florida who makes an updated version of the spring which should stay put.... i emailed him to make sure he was still alive and still making springs, he assured me he was (on both counts) and sent me an updated forum link:
http://olderthendirt.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=buy&action=display&thread=313&

$5 for the spring and shipping, he accepts PayPal, i ordered half a dozen....
*he also makes springs for the P64 and i'm sure some other stuff....

i also tried cutting down a large safety pin that i happened to have on the wife's desk... it was too thick to fit though.... i'm positive it would've worked and i would've loved to brag for the MacGuyver points...

Norm said he'd mail the springs today... so... the saga continues....

NOW I NEED GRIPS!!!!

my thought is to eventually refinish both of my CZ-82s, and stick wooden grips on one, probably carbon fiber or kevlar on the other..... for now i'd settle for factory stock beat up plastic grips as long as they were in one piece...
(hint to anyone out there who may have a spare set they're willing to part with)

also hopefully this thread will be indexed by google so anyone wondering why the L shaped slide stop spring they got from CZ-USA isn't working will see this and have any easier path to finding the right spring (or enough info to make their own)

*also heard a nasty rumor that CZ is stopping production on the '83....
we should probably order some spare internal parts......

ETA: more photos and words added in post 20 and later

Last edited:
cz 82s are pretty cheap at surplus dealers online. unless you've got your kit on the cheap...
how much did you pay for it in total?

BTW if you don't mind after-market grips there are couple of choices out there.

$75 for the box o'parts
probably $114 in parts and shipping....
considering it came with zero magazines, i probably could've ordered a second CZ from the place i got the first for about the same $$.... but... that's not entirely the point :)
this way i got to learn how to assemble the thing (without potentially ruining my original) i was able to piece it together rather than having to dump a lump of cash at once..

and i turned a box of junk parts into a functioning firearm again :)

i think whenever someone takes a bunch of parts and turns 'em into a working firearm, Martha and the antis die a little.....

i know there are aftermarket grips out there.... looking at Marschal and designergrips.com for when i do the refinish....
but if i could find factory grips for cheap ($20 from cz but they're out of stock) i'd go with those for now just to hold the pins in place...
i'll probably take the grips off my original '82 just to take this thing to the range and shoot it this weekend.....

Last edited:
I had bought some parts from Norm Sutton a few years ago. I just can't remember if they were parts for the CZ82, the CZ52, The Makarov or the P64! [laugh] Either way, I remember the transaction going pretty smoothly and he's a trusted guy.

Glad you're turning that pile of parts into a shooter again!

[laugh2]

Weird thing about the CZ82 is that none of the handguns the Czechs developed before it were anywhere near as complicated.

If you've ever torn down a CZ27, CZ50, CZ52 etc..., they're all fairly simple designs.

Marchals grips are very nice. I have the ambi finger grooved red oil stained.
I had a cz82 basically self destruct on me. The pins kept walking out of place.
Particular to the pin that goes through hammer. Its supposed to be staked through the top of the beaver tail?
Greg derr tried stakeing it a few times after I had him cerakote it....it just wont stay put.
last time out I lost the small little ball bearing .....lost interest in it. I to purchased many parts from Cz Usa. Only thing is I had to provide them with part numbers! They where very lack on info at the time

This is impressive. I was thinking of tearing down my CZ-82 a little further than the standard cleaning stuff. Then I read an article on the net about how complicated the mechanisms are, and one guy that (fortunately) lived near the CZ-USA headquarters, and took all the stuff to them in a bag so they could put it back together again.

I'm not one to shy away from a gun rip-down/reassembly, but it does seem like the CZ-82 was unnecessarily complicated.

I'll leave mine alone, but I know who to talk to if I ever decide to rip it apart and get jammed up.

You just have to think about the move your trying to make and be patient..... I saw some guys made a tool from a jewellers screw driver and a dremel.... But an 1/8" punch was all I needed..... Took a few tries and some hand coordination...

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Pics?

If you run into a wall with finding grips, what about ordering a pair of those Marschal grips? I've never seen his work in person but lots of guys on the Makarov/ P64 forums rave about them.

I'll post some pics soon...... I was thinking of going marschal after refinishing...... (black, maybe red stain, nickel maybe lighter colored.....) For now I ordered a set of carbon fiber grips from designergrips.com

I was going to put the grips from my orig. CZ on the new one, but they wouldn't drop on (need clearance by the safety) and I don't want to grind on 'em cause they fit the gun they're on......

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Oh so you're thinking of maybe refinishing in something other than blue? Cool. Go with hard chrome and spend twice as much as the pistol is worth!! [smile] It'll be badass and I'll hold yer beer.

well... the hard chrome does look nice :)

i was thinking one black ceracote,
maybe the other black slide, hard chrome frame......

haven't decided yet though......

7111395153_598e235cca_z.jpg

two tone with wood might be a bit too pimp for my tastes...

xp3q0y10.jpg

Here are the springs:

8098304399_90deb3a867_z.jpg

i had to trim to length and open up the hook part a bit....

and here they are... JBP makes a nice holster....

8098304289_9fd3887a45_z.jpg

better put the unloaded/gripless one back in the safe before it kills me ;)

8098304217_ce48684c96_z.jpg

Blue Santa brought me a present :)

8114891066_cbb18b8c2f_z.jpg

Carbon Fiber Grips from Designer Grips

This guy has redeemed Oklahoma in my eyes.... i promise to do my best to not knock Oklahoma anymore when i talk about my time at Basic and AIT at Fort Sill.......

i may even stop badmouthing local son Blake Shelton... no promises though....

sorry for the crappy cell phone camera pics, didn't feel like dragging the real camera out, i just wanted to get these bad larrys on the gun as quick as i could!

i believe the yellow is kevlar reinforcement...

8114890680_7814f534c5_z.jpg

Front:
8114890300_01afb51928_z.jpg

i ordered them Tuesday or Wednesday.... got an immediate email saying they were in process and he hoped to ship them by Friday...
they went out Friday and arrived (USPS) today.... how's that for a quick turn around?!?

now i just need to save my pennies for some refinishing :)

8114880849_21ba203ee8_z.jpg

wife's 12 weeks pregnant though.... so refinishing might have to wait 19 years.... ;)

ETA:
"do they make it go faster?"

yes, Carbon Fiber grips add 30FPS to FMJs, but only 15FPS to HPs....
i need an NOS sticker to get the HPs faster....

NOS.jpg

Last edited:
Range Report:

tl;dr - i have all ten fingers still

went down to Woodcock, loaded up one round, bottom of the x-ring
checked to make sure the firing pin wasn't stuck in the "slamfire position" (had issues dry-firing with no brass/snap cap in the chamber)

loaded two rounds in the magazine, fire both no problem... both in the X ring...

first 5 shots all landed in the X ring, i fired the next 25 rapid-fire by riding the reset, only 2 or 3 out of 30 were outside the 9 ring...
thing shoots beautifully :)

8122325676_a05bfd9a3c_z.jpg

First gun I've ever owned, and probably the most reliable. It's not picky with ammo, goes bang every time the trigger is pulled, is more then adequately accurate for the price. It also works just as well if you are not a meticulous cleaner when it comes to cleaning after a range session.

Back
Top Bottom