Commercial M1 Carbines

Garys

NES Member
Besides Universal and Auto Ordinance, does anyone make them?

Are they any good?

Are they legal in MA? I know about the magazine limit, but are there other "EVIL" features that would make one illegal?

Thanks,

Gary

All M1 Carbines except paratroopers/folding stock models assembled after 9/13/94 are legal in MA, assuming they have the original style military stock and not some sort of pistol grip stock, and no add-on flashhider.

Universal is trash. Their early guns were OK but soft, their later "improved" models with the two springs are to be avoided at all costs.

Iver Johnson, Plainfield, and Howa (Japan) also made M1 carbines. AO/Kahr is the only current manufacturer (IAI was made on Kahr receivers). Springfield Armory made noise about making them a while back but never actually did.

As shooters, USGIs pretty much always beat out commercials, although Plainfields and IJs are comparable quality.

There are M1 carbines available for good prices from the CMP, and the have very good customer service, and good quality USGI models. They are not high dollar collectors items though, in that the parts are generally mixed because the rifles have been maintained with swapped parts in most cases.

no more than $400, jim. And I wouldn't even pay that. $300-$400.

Any USGI carbine is a collectors item. The CMP release is keeping prices level right now but once CMP runs out, the prices will start climbing again.

auctions

check the actions; gunbroker, guns america and auction arms.
they have some minty military surplus ones [some cmp].
expect to pay at least $600 for a good one. buy a real one; they are increasing in value. i got a 95 % condition cmp for $700 found a like new walnut stock for $40 and now have a gem. [smile]
there are a number of local dealers listed on gunbroker that will transfer for $25.[smile][wink]
p.s.; getting some bad reports from gunsmiths about kahr arms; op rods breaking, bad heat treat.

Last edited:
The early Kahrs sucked, but they took the entire manufacturing process in house and the newer ones are coming out fine. Hard to break loose of that bad rep, though.

Back
Top Bottom