Course Review: Free Reloading Class @ Kittery Trading Post

Dirtypacman

NES Door Greeter
July 17, 2007 6-8pm
Introduction to Reloading

see linky here:
http://www.ktpevents.com/interior.php/pid/6/eid/76

I will be attending and just wanted to spread the word that these class's are free and from what I heard not a bad place to start for the reloader beginner.

I expect to attend the following weeks class also for Reloading.
July 24, 2007 Intermediate Reloading

Of course I will be checking out all the goodies at the same time.

Drop a line here if your thinking you might want to join in and I will look for you while im there.

Last edited:
I was in there a few weekends ago when I was up at my Maine Office. And they were talking about this class...

The guys at the reloading counter even said that it's also good for people that currently reload. Becaues depending on who's in the class they might move forward on what they teach...

Yes from the people I spoke with you can actually get pretty involved directly with the trainer/supervisor... so Im hoping I can get a pretty good overview and continue with the Intermidiate level to start my reloading by the end of the month :)

I agree the weekend would have been perfect but they do not offer it.
I will be cutting it close getting to Kittery by 6pm but figured even if I run a couple minutes behind its still worth it.

Class Review:

Very basic introduction to the reloading world. The instructor John was very nice and knowledgable. Explained the basic safety of reloading and touched upon many different tools used to perform the reloading process. Different types of casings and bullets were discussed but not in great detail. This first class was not hands on but I was told the intermediate class will get into the actual functioning of the equipment and see it in action. As John went through the class I found the majority of the questions I had come in with were answered without ever having to speak up. I feel much more confident after attending and look forward to next week's intermidiate class.

WIll be back tomorrow Tuesday 24 for the Intermidiate class... just throwing it out there in case any one else is planning on it.

Will give a review of that class also.

How often do they do these? I'll likely get into reloading sometime in the future, but have no idea what's involved or where to begin. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Intermediate Course Review:

As stated I followed up on last weeks course by going to the 2nd class at KTP last night. Same Instructor and many of the same faces made the return very comfortable.

In this second session the instructor John went through the basics of using both a Shot-Shell Press, Single Stage Rifle/Pistol and Progressive Rifle/Pistol press. He went through each stage of the process answering questions on certain do's/don'ts or what to expect from each stage. It was again very easy to follow the steps he was taking and passed around finished products of each stage to see the process in action. The basics were touched upon from the first class but this class was more hands on seeing how the equipment actually works. I stayed an extra 20 minutes after the class for some Q+A's and John took the time to try and answer all questions before closing up shop. I walked out feeling very comfortable to start my reloading this weekend.

I give this course an A due to 3 factors:

1) Cost - Free
2) Location - Who does not want to hang at the KTP
3) Instructional- very easy to follow and time to answer 1 on 1 questions when needed

I purchased the Dillon 550 and the whole nine yards to get set up this weekend. I'll let you know how I make out with that :)

I'm glad that you enjoyed the class. Thanks for the review. Maybe because of this review, more people will see how easy it can be to get started.

I think that a fear of the unknown is a factor why people don't reload. They are worried that they will make a mistake and it can be a problem.

While that's true, classes like this I think will minimize that feeling. They can show that with some patience and safety measures, you can make as good, or even better ammo cheaper than buying off the shelf.

After reading Dirtypacman's reviews, I signed up for the beginner & intermediate courses in August (14th & 21st, I believe). If anyone else is going, shoot me a line so we can hook up. If you're coming from the Boston area, maybe we could even carpool.

-C

Back
Top Bottom