• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Converting Dillion 450 to a 550

Like the title says, I have a 450 with the auto prime, index, etc.. It needs a 550 frame to transform into a 550.

Has anybody here done it? If you have, did you send it to Dillion or did you do it yourself? I'm hoping to hear from some body with some experience with this. Thanks.

I'm sure you've found this: http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23995/catid/6/Dillon_RL_450_Upgrade_Frame_Change_Kit

If you have turning and milling capability it wouldn't be hard to do, but it would be time consuming to make the fixture to accurately do it yourself. The cutter to cut the keyway for the tool heads probably isn't cheap if you don't already have it. Plus, there's penalty for failure. Aka- if you mess up, you don't have a functional reloading press anymore. If you have nothing but time, a lathe, and a milling machine, I say go for it. If you want it quick and hassle free, buy it.

You can do it yourself with a new 550 frame.
Several years ago I looked into this as I came across 2 450s I called Dillon and confirmed one was the older model and up grades and some parts where not available. They went over the cost of converting the newer 450 and I was not far from the cost of a new 550...80$ or so. I still have not purchased a progressive press.

Here's how...

This weekend at a dealer in maine, there is a 15% off coupon for certain items. Their normal price for a 550b is $420 (no caliber conversion included) That gets you down below $360 for the press.... (I got my 550 a few years ago with a 20% off coupon. Best money I've ever spent)

You could probably strip the press and sell the parts in ebay and do pretty well

Back
Top Bottom