CMP's "Handicap" system???

PatMcD

NES Member
I just stumbled accross this on their Competitions Tracker site. How in God's name does it make any sense at all? They have me as ranked 14th Top Service Rifle Shooter in the Northeast (62nd Nationally)??
http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/nationalRanking.cgi

Hell, I doubt I'd rank 14th in my state! I know of several shooters on this board who would rank way higher than me, but aren't listed. I just don't get it.

Ahead of Kevin Trickett too. The + arrow shows your most recent scores. Kevin is averaging 490's too.

Gary drank a little to much of the Games Kool-Aid.

All we need now is plastic shotgun trophies for everyone and the transition will be complete.

B

I guess I'm missing something...

My recent scores kind of suck. Jeff and Amanda who are right below me average way higher.
Is it kind like the "no losers" theory to school sports? Everybody gets a medal?

It has been explained to me so that I think I see what they have done:

Everybody is ranked top to bottom by their "handicap". The "handicap" is based only on how well you shoot against the others that shot in the same matches as you. NOT how good you are compared to everybody else. That means a really good shooter (Mr. X) has an average of around 485. If he competes in a lot of matches where there are a bunch of 495 shooters, his "handicap" is going to be lower than a 470 shooter (Mr. Y) who competes against a bunch of 465 shooters.

In that way, it's pretty much the same way Leg points are awarded; you don't need to shoot a great score, just a better score than everybody else that day.

The whole notion of ranking someone based on on this "handicap"? Totally meaningless.

Seems like a complete waste of time and the handicap system is nothing but the "everybody gets a trophy" society we are going to.

Back
Top Bottom