Constitutional Carry in Maine (Becomes Effective 10/14/15)

Fun, I bet they won't discuss how much it costs in staff power/time/postage/etc to administer that whole ball of shit.

-Mike

Bangor Daily News likes to get people riled up over gun issues. It sells papers and increases hits on the page. Remember how all the media reported that CC was dead in the committee. That did not happen either.

Anna Ginn: People’s veto should decide legality of carrying concealed guns

At bottom, the debate is about what sort of society we wish to live in: more guns everywhere, even concealed and in churches, or sensible regulation of guns, including regulated concealed carry, which is the law in nearly every other state and has worked well in Maine for nearly 100 years.

<http://www.pressherald.com/2015/06/22/maine-voices-maine-could-be-a-leader-in-the-national-debate-about-guns/>

At bottom, the debate is about what sort of society we wish to live in: more guns everywhere, even concealed and in churches, or sensible regulation of guns, including regulated concealed carry, which is the law in nearly every other state and has worked well in Maine for nearly 100 years.

<http://www.pressherald.com/2015/06/22/maine-voices-maine-could-be-a-leader-in-the-national-debate-about-guns/>

The gun lobby will claim, as it always does in these all-too-frequent occasions, that criminals won’t obey the law anyway, so why make it illegal to carry a concealed gun? Well, that line of reasoning can be applied to any criminal behavior – murderers will murder anyway, so why make it illegal? Rapists will rape anyway … and so on, for any crime you choose.

::facepalm::

Somebody flunked ethics 101.

The Senate just enacted Constitutional Carry. All that is left is for the Gov to sign it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Senate just enacted Constitutional Carry. All that is left is for the Gov to sign it.

So they got around the "budget" whining/problem? (IIRC some were whining that the state was going to lose money from it).

-Mike

Constitutional Carry in Maine

The Legislature is finished with LD652. All issues resolved. The bill is on the way downstairs to LaPages office for signing.

Nra is reporting this is for Maine residents only, did something change?

No where in the bill does it mention resident

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:

Sec. 1. 12 MRSA §11212, sub-§1, ¶B, as amended by PL 2005, c. 477, §9, is further amended to read:
B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer or other type of vehicle a loaded pistol or revolver .
Sec. 2. 25 MRSA §2001-A, sub-§2, ¶A-1 is enacted to read:
A-1. A handgun carried by a person who is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm;
Summary​
This bill authorizes a person who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm to carry a concealed handgun without a permit. This bill also authorizes a person to possess a loaded pistol or revolver while in a motor vehicle or a trailer or other vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle.

True but they originally only wanted this for residents so I wasn't sure if they took a step back

That garbage got cut out of it, because it would defeat pretty much the whole purpose of the bill. The people who live there and want to carry probably have licenses. The ones that don't live there don't want to go through the pain in the ass process to get the license.

-Mike

As already stated, CC in Maine will cover all persons who can legally own a gun regardless of residency. Maine.. the way life should be.

The only shit part of this law that I saw was the must notify crap. Then again it's still way better than not having it.

-Mike

That garbage got cut out of it, because it would defeat pretty much the whole purpose of the bill. The people who live there and want to carry probably have licenses. The ones that don't live there don't want to go through the pain in the ass process to get the license.

-Mike

Im one of those people who already carry and will keep my permit so I dont need to notify LEO if pulled over.

No where in the bill does it mention resident

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:

Sec. 1. 12 MRSA §11212, sub-§1, ¶B, as amended by PL 2005, c. 477, §9, is further amended to read:
B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer or other type of vehicle a loaded pistol or revolver .
Sec. 2. 25 MRSA §2001-A, sub-§2, ¶A-1 is enacted to read:
A-1. A handgun carried by a person who is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm;
Summary​
This bill authorizes a person who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm to carry a concealed handgun without a permit. This bill also authorizes a person to possess a loaded pistol or revolver while in a motor vehicle or a trailer or other vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle.

Where do they mention the age stipulations?

Constitutional Carry in Maine

Yes but I am on my phone so cannot provide the link. You can go to maine.gov th and click the link for the legislature and then do a LD search using LD 652. You will get the page for the bill on the left will be the amendments link.

Yes but I am on my phone so cannot provide the link. You can go to maine.gov th and click the link for the legislature and then do a LD search using LD 652. You will get the page for the bill on the left will be the amendments link.

Thanks found it

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/bills_127th/billtexts/SP024507.asp

Session - 127th Maine LegislatureH "B" to C "A", Filing Number H-247, Sponsored by McCabe
LR 280
Item 7
Bill Tracking, Additional DocumentsChamber Status

Amend the amendment by inserting after the title the following:
Amend the bill in section 1 in paragraph B in the 3rd line from the end (page 1, line 9 in L.D.) by inserting after the following: " weapon" the following: ' is 21 years of age or older and'Amend the bill in section 2 in paragraph A-1 in the first line (page 1, line 13 in L.D.) by inserting after the following: " person who" the following: ' is 21 years of age or older and'​

SUMMARY
Under the bill, a person who is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm may carry a concealed weapon without a permit. This amendment limits that authorization to persons who are 21 years of age or older.

Actually that is not it. That was never adopted. This is the one you want. This was the compromise to satisfy LaPage who said he would not sign it unless military persons 18+ were allowed to carry. http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/bills_127th/billtexts/SP024515.asp

Amend the bill in section 1 in paragraph B in the 3rd line from the end (page 1, line 9 in L.D.) by inserting after the following: " weapon" the following: ' is 21 years of age or older and'

Amend the bill in section 1 in paragraph B in the 3rd line from the end (page 1, line 9 in L.D.) by inserting after the following: " a firearm" the following: ' or is 18 years of age or older and under 21 years of age and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard or is an honorably discharged veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm'

Amend the bill in section 2 in paragraph A-1 in the first line (page 1, line 13 in L.D.) by inserting after the following: " person who" the following: ' is 21 years of age or older and'

Amend the bill in section 2 in paragraph A-1 in the last line (page 1, line 14 in L.D.) by inserting after the following: " firearm" the following: ' or is 18 years of age or older and under 21 years of age and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard or is an honorably discharged veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm'

SUMMARY

Under the bill, a person who is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm may carry a concealed handgun without a permit. This amendment incorporates the provisions of House Amendment "B" to Committee Amendment "A" and provides that a person who is 18 years of age or older and under 21 years of age and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard or is an honorably discharged veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm may carry a concealed handgun without a permit.

If it gets signed, you must notify.

You only must notify if you are carrying concealed with out a permit. If you have a permit you do not have to notify. Also, the fine for failure to notify is less than $100 as a civil violation. http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/bills_127th/billtexts/SP024516.asp

‘Sec. 3. 25 MRSA §2003-A is enacted to read:

§ 2003-A. Duty to inform law enforcement

When an individual who is carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of this chapter and who does not have a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun that has been issued as provided in this chapter first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this State or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop, that individual shall immediately inform that law enforcement officer of the fact that the individual is carrying a concealed handgun.

Sec. 4. 25 MRSA §2004, sub-§5 is enacted to read:
5. Failure to inform law enforcement. A person who fails to comply with section 2003-A commits a civil violation for which a fine of not more than $100 may be adjudged.’

SUMMARY

This amendment incorporates the provisions of House Amendment "A" to Committee Amendment "A" and provides that the duty of an individual to inform a law enforcement officer that the individual is carrying a concealed handgun applies only to an individual who does not have a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun that has been issued as provided in the Maine Revised Statutes, Title 25, chapter 252.

Actually that is not it. That was never adopted. This is the one you want. This was the compromise to satisfy LaPage who said he would not sign it unless military persons 18+ were allowed to carry. http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/bills_127th/billtexts/SP024515.asp

lol laws suck! My head hurt still from last weeks class on Mass law too.

- - - Updated - - -

You only must notify if you are carrying concealed with out a permit. If you have a permit you do not have to notify. Also, the fine for failure to notify is less than $100 as a civil violation. http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/bills_127th/billtexts/SP024516.asp

How do you keep up, reading maine law a hobby?

Yes.. I agree.... laws suck. :) I have been following this from Day One. I have learned a lot about both the process and the manner in which government works and laws are passed. What I learned is that it does suck. I think the Volk amendment is the biggest waste of time of LD 652. In order to get some people to vote for this bill, the Volk Amendment needed to be added. Any FFL dealer who sells a handgun must present a safety brochure to the buyer. The buyer must sign it in front of the seller and then the buyer stuffs it in his or her pocket and takes it with them. WTF? Why have such useless law??? Because it secured votes.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/bills_127th/billtexts/SP024508.asp

Here it is.

‘Sec. 3. 25 MRSA §2001-A, sub-§3 is enacted to read:
3. Firearm safety brochure. Upon purchase of a handgun, a person exempt under subsection 2, paragraph A-1 shall sign in the presence of the firearm dealer an acknowledgment that the person was provided a basic firearm safety brochure in accordance with section 2012, subsection 2, paragraph A. The purchaser shall retain the acknowledgment. The Department of Public Safety shall post on the department's publicly accessible website a basic firearm safety brochure, an acknowledgment form and a list of safety programs certified by a national nonprofit membership organization that provides a volunteer safety program, including the training of people in the safe handling and use of handguns.

Sec. 4. 25 MRSA §2012, sub-§1, ¶A, as enacted by PL 1991, c. 127, is amended to read:
A. "Basic firearm safety brochure" means a brochure, produced by a national, nonprofit membership organization that provides a comprehensive voluntary safety program including the training of people in the safe handling and use of firearms or by any other organization, that contains the following information relating to firearms:

(1) Rules for safe handling, storage and use of firearms;

(2) Nomenclature and descriptions of various types of firearms; and

(3) Responsibilities of firearm ownership . ; and

(4) The following information developed by the Department of Public Safety:

(a) A list of locations where handguns are prohibited; and

(b) Information concerning the use of handguns for self-defense.

Amend the amendment by relettering or renumbering any nonconsecutive Part letter or section number to read consecutively.

summary

This amendment requires a person who is authorized under the bill to carry a concealed handgun without a permit to sign an acknowledgment that the person was provided a firearm safety brochure upon purchase of a handgun. A firearm safety brochure is currently required to be provided with every firearm sold. The amendment adds to the information provided in the firearm safety brochure information developed by the Department of Public Safety related to locations where handguns are prohibited and information concerning the use of handguns for self-defense. The amendment requires the purchaser to retain the acknowledgment. It also requires the Department of Public Safety to post a firearm safety brochure and the acknowledgment form and a list of certified safety programs on the department's publicly accessible website.

Back
Top Bottom