• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Competition Pistol Selection

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting into competitive shooting. I used to do NRA bullseye and now I would like to try out NRA action pistol, IDPA & USPSA. I'm starting over from an equipment standpoint. I can only afford to buy one pistol now somewhere in the $1000 range. I want to find a well rounded pistol that I can use across the various competition organizations including conventional pistol. I'm thinking a 9mm or 45 cal single action 1911 style. I like the Para PXT 18-9 and 14-45. I'm thinking that I could buy a base pistol like this now and then when I have a few extra coins have a little extra smithing done while keeping it legal. By choosing a pistol like this, I think I could still use it for NRA Conventional in the center fire or 45 cal portion of the match. For those that compete, I would love to hear your opinion on pistol selection.

Thanks for your help.

A single stack .45 would be a great choice for IDPA (CDP) and USPSA (single stack). Your choices of new from a dealer are limited in Mass (S&W, Sig, and a handful of others). I have no personal experience with Para but many people here don't like them. If you are patient and look for a face to face private sale your options are better. Don't forget to budget for belt, holster, holders, and extra mags and mods. If you want to save money on ammo there are some 9mm 1911s (S&W is probably over your budget new) but mags are more expensive and temperamental. You'd also be scored minor in USPSA single stack.

I shoot a S&W 1911 in .45 for USPSA single stack division. As you gain experience competing, you'll figure out what gun is best for you. It probably won't be the gun you start with.

I shoot a S&W 1911 in .45 for USPSA single stack division. As you gain experience competing, you'll figure out what gun is best for you. It probably won't be the gun you start with.
I completely agree. I just want to give myself a good competitive start. I know that I could spend several thousand on a pistol and I'm just not ready to do that yet. If after spending a $1000 on a pistol I find that the pistol is holding me back, I will trade it in and spend a little more. What do you think of the S&W you own? Is it one of the pro shop models?

Yep. I'll also add that the process of finding what works for you or what you like for certain sports is part of the fun- but yeah it can get expensive. I see posts like this all the time and I always keep saying to myself- why don't these folks just dive in or go to a match and poke around. See what others use and why.

Personally I like a nice cheap chunk of plastic that shoots inexpensive and easy to manage 9mm rounds. Some really enjoy the big bang of a 45. Some have tendonitis and are sensitive to that. Go to a match and/or practice and see what people use... it's free and if you only have $1000 you don't want to jump the gun... although most equipment has pretty good resale anyway.

It's just a regular factory model, SKU 108282. It's completely reliable, very accurate after 30k rounds.

Yep. I'll also add that the process of finding what works for you or what you like for certain sports is part of the fun- but yeah it can get expensive. I see posts like this all the time and I always keep saying to myself- why don't these folks just dive in or go to a match and poke around. See what others use and why.

Personally I like a nice cheap chunk of plastic that shoots inexpensive and easy to manage 9mm rounds. Some really enjoy the big bang of a 45. Some have tendonitis and are sensitive to that. Go to a match and/or practice and see what people use... it's free and if you only have $1000 you don't want to jump the gun... although most equipment has pretty good resale anyway.

I get it. I plan on going to a few competitions as soon as possible. However, I thought this was a good place to start. A lot of people with like interests ready to help those that need help. Its an efficient way of covering a lot of ground quickly. If I was in any other state, I probably wouldn't even ask the question. However, given the limited choice in MA and my lack of familiarity with what's available, I thought I would ask for a little help. I know I could spend $300 on a pistol and compete but I do know that I am better than that. So, I'd like to buy something that I can grow into.

(snip) If after spending a $1000 on a pistol I find that the pistol is holding me back, I will trade it in and spend a little more.
[rofl]

I guess you have never heard of a young guy by the name of David Sevigny?

Dave is a hell of a nice guy who started shooting pistols competitively in this area. He has won sectional, area, national, and international championships with a stock Glock 9mm.

I guess innate skill and practice help too. [grin]

Do you have a pistol now? If so, shoot it. As my wife says "you can meet the nicest people in a sand pit on a Sunday morning". Those people are very willing to help people just starting out, because we ALL started there. Attend a few matches, see what others use and what might interest you.

Good luck.

Last edited:
[rofl]

I guess you have never heard of a young guy by the name of David Sevigny?

Dave is a hell of a nice guy who started shooting pistols competitively in this area. He has won sectional, area, national, and international championships with a stock Glock 9mm.

I guess innate skill and practice help too. [grin]

Do you have a pistol now? If so, shoot it. As my wife says "you can meet the nicest people in a sand pit on a Sunday morning". Those people are very willing to help people just starting out, because we ALL started there. Attend a few matches, see what others use and what might interest you.

Good luck.

Yeah, I'm going to see if I can find any matches this weekend. Not sure I will find one but if not this weekend, maybe next. A Glock would be fine for action pistol but not sure it would measure up for any kind of bullseye shooting. I'd consider a Glock given that it's in my price range. I don't have any pistols any longer. My first wife had me sell my collection. Of course I got rid of her shortly there after. [laugh2]

My first wife had me sell my collection. Of course I got rid of her shortly there after. [laugh2]

Damn, just like those murder/suicides...............

Wrong order! [thinking]

OK, if you currently have no pistol, a good 1911 rather than a Glock, will allow you to shoot the disciplines you are looking at.

Damn, just like those murder/suicides...............

Wrong order! [thinking]

OK, if you currently have no pistol, a good 1911 rather than a Glock, will allow you to shoot the disciplines you are looking at.

Ok- I "might" agree with Mike on this. However as you can see it really might depend on what you want to more- IDPA, USPSA, Bulleye, etc.

I'd be willing to be my plain ole Glock 34 would fair pretty well up against most guns... including 1911s- in Bulleye. I guess if you can't have any centerfire gun and need a 45.... you could get a G21!

A Para 1911 is not going to be more accurate than a glock. Trigger might be better, but it probably won't run. The glock will run, but lets be honest here, most glock shooters are douchebags... you don't want to become a douchebag, do you?

Get yourself a nice M&P 40, Longslide if you can find one, put an apex trigger and dawson adjustable sights on and go have fun. The gun will not hold you back.

i didn't see where you live, but i'm more than certain you can find
a used gun (not Para) a holster, mags, mag carriers, a belt (walmart)
and some ammo to start. $1000 should fill the bill
\
very well.

so as mentined i would recommend you go to a match and see what
folks are using.

The glock will run, but lets be honest here, most glock shooters are douchebags... you don't want to become a douchebag, do you?

I apologize for SuperEgo... he's just getting antsy since he can't see his classifier results yet. Some of the nicest people you'll meet shoot Glocks!

One of the reasons I'm thinking about bullseye is because I'm concerned that there's not enough action pistols matches in MA to keep my attention. Is that a real concern or imagined? Thanks.

better not Davey!

images.jpg
Ok- I'd be willing to be my plain ole Glock 34 would fair pretty well up against most guns... including 1911s- in Bulleye. I guess if you can't have any centerfire gun and need a 45.... you could get a G21!
Does "be" mean "BET"?

Really?
(Better not Davey!, said Goliath in the Sunday morning cartoon!)
You may want to think that one over for a bullesye match, just sayin'
I think even pig roast boy would bet you..............
(Yep!, I'd BET on that! if we could get him to go...)

One of the reasons I'm thinking about bullseye is because I'm concerned that there's not enough action pistols matches in MA to keep my attention. Is that a real concern or imagined? Thanks.

There is one every weekend during the season and 2 a month during the winter, plus weekly practices.

I think most of the NRA Bullseye shooting around here is done with .22 rimfire guns. You will need center fire for Action Pistol. There are plenty of action pistol matches around here, especially if you include the Steel Challenge and knock-down steel matches.

And, for the record, I'd go with a Glock 34 in 9mm or a Glock 35 in 40 cal, there is no better value out there. You can spend a lot more on a higher end gun, but that money would be best spent on ammo which you can use to practice, practice, practice. Because in the end, it's the practice that will make you a better shooter, not the gun.

-Cuz.

I have a glock but I really prefer shooting the sig 226 if I am going to shoot a plain factory pistol. I have experience with para. I wouldn't buy another. The only thing barely worth keeping is the frame for a custom build.

For the time being your choices really come down to Production or Single Stack - at least for USPSA. Production is marginally easier to get into - guns, mags, and ammo are cheaper and more likely to run out of the box. But if you're a big 1911 fan do that, it's just going to cost you more.

As far as busy - if you shoot BOTH USPSA and IDPA you'll have as many opportunities to compete as you have time and funds.

Your easiest way in is to buy a used and well broken in G17 (ouch, it hurts to say that!), five 10 round mags, a holster, mag holder, and a butt load of WWB ammo. You're GTG!

From April through Nov/Dec, you can find a USPSA match just about every weekend. You can also find an IDPA match just about every weekend. And all that would be within a hour to 1.5 hour drive, some much less. And there are still some during the winter held at indoor ranges - both IDPA and USPSA. You can also find Steel Challenge matches from time to time. I don't think you'll be at a loss to find a match. And really, any reliable gun will be a great way to start. Glocks, S&W M&P's, 1911's, even revolvers - you'll have fun. For the money, Glocks and M&Ps get you a lot for your buck, and leaves you enough to get holsters, etc.

BTW, New Bedford (located in Dartmouth) has an IDPA match on Saturday. Westfield has an USPSA match on Sunday. I think Monument Beach (Sagamore, just over the Cape Cod canal) has an IDPA match on Sunday too.

Any recommendation for a match this weekend? I'm in Wakefield, MA but I would be willing to drive.

There's a man vs. man knock-down steel plate match at the Wallum Lake Gun Club in Harrisville, RI this Sunday. Registration is at 9:30, match starts at 10:00 a.m. Entry fee is $5 per gun, 3 Divisions, Open, Stock Auto, and Stock Revo. Cash prizes will be awarded. I'll be there.

-Cuz

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting into competitive shooting. I used to do NRA bullseye and now I would like to try out NRA action pistol, IDPA & USPSA. I'm starting over from an equipment standpoint. I can only afford to buy one pistol now somewhere in the $1000 range. I want to find a well rounded pistol that I can use across the various competition organizations including conventional pistol. I'm thinking a 9mm or 45 cal single action 1911 style. I like the Para PXT 18-9 and 14-45. I'm thinking that I could buy a base pistol like this now and then when I have a few extra coins have a little extra smithing done while keeping it legal. By choosing a pistol like this, I think I could still use it for NRA Conventional in the center fire or 45 cal portion of the match. For those that compete, I would love to hear your opinion on pistol selection.

Thanks for your help.

I am new to IDPA and USPSA and I started a similar thread as some have mentioned :) Now I am just a little further down the road in getting my equipment. I shoot a S&W 1911 .45ACP, went to the Kelly shoot this summer as a first timer. The Kelly event was great, they had both disciplines at one shoot. The people there were excellent Don set me up with extra mags, belt and holster and I got coaching from everyone in my group, ROs and SOs. Says alot about the experienced people who do these events. Going to a few shoots is a must, they will help you out I went with what I had a stock holster, 3-8 round mags and ammo. Like I said everyone lent me equipment or offered advise, happily.

I shoot 9mm as well, my preference for the competition is the .45acp. I really like my 1911 and am more accurate and consistant with it, so use what works for you. I am buying the equipment little by little, budget is everyones biggest issue. I just bought 6-10 round mags of the NES classifieds at a great price. I'll pickup a belt later, new holster and mag holders, check the classifieds good source for deals.

I got a ton of great input on the thread I started:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ition-Holster-and-belt-set-up-recommendations.

Hope this helps, see you at an event, good luck!!!!

If you really want an all around 1911 for Bulls Eye and other games, go to the dealer section and contact Greg Derr. He is an experienced shooter and gunsmith and a very good person to get advice from. He will tell you what will work in a 1911 for Bulls eye and what will not.

As for Action, there are matches year round if you are willing to drive a little. Indoors, outdoors, USPSA, Steel, Idpa and some not affiliated with any group. Used equipment can be had that is proven. People change disciplines and sell gear all the time. I have a friend with a para P16-40 all ready for USPSA Limited, STEEL, and IDPA ESP that is for sale for $1000 firm. He now shoots Cowboy. Gun ran well for him.

Things like this come along all the time but usually you hear about it at matches or at the range.

Good luck

Thanks, this was great feedback. I've mentally got it down to a couple of pistols. I think I am going to go to the range this weekend and try those few out and try and go to a match on Sunday to observe. Thanks again for all your great feedback everyone.

HiNoon - I can offer to have you shoot my 1911PD 45, Springfield XD45, and Glock 17 if you want to try your hands at those let me know. PM if you want to try Saturday or Monday @ Harvard or Haverhill.

I started shooting USPSA with my 1911 then I moved to my Springfield then I finally broke down and went with the Glock ...lol
What I can tell you is the gun does not matter as much as your skill and you can compete with just about anything your comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom