CT Legislature Activity

On the CT Legislature website, there is document called "2009 Major Issues." It highlights two items under Firearms. The first is to review CT law to see what, if anything, is in conflict with the Heller decision, so that it can be changed. The second is to review law concerning assault weapons because of the child/Uzi/gun show incident.

I confess I have no idea whether this document has any influence or predictive power concerning how our elected reps spend their time, but it could be a worthwhile reference to include if you happen to be writing them a letter about gun matters. It does not say anything about various bills listed on the NRA lobbying website(http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=4358). I also saw a post somewhere that I can not find right now about a law that would allow some duly appointed bureaucrat to close shooting ranges on a whim.

Here is the stuff from "2009 Major Issues."

http://www.cga.ct.gov/olr/09MajorIssues/2008-R-0646.pdf

Firearms and the Second Amendment

Now that the U.S. Supreme Court has held that the Second Amendment protects an individual’s right to bear arms separate and apart from military service, the legislature may choose to look at whether any of the state’s gun laws impermissibly burden the exercise of this right. This may include looking at registration requirements, background checks, waiting periods for purchasers, places where guns may be carried, and the kinds of people allowed to possess guns.

Read OLR’s report:
“Summary of D.C. v. Heller” 2008-R-0578

Assault Weapons

In light of a case involving an eight-year-old who shot and killed himself at a “Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo” at the Westfield Sportsmen’s Club in Massachusetts, the legislature may reexamine its laws governing assault weapons and machine guns, particularly as they relate to minors.
December 18,2008 Page 23 of 26 2008-R-0646

Read OLR’s report:
“Shooting Range Safety Standards” 2008-R-0624

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom