• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Confirm if correct or educate me please

Found this in CT Law:

No permit or certificate is required to buy, possess, or carry long guns. But people cannot possess them, if they (1) were ever convicted of a felony or serious juvenile offense, (2) cannot legally possess firearms under federal law because they have been adjudicated as “mental defectives” or have been committed to a mental institution, or (3) know they are under a firearms seizure or restraining or protective order for using or threatening to use violence against someone else. State law sets no minimum age for possessing long guns.

My intent (MA resident with LTC A, no CT licenses):

To bring two MA compliant (non assault weapons per CT law as well) AR type rifles in a case in my trunk with trigger locks on them to a family member's house in CT just for show and tell. I do not plan on bringing any ammunition, magazines, or anything else firearm related.

Am I ok to do this? Do I need to lock the case that holds the rifles?

Thanks.

you are good..you can bring ammo/mags if you want...no restrictions..I fail to see anything about trigger locking it or locking it at all...

When long guns are being transported in a vehicle or snowmobile, they must be unloaded. A violation carries a fine of $ 10 to $ 100, imprisonment for up to 30 days or both (CGS § 53-205).

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-205.htm

Correct, he hit all your major points. The storage of the firearm (non specific to home or vehicle) must be in a way in which a minor cannot obtain access to said weapon without unlawful entry (CTGS 53a-217a)

EDIT: While it does not directly state you have to store it in this manner, the law itself lends to the basic idea of how to store it. IE, if you store in a manner in which a minor can get it, and use it, then you're negligent; however, if you store it correctly, the minor cannot gain access to it without unlawful entry, thereby, you circumvent the entire issue. Make sense?

Last edited:
I have to transport my "banned Colt" in a locked case per statute, but I could transport a post-ban bushmaster hanging from my rear view mirror.....

errr no ...

CTGS 53-205 said:
Sec. 53-205. Loaded shotguns, rifles and muzzleloaders in vehicles and snowmobiles. No person shall carry or possess in any vehicle or snowmobile any shotgun or rifle or muzzleloader of any gauge or caliber while such shotgun or rifle or muzzleloader contains in the barrel, chamber or magazine any loaded shell or cartridge capable of being discharged or when such muzzleloader has a percussion cap in place or when the powder pan of a flint lock contains powder. Muzzleloader as used in this section means a rifle or shotgun, incapable of firing a self-contained cartridge and which must be loaded at the muzzle end. The enforcement officers of the Department of Environmental Protection are empowered to enforce this section. The provisions of this section shall not apply to members of the military departments of the government or state while on duty or while traveling to or from assignments, or to enforcement officers, security guards or other persons employed to protect public or private property while in the performance of such duties. Any person who violates any provision of this section shall be fined not less than ten nor more than one hundred dollars or be imprisoned not more than thirty days or be both fined and imprisoned.

your pre/post rifles are RIFLES, and as such fall under this statute. It does not deliniate between pre and post ban.

EDIT:

And I would think that the rule for BB guns would be transferable to actual guns ....

CTGS-2938b said:
(4) any person having a BB. gun in a vehicle provided such weapon is unloaded and stored in the trunk of such vehicle or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console;

I think it's reasonable to assume if you can't have a BB gun in your car unlocked, you can't have any other gun which fires a projectile without it being locked. That's common sense. The notion (granted I know you were being fesecious) that you would hang a post ban from your rear view mirror would not be a bright idea LOL, all-be-it I would still get a laugh seeing it.

Last edited:
I just searched and still can find no law requiring me to lock my long guns or store them in my trunk...

That's what I am saying LOL ... the only law applies to BB guns. I think you can make the assumption it should apply to real guns too but by the letter of the law it doesn't.

That's what I am saying LOL ... the only law applies to BB guns. I think you can make the assumption it should apply to real guns too but by the letter of the law it doesn't.
The DPS, when I asked the question about my registered AK-Type, told me that a CT.-termed "Assault Weapon" must be locked in the trunk, unloaded. Absent a trunk, the gun must be secured in a hard-sided, locked case and absent any ammo. As far as regular long guns go, I've been carrying my unloaded shotgun to and from skeet shooting under a blanket in my back seat for years. Have to look more closely into this.

Just checked the NRA/ILA Firearms Laws for Connecticut (nraila.org) Indeed, assault weapons in CT. must be locked in the trunk, unloaded. Absent a trunk, secured in a locked case.

easy, Justin. Conn AK hit the nail on the head...

Tadaah....

53-202f (a) (2)

I stand corrected! I hadn't looked much into assault weapons transports. Thank you for correcting me. I am correct however that there is no 'official' rule for transporting other guns, yes?

Right. Just the "loaded" prohibition that you already covered. Long guns are not regulated too much (yet). By the letter of the law (excluding some broader interpretation that may be used by LEOs in certain situations), it is illegal to carry a BB gun in your car's glove box, but you can have a rifle or shotgun in your ash tray. There is that "or any other dangerous weapon.." sentence in the weapon in MV statute that pretty much could include anything though.

Right. Just the "loaded" prohibition that you already covered. Long guns are not regulated too much (yet). By the letter of the law (excluding some broader interpretation that may be used by LEOs in certain situations), it is illegal to carry a BB gun in your car's glove box, but you can have a rifle or shotgun in your ash tray. There is that "or any other dangerous weapon.." sentence in the weapon in MV statute that pretty much could include anything though.

which is typical of CT, leave the laws ambiguous so they can use them however they want.

Guys, your AK74 is not an assault weapon by CT statute, neither is a post ban style AR.

Assault weapons are essentially banned. By CT statute a post ban AR or AK74 is simply a rifle.

The only legal "assault weapons" ad defined by CT law are those that were registered within 1 year of the state law (not to be confused with the Clinton AWB that was passed about the same time) going into effect.

Bottom line is that you can carry any rifle or shotgun any way you please in your vehicle provided it is not loaded.

I am a firm believer in complying with the letter of the law, but nothing more, and occasionally bring my ARs to a friends to shoot by leaning them in the back seat of the car. (a very threatening volvo wagon)

The DPS, when I asked the question about my registered AK-Type, told me that a CT.-termed "Assault Weapon" must be locked in the trunk, unloaded. Absent a trunk, the gun must be secured in a hard-sided, locked case and absent any ammo. As far as regular long guns go, I've been carrying my unloaded shotgun to and from skeet shooting under a blanket in my back seat for years. Have to look more closely into this.

The DPS likes to make things up as they go. They told me my (now sold) AWB compliant AR-15 was an AWB lol ... when I challenged them on it they stopped answering my emails about it. See also the concealed carry 'law' in CT.

You need to read the laws yourself. Do NOT depend on the DPS website for guidance.

For example, the DPS web site says that if you sell a handgun, person to person, in CT, you must retain the paperwork for 20 years.

The statute (CGS 29-33) says you must retain the paperwork for 5 years.

Don

One other thing. I read the hunting guide cover to cover. I searched the DEP web site. I wanted to know if I could hunt deer with a suppressor. It would be more neighborly since the piece of land I was going to hunt was not that far from a development.

I thought I was good to go. But something in the back of my mind said I'd better tripple check. So I called the DEP. The guy told me that they dropped that info out of the hunting guide about 10 years ago, but that suppresors were prohibited. He then gave me the CGS and I looked it up to confirm he was in fact correct.

Botom line is that the law is whats written, not what some cop on the phone tells you.

What are the potential penalties for possessing a gun without a permit or other weapon in a car (or other motor vehicle) in alleged violation of Connecticut General Statute Section 29-38?

Connecticut law prohibits the carrying of weapons in a motor vehicle. And you should be aware that "weapon" is defined very broadly; please read the exact language of the statute below to see just what constitutes a weapon. If you are convicted of violating this statute, you face a potential jail sentence of up to five years and a $1,000 fine.

Connecticut General Statute Section 29-38 provides as follows:

"(a) Any person who knowingly has, in any vehicle owned, operated or occupied by such person, any weapon, any pistol or revolver for which a proper permit has not been issued as provided in section 29-28 or any machine gun which has not been registered as required by section 53-202, shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years or both, and the presence of any such weapon, pistol or revolver, or machine gun in any vehicle shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section by the owner, operator and each occupant thereof. The word "weapon", as used in this section, means any BB. gun, any blackjack, any metal or brass knuckles, any police baton or nightstick, any dirk knife or switch knife, any knife having an automatic spring release device by which a blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches in length, any stiletto, any knife the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or over in length, any martial arts weapon or electronic defense weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument.
(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (1) Any officer charged with the preservation of the public peace while engaged in the pursuit of such officer's official duties; (2) any security guard having a baton or nightstick in a vehicle while engaged in the pursuit of such guard's official duties; (3) any person enrolled in and currently attending a martial arts school, with official verification of such enrollment and attendance, or any certified martial arts instructor, having any such martial arts weapon in a vehicle while traveling to or from such school or to or from an authorized event or competition; (4) any person having a BB. gun in a vehicle provided such weapon is unloaded and stored in the trunk of such vehicle or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console; and (5) any person having a knife, the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or over in length, in a vehicle if such person is (A) any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or any reserve component thereof, or of the armed forces of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, (B) any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, (C) any person while transporting such knife as merchandise or for display at an authorized gun or knife show, (D) any person while lawfully removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or from one residence to another, (E) any person while actually and peaceably engaged in carrying any such knife from such person's place of abode or business to a place or person where or by whom such knife is to be repaired, or while actually and peaceably returning to such person's place of abode or business with such knife after the same has been repaired, (F) any person holding a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license issued pursuant to chapter 490 or any salt water fisherman while having such knife in a vehicle for lawful hunting, fishing or trapping activities, or (G) any person participating in an authorized historic reenactment."

CT Shooter,

The statute seems vague, because you are quoting the wrong statute. Your citation above refers to weapons.

There is a statute specifically referring to firearms. It says, in short that if a long gun is unloaded (including a loaded muzzle loader with the cap removed) you are legal to carry it in your vehicle. ANYWHERE in your vehicle, provided it is not loaded.

Don

Sec. 53-205. Shotguns, rifles and muzzleloaders in vehicles and snowmobiles. No person shall carry or possess in any vehicle or snowmobile any shotgun or rifle or muzzleloader of any gauge or caliber while such shotgun or rifle or muzzleloader contains in the barrel, chamber or magazine any loaded shell or cartridge capable of being discharged or when such muzzleloader has a percussion cap in place or when the powder pan of a flint lock contains powder. Muzzleloader as used in this section means a rifle or shotgun, incapable of firing a self-contained cartridge and which must be loaded at the muzzle end. The enforcement officers of the Department of Environmental Protection are empowered to enforce this section. The provisions of this section shall not apply to members of the military departments of the government or state while on duty or while traveling to or from assignments, or to enforcement officers, security guards or other persons employed to protect public or private property while in the performance of such duties. Any person who violates any provision of this section shall be fined not less than ten nor more than one hundred dollars or be imprisoned not more than thirty days or be both fined and imprisoned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom