Confessions of a Gun Lobbyist

I finally took some time last week-end to read Richard Feldman's "Ricochet".

I bought the book on a whim when I saw it on a Sale rack. I paid $3.99 -- at the time a bit less than a gallon of gasoline. I probably should have put it in the tank, and gone to the library for the book -- I'd have had miles left over for free.

Someone mentioned getting past the self-aggrandizement. I really couldn't. I can't think of ever reading a book that managed to tout the author so much. To hear Richard Feldmen tell it, he knew every correct strategy, tactic, and job placement ever asked of himself. Wow. It's amazing that he is not running some Presidential campaign. He could guarantee a winner every time.

Beyond that, I found his scene-setting heavy handed and annoying. I understand writers doing it, but when it is so blatant that I see it, it is being inartfully done. He tells us what music was playing, and the name of the taxi company from over 20 years ago for instance. I just don't believe it and am reminded that his analysis of events back then are probably just as fabricated.

There is a certain schizophrenia throughout the book regarding the Second Amendment generally and the NRA particularly. Yes I believe that he supports the 2nd, but he seems way too willing to compromise and complains about the NRA hard-line. That will sell to anti-gunners (e.g. just read an Obama quote saying that the NRA opposes _every_ gun law) but to anyone who pays attention (and he should be) knows it is untrue. And he seems oblivious to any slippery slope or the anti-gun salami-slice technique.

This schizophrenia is most visible at the end of chapter sub-sections. I lost count of the number of parenthetical paragraphs -- a seldom seen construct anywhere. They seemed to be thrown into the narrative after some book editor read the original and said you have to make more negative NRA comments, or the book won't sell, as they were always after a section that might have been construed as positively reflecting on the organization, and they were invariably negative.

The negative comments weren't always so obvious. In many cases they were more smoothly woven in, but once becoming attuned to the parenthetical paragraphs, you notice two-sided views within thoughts all over.

You can't imagine how tiresome it is to read over and over that Wayne LaPierre gets paid too much. Perhaps he does (though the book provides no hard proof - just unnamed sources). Get over it Richie (as he refers to himself). Everybody knows people who shouldn't be paid so much, and most think that they should themselves be paid more.

It was some interesting to learn of some of the back room dealings that were going on, and to refresh my memory of those events, but you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt. He has no credibility. He couldn't be more bitter about getting pushed out of the NRA, nor of the maneuvering of the NRA that undercut his ASSC.

The primary premise that the media picked up on is Feldman's view that the NRA under its current administration doesn't really care about the Second Amendment -- that it is just a fund raising scam. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of the NRA. It is impossible for anyone to agree with their tactics all the time. I don't see them intentional positioning themselves for fund raising first, and everything else secondarily.

Lastly, for an insider look at the politics of gun law, it was glaring to not mention Sen. Bob Dole's part in slipping the machine-gun ban into the 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act. If you hadn't known of it, you wouldn't have noticed something was left out. I suspect it was because it couldn't be explained without pointing out that Feldman himself had something to do with it, and that the FOPA did hurt manufacturers (his constituency) in this regard. I just guessing. How could Dole not be mentioned otherwise?

Old thread, but I finally read this book. +1 on LenS's review in post #28.

I would much rather spend my NRA membership money on GOAL, since GOAL is really the only group looking after our rights in MA. (My range requires an NRA membership.)

Ok, let's do the math:

Lobbyists get paid to push someone else's political agenda - that's their job.

Yup, he's still working hard... Nothing to see here folks, move along...

Looks like the NRA did the right thing by getting rid of this guy.. Now if they would just get rid of more of the "moderate/ reasonable/ compromising" types we'd be a lot better off..

The real problem with lobbyists is that they exist at all. God forbid that politicians actually follow the Constitution and listen to the people.

As an aside:
Last spring (June of 2009), Richard Feldman (he lives in Rindge, NH) came to Monadnock Rod & Gun Club to shoot part of a documentary about "American's and their Guns" (I'm paraphrasing here). At the time, the documentary was scheduled to be aired on HBO in the spring of 2010. I wrote Richard a month ago or so (along with Williams Cole ...the director [AIN Film Co.]) inquiring about the film and its status, and received no answer.

The day included Feldman (who is a firearms enthusiast, and owns many firearms, including several unusual ones), a couple of Members of the Gun Club, and a couple of Members of the Rindge Police Department, firing guns. There was Williams ...the director, a soundman, and a cameraman recording the day.

Quite frankly, I was there (staying out of camera-view as much as possible), to personally observe the treatment that a bunch of hicks from Cow Hampshire were going to get at the hands of a NYC film crew. At least the director was filmed smiling as he fired a few rounds down-range. Of course, editing will take care of that ...among other things.

IMO, no good can come from strangers with no affiliation, filming at your firearms range. I was not in a position to effect that decision at-the-time.

And ...back on-topic, I have since attempted to read the book 'Ricochet'. I picked up a copy last fall. I was about 30 or 40 pages in, when the book "went missing". Where it went, I know not. I will not attempt to provide a review on such scant evidence.

Stocking-up-on-firearms

Last edited:
The real problem with lobbyists is that they exist at all. God forbid that politicians actually follow the Constitution and listen to the people.

CRAZY TALK!!!! That's like saying, Government isn't the answer to all of the problems.. Just way off!!!

Nah - lobbyists have been around from the beginning. It is not new, but even if it were, innovation on the side of people asking for government handouts is not the problem - its the willingness of the government (with the support of the people who elect them and refuse to punish them by not re-electing them) to hand things out that is the problem.

Elect people who respect the constitution and appoint judges who defend it with the law and people can lobby all they like, but they won't get much if the power of the government is correctly limited.

Back
Top Bottom