• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cool pics of Glock 19 at range yesterday...

Lxpony

NES Member
This is 3 sequential shots of a round being fired... I was thrilled at the photos.. THe second photo I believe it just as the bullet is exiting the barrel

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

Nice shots. How did you take them?

My digital camera won't cycle that fast. I'm guessing you have a top end Nikon or Cannon.

Can you tell us some technical details about how you took those shots, shutter speed, camera set for "burst"?

Thanks

Bill

The first shot was a set-up shot as you can see the target on the ground was at a different angle..

But #2 and 3 were shot with a old-ass Sony 3.2 MP camera I bought back in 2002. The camera has a "burst" mode that takes 2 photos within .2 seconds of each other.

The F-stop and shutter speed with all automatically set by the auto mode on the camera. The shutter speed was limited by how dark it was. I assume if it was brighter out the speed would have been faster and less blurry

Cool pics. I'm guessing the bullet had just left the barrel and the slide is about to start cyclying.

Does that mean the 1st shot of the 2 shot sequence was just a guess on your part as to when the camera was going to start snapping? Was the camera on auto-pilot or did someone else take the pics?
They are nice pics. Mine always come out lousy when I try to do it. Not to change the subject, but is the finger in front of the trigger guard your normal grip? I just can't get used to that.
-Cuz.

Nice pics!

Now do yourself a favor and keep your support hand index finger off of the trigger guard! Do that and your groups will improve. (Sorry, that is one of my many pet peeves!)

I had my finger on the guard because I was doing a full 15 round mag dump and wanted to do all I could to keep the gun at the same angle and area so it wouldnt travel out of the shot of my buddy taking the photos... I usually dont have the left index finger holding on for dear life... LOL

My budy took the shots during the 15 round barrage so it was simply by luck that he got these two shots of the same round being fired and the gun subsequently cycling

Cudos on the pics.... that's good advise about the support hand finger on the trigger guard... you'll have better control with it under the trigger guard though.... try it and see if you like it.....

I had my finger on the guard because I was doing a full 15 round mag dump and wanted to do all I could to keep the gun at the same angle and area so it wouldnt travel out of the shot of my buddy taking the photos... I usually dont have the left index finger holding on for dear life... LOL

My budy took the shots during the 15 round barrage so it was simply by luck that he got these two shots of the same round being fired and the gun subsequently cycling

Ahh, grasshopper. I beg your forgiveness.

From Wikipedia, assuming you used 147 gr bullets, that's about 980 ft/s for a 9mm. I downloaded one of your pictures so that I could look at the exif information contained therein. You used a Sony Cybershot, shutter speed of 1/500th of a second and an aperture of f/5 for the 2 action shots.

Dividing 980 ft/second by 1/500th second gives you 1.96 feet. Since picture number 2 shows the slide at complete rest before it started moving (the ghosting one can see) one can assume the bullet was at most 1.96 feet beyong the barrel of the gun.

I am geek like that. [smile] All in all a pretty lucky capture. I bet you couldn't do it again if you tried.

From Wikipedia, assuming you used 147 gr bullets, that's about 980 ft/s for a 9mm. I downloaded one of your pictures so that I could look at the exif information contained therein. You used a Sony Cybershot, shutter speed of 1/500th of a second and an aperture of f/5 for the 2 action shots.

Dividing 980 ft/second by 1/500th second gives you 1.96 feet. Since picture number 2 shows the slide at complete rest before it started moving (the ghosting one can see) one can assume the bullet was at most 1.96 feet beyong the barrel of the gun.

I am geek like that. [smile] All in all a pretty lucky capture. I bet you couldn't do it again if you tried.

My head hurts now.

You are a beast

No matter how fast you press that trigger, you'll still have better control under the trigger guard than you do on front of guard...

1 rep point on the way.

Back
Top Bottom