• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cutting down a C&R Shotgun

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
According to this:

18 U.S.C. 27 CFR § 478.11 does not specifically state that a firearm must be in its original condition to be classified as a C&R firearm. However, ATF Ruling 85-10, which discusses the importation of military C&R firearms, notes that they must be in original configuration and adds that a receiver is not a C&R item. Combining this ruling and the definition of C&R firearms, the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) has concluded that a firearm must be in its original condition to be considered a C&R weapon.
It is also the opinion of FTB, however, that a minor change such as the addition of scope mounts, non-original sights, or sling swivels would not remove a firearm from its original condition. Moreover, we have determined that replacing particular firearms parts with new parts that are made to the original design would also be acceptable-for example, replacing a cracked M1 Grand stock with a new wooden stock of the same design, but replacing the original firearm stock with a plastic stock would change its classification as a C&R item.

Am I correct to think I can not shorten the barrel of a Shotgun bought with my C&R?

That's how I'm reading it. Keep in mind also that you can't go to SBS length in MA.

The way I have read it is that if you shorten the barrel, it is no longer considered a C&R firearm. I.e. you can't sell as C&R. Nothing says you can't have it. Like Kalash pointed out, in Mass, you can't SBS it. Have to use a factory barrel.

I have a Remington Model 11 from 1926 that I was going to turn into a Bonnie and Cylde whippit gun, but can't in this state.

Aloha

I'm not so sure it wouldn't be c&r anymore. At first I thought so but then I thought about some of the sporterized rifles that are still C&R. If you don't plan to sell it, its a moot point anyway.

Here's the key: "original military configuration".

Non-military firearms don't have to be in original configuration.

If you turn it into an NFA item, it will be NFA, and C&R status won't matter.

Back
Top Bottom