could one of you guys ID these guns please?

I believe one is a S&W 686SSR. Or at least that's the one it's most similar to in S&W current model line. The other is a Beretta Tomcat or similar.

The reason I ask is that these belonged to my father in law. He passed away about 6 years ago and my mother-in-law has had these in the house since and said I can have them. I need to figure out how to transfer them to me and whether they're legal in MA. I believe I'm fine on the revolver but not sure on the Beretta. Any thoughts? Thanks.

gun1.jpg

open the cylinder on the SW and you'll see the model number on the frame. Can't tell from here but it is an early version with square butt grips, non MIM trigger and hammer. Also next to the model number most likely will be a - (dash) and a number...maybe unless it's early enough so that there is not dash. The dash indicated a revision or modification number.

The other side of the barrel shows the caliber.

Let us know what it says. Whatever, it's a nice early version and is definitely worth holding onto.

The SW is definitely legal in Ma.

open the cylinder on the SW and you'll see the model number on the frame. Can't tell from here but it is an early version with square butt grips, non MIM trigger and hammer. Also next to the model number most likely will be a - (dash) and a number...maybe unless it's early enough so that there is not dash. The dash indicated a revision or modification number.

The other side of the barrel shows the caliber.

Let us know what it says. Whatever, it's a nice early version and is definitely worth holding onto.

The SW is definitely legal in Ma.

Thanks a lot Pilgrim. What does MIM mean? It's definitely a .357 but I'm a noob especially with revolvers. I'll have to take a good look at it next time I'm out there. The guy was pretty much a bastard (my MIL is great) but he had excellent taste in weapons. There's also a Remington 700 BDL and an 870 Wingmaster that I'll be keeping.

Paul,

If those are located in MA already, then there is no issue as to whether they are legal or not.

As to the transfer, if they are located in state, the transfer will have to go through a FFL unless you MIL is licensed. If they are out of state, then they have to go through a FFL in the other state to a FFL in MA. The Tomcat can not be sold in MA unless it was here before 1998 http://fsguns.com/fsg_information.html

Gary

Paul,

If those are located in MA already, then there is no issue as to whether they are legal or not.

As to the transfer, if they are located in state, the transfer will have to go through a FFL unless you MIL is licensed. If they are out of state, then they have to go through a FFL in the other state to a FFL in MA. The Tomcat can not be sold in MA unless it was here before 1998 http://fsguns.com/fsg_information.html

Gary

Thanks Gary. I should have mentioned that these are in CO right now so I guess I'm out of luck on the Tomcat. No biggie. I don't really like it that much.

If your MIL is the executor, she can FA-10 the guns to you
directly, I believe. (I'm going on the assumption that you probably
have the required LTC) There are tons of articles in the gun
law subforum about this. (Scriv and others have wrote about
it to a great extent) There are numerous BATFE and state
level exceptions for transferring firearms out of an estate. This is
one of the rare cases where the "owner" need not have an LTC to
transfer the gun to you.

-Mike

Revolver looks to be a model 66. I would guess it is a 66-1 as it has square butt, old style cylinder release, and internal trigger stop, serrated forged trigger, and .400 wide hammer. Check to see if the barrel is pinned in front of the cylinder. I can not see in the photo so I can not be positive on the -1 part.

Regards,

Agreed; this is an early Model 66, vintage say 1960 through about 1970. Basically, it is a stainless version of the Model 19, and one of the finest revolvers that Smith made. It is definitely a keeper.

You can find a lot more history via Roy Jinks' books (or other sources), but I believe it to be accurate that the Model 19 was produced at the behest of then Smith president Carl Hellstrom, in response to a request by Bill Jordan for a revolver that combined .357 power with K-Frame portability, for use by the U.S. Border Patrol. The result was the "Combat Magnum," which became the Model 19 when Smith changed to model numbers in about 1957. The 4-inch M19 is the most versatile revolver that Smith ever made, and is even more desirable in stainless.

Note, though, that K-Frame .357s of this vintage were not designed for a steady diet of full-house .357 loads.

Thanks a lot guys. Great info. Am I correct that I can shoot .38's through it also? That would be nice for range shooting with it.

Yes, you can shoot .38Sp in any .357Mag revolver.

Great looking gun.

There are some fine points of law wrt inheritance, so it will depend on what your late FIL's directions to his Wife were on disposition of guns.

- If "inheritance" can fly here, both guns could be shipped direct to you with NO FFLs required/desired (per Fed Law). You would then do FA-10s on both handguns and any long guns as "Registration". [If shipped to an FFL in MA, no exceptions, s/he could NOT transfer them to you (even if inheritance) unless both are on the MA compliant list . . . very unlikely that a S&W 66 or 66-1 would be on the list. Thus, you would be SOL.]

- If a "standard transfer", then the guns MUST be on the EOPS List (most S&Ws list SPECIFIC -numbers) AND you only need ONE FFL in MA (for handguns), so your MIL could then ship (MA-compliant only) to a MA FFL for your pickup. [I don't think that will work for either gun however, as I would expect neither to be on the EOPS List.]

Lots of this info is already posted in Stickies in the Gun Laws forum.

Back
Top Bottom