convert a telescoping stock to fixed stock-SKS

I have an SKS, and I would like to put a tapco T6 stock and detachable magazine on it. Because the tapco stock also has a pistol grip, I am assuming that the adjustable/telescoping stock would then be illegal under the CT AWB. No problem, then, I'll pin the stock. (I know I face ridicule for a pinned stock, but it is still the best stock for the SKS, so I'll bear that cross [grin] )

My question is what do I have to do in order to be legal under the AWB as far as pinning the stock? Is there anything special required, or is it as simple as driving a screw through the stock to prevent it from moving? has the SFLU made any pronouncements as to what constitutes an adequate procedure for converting one of these?

Thanks in advance

I'd not mess around with the magazine conversion. Mine was very unreliable when I tried it. Never EVER had a malfunction with the fixed internal 10 round box magazine. If you do convert it, don't forget the bayonet lug has to go, if it's there. Also, don't forget that if you modify that imported rifle, you have to be compliant with the federal 922r law when it comes to foreign parts count. Parts count doesn't matter if you leave it stock. Sounds like you're trying to make it into an AK. You'd be better off buying a CT legal AK in any caliber other than 7.62. I have one in 5.45 and LOVE it! I hate this f***ing AWB garbage. You can't have an AK-47 chambered in 7.62, but you can convert an SKS to use detachable mags and have exactly the same firepower/capacity in 7.62 and that's perfectly legal. Retarded...

As for pinning the stock, contact Jo Jo's Gunworks in Southington. These guys will know and it's probably perfectly legal. I've seen plenty of people in CT with pinned AR stocks.

I want a 7.62x39 gun with a detachable mag. I really don't care if it is an AK, AR, Mini30 or SKS. Having said that, I really don't want to pay a lot of money either. SKS gets me there. The tapco magazine works great to a point. You can not insert or remove the mag with the bolt closed. Kind of lame, but that's the design of the weapon. I'll probably end up with a mini 30. AR variants in 7.62x39 are just so darned expensive.

Even with a mini 30, I'd like to put a tapco stock on it. I love the forward/scout rail. It will make a good home for my aimpoint.

Either way, I'll end up pinning the stock. I'll call Jo Jo's. Thanks for the reference.

I want a 7.62x39 gun with a detachable mag. I really don't care if it is an AK, AR, Mini30 or SKS.

Definitely a NO GO in CT for the AK in 7.62 since it's specifically banned by name in the AWB.

However, I LOVE my 10 shot non-removable magazine SKS. Finally brought this puppy back from my Dad's safe where I left it years ago in Arizona. Lots of "evil" features...pistol grip, folding stock, bayonet lug, flash suppressor... And completely LEGAL in CT since it is NOT an assault rifle. It has to have the capability to accept detachable magazines for the "evil" feature list to count. That's why I only have ONE on my AK-74...the pistol grip.

SKS.jpg

Mk-74.jpg

Last edited:
Is the SKS Sporter CT legal?

Yes, perfectly legal. There is not one single mention of anything SKS in the CT laws or AWB.

You can make it illegal after the fact by modifying it and not complying with 922 and have 10 or less foreign parts. Or, convert it to use detachable magazines and have more than ONE "evil" feature. The fixed magazine on mine allows me to have the pistol grip, folding stock, bayonet lug and flash suppressor since it's not considered an "assault rifle" according to CT law.

Yes, perfectly legal. There is not one single mention of anything SKS in the CT laws or AWB.

You can make it illegal after the fact by modifying it and not complying with 922 and have 10 or less foreign parts. Or, convert it to use detachable magazines and have more than ONE "evil" feature. The fixed magazine on mine allows me to have the pistol grip, folding stock, bayonet lug and flash suppressor since it's not considered an "assault rifle" according to CT law.

This is the SKS Sporter that I was referring to ... the one that takes AK magazines. This picture is not of the one I own, but it's similar:

pix1878628406.jpg

This is the SKS Sporter that I was referring to ... the one that takes AK magazines. This picture is not of the one I own, but it's similar:

pix1878628406.jpg

I see... Didn't know the sporter used AK mags, but it is still perfectly legal to own in Connecticut. Only the "AK-47 TYPE" rifles are specifically named. There's nothing in the actual laws that define what "type" means and the SFLU are the ones who make the rules. I was told by SGT. Bastura, who is the XO of the SFLU, that to be a "type", the rifle had to meet 3 criteria...all of them.

1) Does it look like an AK-47? Well, sort of, but not exactly like my AK-74 does.

2) Does if function like an AK-47? Pretty much as does my AK-74

Now, here's the kicker...

3) Can AK-47 parts be swapped into it and it function correctly? Nope, definitely not with the SKS and with my AK-74... Don't know if the parts would fit, but even if they did... Sorry, you're not jamming a 7.62 into a 5.45 bore and have it work "correctly".

That said, it would be considered (incorrectly) by CT to be an illegal assault rifle IF it has more than one "evil" feature on it since it's a semi-auto that uses detachable mags. The one in the picture may even be illegal if they consider that stock to have a pistol grip with the bayonet lug on it. A pistol grip is defined in CT as "conspicuously protruding from beneath the action of the weapon", so I could see that stock as having a "pistol grip" according to that description.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom