• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP Email Notification To Update Your Info Due To Some New CA Bill?

Anyone else get an email from CMP about updating your info. WTF?

Attention Email Subscribers:

Due to a new Bill in California, CMP cannot send out email communications to our subscribers without having your full address and birthday in our email database. Please click on the “Update Profile” link in the footer of this email to update your contact details. CMP will continue to send out emails to only those subscribers that have completed their profile. We will also post updates on our Facebook page and our website.

Thank you!

Pretty sure I've never gotten any mass emails from the CMP. The order processing emails always come from individual accounts.

Due to a new Bill in California, CMP cannot send out email communications to our subscribers without having your full address and birthday in our email database. Please click on the “Update Profile” link in the footer of this email to update your contact details. CMP will continue to send out emails to only those subscribers that have completed their profile. We will also post updates on our Facebook page and our website.

Thank you!
definitely not, and be careful. looks like a typical phishing email to me.

I just got this email
CMP Email Subscribers - Update
Civilian Marksmanship Program

950d5fba-dbfb-4c63-91e2-1479fdff3736.png
CMP Email Subscribers Update​

CMP made a mistake. We do not need our customer phone numbers, addresses or dates of birth. My sincere apologies, Mark Johnson, DCM​

wow ... it was legit ... even so much so they had to retract it:

CMP made a mistake. We do not need our customer phone numbers, addresses or dates of birth. My sincere apologies, Mark Johnson, DCM​

it is peculiar indeed.
i did not get such an email, though, and i had bought plenty from them.

Interesting, just saw the retraction email a moment ago. But there is a place to sign up for an email newsletter that asks for ALL your info in the News & Media section of the CMP website.

That information is all public record. I can google that right now and get everything for which they asked.

It certainly was an odd email, but they do send out promotional emails on a fairly frequent basis.

Update; just tried to open the September American Rifleman (online version) on my desktop and got a similar message basically saying you can't open this file unless you check the box that you are over 18 to comply with the new California bill that evidently limits advertising gun stuff to minors. I don't live in CA, but it seems I have to check the box in order to read the online version, insanity!

Pretty sure I've never gotten any mass emails from the CMP. The order processing emails always come from individual accounts.
Got both the original and the update.

First time I've ever been emailed by the CMP
Interesting. May go to your junk folder?
I’d get their occasional Sales email update on rifles and ammo that’s in stock etc.

Thank you!
So the liberal lawmakers in California are now trying to limit First Amendment rights as well?

So the liberal lawmakers in California are now trying to limit First Amendment rights as well?
The California law that was passed is an attempt to get around the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. That law has a provision that the company must not violate any state laws. Couple that with Remington’s settlement in the Sandy Hook case which was based on a lawsuit that Remington broke a Connecticut law regarding marketing and you have other states trying to enact similar laws so they can get around PLCA. It’s also modeled after the Texas abortion law in which the state is not the one bringing the case but rather an individual.

Lot of moving parts on this one, but it does equate to trying to find a way to bankrupt arms manufacturers by circumventing PLCA.

All I got was the second 'oops' email.

I'm assuming it's because they already have all my info from the Garands I bought from them.

I didn't see the original but received the update. I would have assumed phishing but even if legit, I would have ignored it until the next time I am ordering something.

I'd like to know why all the Companies are bowing to Cal
Don't live in Cali not following the laws they put out..
And will tell companies that.......

Prop. 65 warnings and now this. It seems like every day I get reminded of why I left California years ago.
My folks moved us out early 80's. Being a surfer, hiker, skier, and generally always outdoors guy I was not at all happy at the time. In hindsight, it was a good move. My brother went back, graduated from Cal Poly, and started his family. Flash forward to now and he and his family plus in-laws have all moved to Texas. Another group of solid earners gone, and multi-generational Californians on top of that.

I have no idea what CMP was thinking to send something out specific to CA. All the folks doing the work at CMP are wonderful. Jury's still out on Mark Johnson. Seems OK but not the sharpest knife in the drawer based on my own personal observations.

Back
Top Bottom