• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Comparator

peterk123

NES Member
Am I on the right track here? Measure fired brass using the correct insert. Take the measurement of 1.4660 minus .002 and tweak the resizing jig until I get to the same number.

New brass has the shoulder pushed lower will the jig size it right or can I only do this to fired brass?

On another note, I upgraded my Lee beam scale to a redding. Wow, so much nicer. No guessing here.

20240203_095341.jpg

Last edited:
generally, yes, you set the full size die in such a way so after the measuring brass before and after the die you see the delta of .002 or even .001.
i have it set for .001 for dasher and 6.5cm for bolt rifles, for gas guns it is .002. if it is not done, closing the bolt may get difficult.

for neck i use shims for the same .002 tension, not more. it depends upon brass neck thickness too, so you need to keep an eye on that and do not mix iwi brass with other kinds, as they all tend to differ a bit. does not matter a whole ton for gas guns, again, but for bolt and precision sure does.

generally, yes, you set the full size die in such a way so after the measuring brass before and after the die you see the delta of .002 or even .001.
i have it set for .001 for dasher and 6.5cm for bolt rifles, for gas guns it is .002. if it is not done, closing the bolt may get difficult.

for neck i use shims for the same .002 tension, not more. it depends upon brass neck thickness too, so you need to keep an eye on that and do not mix iwi brass with other kinds, as they all tend to differ a bit. does not matter a whole ton for gas guns, again, but for bolt and precision sure does.
Thank you. Pete

Back
Top Bottom