• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

COMPACT 9MM

This is the SAME DAMM question I was trying to ask a few weeks ago and got lambasted for.

If you purchase a gun on a private sale believing that it entered the state legally, fill out and submit the FA-10, then find out later the gun did not enter the state legally, then what is your culpability?

Never got an answer other than buyer beware.

WMD said:
Thanks for the input everyone. Pardon my newbie ignorance, but if I do a private sale of a gun that was pre-ban or brought into mass by someone who moved here, as the buyer I have to fill out the FA-10, right - do I have to prove that it's "legal" somehow (not just brought in by someone travelling through the state) or is the seller's word good enough for the FRB?
Using the search function, you should have been able to find this Sticky in the Gun Laws forum:
http://northeastshooters.com/viewtopic.php?t=4818&highlight=fa10

No, you don't have to "prove" how it got here.

i'm sorry but i am very new to this and i'm finding the law on in-state transfers quite confusing - i had done a search on this topic and saw the thread that you referred me to which stated:

1. The legal requirement for in-state transfers is on the seller not the buyer. Therefore, the seller is required to send in the FA10. CHSB is happy to receive the info and don't want to discourage anyone from sending it in, but the do not need duplicate FA-10's

however, i then read numerous other posts that indicated that it was the buyer's responsibility (or both if you wanted to cya). my question is as the buyer do i have anyway to protect myself from a gun that is non-compliant (or worse used in a double homicide) or is filing the fa-10 and trust in your fellow man what people do.

Just like quote you posted above says, it' the sellers responsibility. Maybe where you are getting confused would be in the case if you bought a firearm with your 03FFL C&R license or purchased a long gun out of state. In those cases, yes, it would be your (the buyers) responsibility.
For an in state FTF private transaction, the SELLER must file the FA-10.

Ok, I'm going to try to say this so it's easy to follow.

You're going to buy a pistol from a guy who LIVES in Mass. If that's what you're going to do, there's no such thing as a non-compliant pistol.

If it's in the state, and the person selling the pistol lives here. You can buy it with out any issue. No one cares. The seller will have to send in the FA-10.

If you have your copy of the FA-10 and it's signed by both you and the seller, you're fine. That's all. No such thing as a Non Mass Compliant Pistol with a face to face sale between two MA citizens.

Don't worry about anything else.

I carry a HK P7M8 or a Glock 19. They are both equally concealable for me but the slide profile of the HK is more comfortable IWB. The glock however is lighter and has nearly twice the capacity. I did used to own a glock 27 and that was a great gun both accurate and ergonomic for a two finger gun but I got tired of owning a gun so small that I never took it to the range. I used to carry IWB all the time using Matt Delfatti (www.delfatti.com) even my chunky P99 but these days, OWB in any decent leather holster works for me.

I never saw a fa10 but I imagine I will be seeing one soon - we both fill out some personal info, sign it, as the buyer i take one of the carbon copies home with me and stow it - the seller should send the form in - i take the gun home and nothing for me to worry about. 'nuff said?

That's pretty much it.

You get them from your local PD...if they have them. I've had to drive to several towns and they were all out. But if you call the CHSB they will send you some.

Anyway, the form asks for your name, LTC license number, hair and eye color, hight, weight, address, gun info etc...

Then yes, you both sign it, you each get a carbon copy, and the seller sends the original to the CHSB.

Easy Peasy.

People are getting too wrapped around the axle about buying handguns here in PRM!!

- Unlike other states where a purchase/sale is made with a handshake, green cash and a wave goodbye . . . we have REGISTRATION of all transactions in MA!!

- In "free states" someone may be able to "fake it" that they actually live in the same state as the buyer/seller. In PRM, we have a LTC that is MANDATORY to buy/sell a handgun! BOTH buyer and seller SHOULD look at the other party's LTC, read it carefully, verify that it is a RESIDENT LTC (as a holder of a NR LTC can neither buy or sell anything to a non-FFL in MA), that it is still valid, proper class for gun in question, etc.

- BOTH parties MUST have their LTC info on the FA-10.

- BOTH parties SHOULD review the info and compare it to the actual LTCs to ensure that no errors were made BEFORE SIGNING the form.

- THIS IS THE ONLY PROOF THAT YOU NEED THAT THE SALE/PURCHASE WAS LEGAL IN MA!

I kept it simple above in the vain hope that everyone will "get it" and not keep beating this dead horse, over and over again!

-----------

Some additional info that hopefully won't confuse the issue.

- If you get the heeby-jeebies when you meet the buyer/seller, it is in your best interest to call the deal off and "walk", no matter if you are the buyer or seller! If someone makes a comment that "good, now I'll be able to get even with that SOB", etc. I recommend "walking away" and notifying the local PD! USE COMMON SENSE!!!

- If the gun had previously been used in a double murder, you'd have no way to know at a purchase until someone "comes knocking". They'll take the gun but if you show them your FA-10 form (DON'T give away the original, give them a copy if at all possible), they will want to question you about the seller but you won't be in hot water. Same thing could happen with a dealer sale to any one of us!

- I don't think the CHSB database is so swift that they will readily ID a crime gun from the FA-10s unless the gun was left at the scene or found on a perp committing a crime! MA and CHSB is NOT CSI and real life is NOT A TV SHOW!

- If anyone were to ever actually read the Instructions attached to an FA-10 (and I am partially guilty too, see below), you will see the answers to almost all your questions that keep getting asked here over and over again! It lists SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS for the following:
* Person to Person Transfer
* Registration (e.g. you get CMP M1, use your C&R FFL to obtain a gun, bring a gun into MA from your Summer/Winter residence in NH/FL, inherit a gun, etc.)
* REPORTING LOSS/THEFT - very interesting . . . I never read this one, but we MUST FILE AN FA-10 ON EVERY GUN LOST OR STOLEN FROM US!

Each of the above tells you which SECTIONS of the form to fill out and which ones to IGNORE for the particular transaction!

wow, that seems pretty easy. can't wait to buy one. any other tips for a private purchase as a buyer - should i bring a fa-10 along, ask to see his ltc? also, if i'm buying pre-ban mags does that need anything special?

- sorry the bit about the ltc was before i saw the previous post.

EVERYONE should get an FA-10 (with instructions) from a PD. READ IT THOROUGHLY! The whole process becomes a lot more understandable. Even if you are not planning on buying/selling anything.

The ones you see at an FFL do NOT have the instructions on them. The instructions are what answer most/all your questions here.

1beb8b2ae6d61633f35d740313c6c610.gif

C-pher said:
LenS said:
JonJ said:

[lol] [lol] [lol]

HOLY CRAP! I just about spit up my Barq's all over the screen.

I tried to make it easy to follow. I'm sure if it wasn't, Len would have corrected me.

There was nothing to correct.

BUT, the "black helicopter" crowd will still throw 1000 "what ifs" out there.

LenS said:
C-pher said:
LenS said:
JonJ said:

[lol] [lol] [lol]

HOLY CRAP! I just about spit up my Barq's all over the screen.

I tried to make it easy to follow. I'm sure if it wasn't, Len would have corrected me.

There was nothing to correct.

BUT, the "black helicopter" crowd will still throw 1000 "what ifs" out there.

I don't understand how. There are no what if's. The only what if, is if the person doesn't live in MA. Then you can't do a Face to Face sale. That would be the only what if.

Well... And also that the person has the correct VALID license to possess the gun you are about to purchase.

Adam

OK - Let me get this straight... No just kidding.

Len, you should consider offering a seminar on the rules and regs.
You could rent a hall somewhere, present your material, (with a valid
disclaimer of course) and make a few bucks. I've learned a lot on the
forum, but would probably attend anyway.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom