Colts, Smiths, and 38s...

As I posted in the Feb. Acquisitions thread, I got another .38 special revolver from The Goose last weekend:

NewColtPolice001.jpg

Which got me to thinking (always a dangerous proposal...). How many Colt firearms do I have?

ColtsSmithsandother38s005.jpg

Seven. Hmmm. That's a few. I thought I had more Smith & Wessons?

ColtsSmithsandother38s012.jpg

A ha! That's eight!

Oh, wait. The cannon's only visiting. And he's got a 1911A1 that's not shown in the Colt picture (because his bonehead owner forgot the combo to the trigger lock...) Seven Smith & Wessons.

How about guns chambered for .38 special? It's my favorite caliber...

ColtsSmithsandother38s007.jpg

Yup, you guessed it, seven. Lucky sevens today. Looks like I'm going to have to go out and buy five more Rugers then... [smile]

[bow] [bow] [bow] [bow] [bow] [bow]

I yield to the king of the Rugers... [smile]
Thanks, but I'm just another peon in the land of real Ruger collectors.
I don't do consecutive pairs, factory prototypes, or three digit serial numbers.
I do, however, shoot all of mine occasionally and enjoy them immensely.
The "collection" started about twenty years ago, when I decided that I wanted to get a Ruger single action in every caliber ever offered by the factory.
The only one I'm missing is the .17 RF and I just can't work up any great enthusiasim over the cartridge. I have 16 or 17 different calibers and all of the major styles or variations. There are also a few duplicates that I found interesting (or cheap).

I've got a Ruger New Vaquero being extensively (and expensively) modified to .44 Special and adjustable sights, at one of the top gunsmithing houses. It should be back in July or August. Can't hardly wait.[smile]

BTW, I like your new Colt. You really need to get some wooden grips on those revolvers though.[wink]

I'm just starting with my collecting. Once I get some money aside (ha!), I've got a couple ideas for sets:

1. A Model 29 and 27 with 8 3/8" barrels to go with the 17.
2. Model 10s with 3, 4, 6, and 8 3/8" barrels.
3. Blued and chromed J-frames with all three styles (Chief's Special, Centennial, and Bodyguard).

And those are just the ones I can think of quickly... [smile]

As for the wood grips, believe me, it's on the "To Get" list. Problem is, nice wooden grips are expensive... [shocked]

Thanks, but I'm just another peon in the land of real Ruger collectors.
I don't do consecutive pairs, factory prototypes, or three digit serial numbers.
I do, however, shoot all of mine occasionally and enjoy them immensely.
The "collection" started about twenty years ago, when I decided that I wanted to get a Ruger single action in every caliber ever offered by the factory.
The only one I'm missing is the .17 RF and I just can't work up any great enthusiasim over the cartridge. I have 16 or 17 different calibers and all of the major styles or variations. There are also a few duplicates that I found interesting (or cheap).

I've got a Ruger New Vaquero being extensively (and expensively) modified to .44 Special and adjustable sights, at one of the top gunsmithing houses. It should be back in July or August. Can't hardly wait.[smile]

BTW, I like your new Colt. You really need to get some wooden grips on those revolvers though.[wink]

... Problem is, nice wooden grips are expensive... [shocked]

Even crappy wooden grips are expensive.[shocked]
Expect to pay $50 - $100 for a decent pair of regular production wooden grips.
The custom gripmakers are doing a landoffice business.

Elk or Moose antler grips are $100 & up.
Sambar stag is $200-$250 & up.
Real ivory is , fageddaboutit.

I like a decent quality set of ivory polymer grips on some guns. I've gotten nice ones made by Ajax for a couple different guns, right around $50.

I've gotten a couple nice sets of "cosmetic seconds" from Houge Auctions.
The ones that I got were around $65, or about half regular retail.

www.grips4guns.com,
Grips4guns has some Excaliber and Badger grips that look good but I have not dealt with them yet.

Sometimes ebay will turn up something worthwhile.

1. A Model 29 and 27 with 8 3/8" barrels to go with the 17.
Don't forget the M57: [smile]

SnWm57m-vi.jpg

Photo was as soon as I got it home. Grips were changed to S&W target magnas about 5 minutes after this photo.
Ugly rubber grips went in the classifieds.[grin]
Not photoshopped, BTW, it's a just about brand new, 25 yr old M57.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom