CMMG .22 AR Conversion Review

Warning: Excessive detail ahead. Not responsible for injury or brain death caused by boredom.

To date the only .22LR firearm I’ve owned is my Savage MKII. I don’t hunt so .22s have limited uses for me other than fun (and my budget dictates that functional guns get priority over fun guns). Lately though I’ve been craving a semi-auto .22 and, after scoring 5 Winchester 555 bulk boxes in one day, I decided I needed something to shoot them through. I’d done a bunch of research and went with the CMMG .22 drop in conversion bolt for my AR, and I thought I’d share my initial experience.

I bought the kit from American Weapon Systems in Rindge for $170 with a mag, and another $15 for a spare mag. That price seemed low based on what I’d seen online so I emailed CMMG and they confirmed that despite AWS only recently getting the kit, it is an older production model that’s a little different than the new ones. Not a big deal though, since this is for training/fun and not intended for an application where it has to be the best of the best.

attachment.php

What It Is:

For those who don’t know, this design of .22 conversion is a fully self-contained bolt and sub-chamber for the AR platform. All you do is slide out your 5.56 BCG, slide in the conversion bolt, slap in a .22 mag and you’re ready to go. The charging handle still works just like with the normal 5.56 setup and all your controls and parts still do what they normally do with one exception. The bolt catch is non-functional with a .22 conversion (though if you have a new-production CMMG conversion kit, they sell a bolt hold open adapter that makes it functional).

For me the appeal of this kit is training, as I can run it in my normal AR setup with full weight and all the same feels (albeit with less recoil and blast) and it costs $27 for 550 rounds as opposed to $200. That makes a serious day of drills about the same cost as 3 mags of .223, or 2 mags of 5.56. It’s a great value prospect if you can find the ammo to feed it.

Technical Stuff:

The kit is blowback operated, rather than relying on the gas system of the AR. This doesn’t mean however that gas (and crud from the dirty .22 ammo) doesn’t come back through the gas tube. In reality your receiver gets much dirtier than firing an equivalent quantity of .223/5.56. Something I read in researching the kit is to be sure to fire 10-20 rounds of full power 5.56 after a range session with .22. This will blast lead and powder build up out of the gas tube. I did this after my 400-round range session and you can tell from the extra smoke that it was doing something.

attachment.php

I’ll get to accuracy in a minute, but from a technical perspective anyway a .22 bullet is actually .223” in diameter while a .223/5.56 is actually .224”. That means there’s a bit more play when the round is heading down the barrel.

Reliability:

I fired a total of 400 rounds through the kit, representing 4 different loads.

The four loads tested were as follows:
American Eagle 38gr CPHP
Winchester SuperX (bulk) 36gr CPHP
CCI Mini Mag 36gr CPHP
CCI AR Tactical 40gr CPRN

You’ll notice they’re all copper plated. I have a few LRN loads but I’ve read about developing a lead plug in the gas port using lead ammo, so I’m going to avoid that and stick to copper plated ammo.

Between my experience and online videos I watched, I’ve observed that ejection pattern consistency seems to be directly related to how reliable a particular load is going to be.

American Eagle ejected fairly consistently and out of 50 rounds I had zero malfunctions.

Winchester ejected quite consistently most of the time but (typical with this ammo…) it’s the 1% of the rounds that have an issue which have a major issue. I get the same thing with accuracy with Winchester SuperX our of my Savage. It’ll shoot sub-MOA for 99 rounds without exception, then on the 100th round it’ll throw one two inches off. I fires 250 rounds of Winchester SuperX since that’s what I have a lot of. It seemed to work nicely except for priming issues on a few rounds. I had one round fail to go off, one double feed, and two instances of a rather concerning condition which I’m not 100% sure really happened…. The recoil with this setup is so light that I could have just heard an echo, but twice I think it’s possible that one pull of the trigger touched off two rounds, and not because of two falls of the hammer (as my gun is definitely semi-auto with a reliable trigger/hammer group) but because of a slam fire. If it did indeed fire two (again I’m not sure if it did or didn’t) it seems it might have been because of the firing pin just touching the rim of the round and the Winchester SuperX specifically having light primers. This condition that may or may not have happened did only seem to have possibly happened with Winchester. Bottom line here is that I think it’s more an issue with the round than anything. I’m going to pay attention to this in future and if I confirm that it has happened I’ll be sending it in to CMMG (not looking to inadvertently break any laws due to equipment malfunctions).

CCI Mini Mags didn’t eject all that consistently but they functioned flawlessly and, as you’ll see in the accuracy section, they might be the best overall round in the gun.

CCI AR Tactical ran great until it suffered a catastrophic malfunction. When I say catastrophic I don’t mean it blew up, but a condition in which clearing the malfunction was not possible without disassembly and tools. The shell was totally wedged as you see in the pictures and I was only able to pull the bolt group 1/4 inch out before it became wedged and I needed to use pliers to get it out. No damage but quite a jam!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Bottom line on reliability is that it’s just fine for what this is. My only concern is the bump fires that I don’t know for sure really happened. I’ve never heard of this reported before so if it is happening with mine, it’s likely an isolated occurrence.

Accuracy:

Okay so this might be the most interesting part. I experienced a more dramatic spread in my results than I’d seen in videos and articles in my research. This was likely because I tested more rounds and tried to be more scientific.

The procedure was as follows.

All groups were shot at 25 yards. There was a bit of a variable breeze but at only 25 yards that shouldn’t be a major factor. Shooting was done off bags and for reference I’m not a world class marksman but I’m good enough to legitimately shoot a .8” group at 100yds with my Savage, so these results should be pretty decent as compared to what is possible.

I started with 3 rounds of 55gr FMJ 5.56, which is what my gun is zeroed for. That’s the target on the bottom right and the group measures .315” center to center (1.25MOA). Those are low because I’m zeroed for 50yds.

Next I ran a bore snake through the gun. Then I followed the following process for each load tested. I switched to the CMMG bolt, then fired 25 rounds of the load being tested, before shooting a 10-round group. After shooting each 10-round group, I’d shoot 15 more rounds of that load, switch back to 5.56, fire 4 rounds of that, then run the bore snake through. This way each 10 round group was shot with a mostly-clean barrel, plus 25 rounds of that same load.

The results were interesting.

The bottom left is American Eagle. That group is centered about an inch low and to the right of zero and is 3.25” center to center. In other words it’s 13MOA, which could also be pretty much called minute of torso at 100yds. The good news is this was the worst performer and if you held center of mass at 100yds on a silhouette target, they’d all hit it.

Middle left was Winchester SuperX. This centered about 1.5” low and left of zero and is 2.33” (9.33MOA).

Top left is CCI Mini Mags. These centered about an inch to the left and slightly low of zero and measured a respectable 1.07” (4.25MOA). If I had a ton of Mini Mags on hand and didn’t mind the cost, this would be the best of what I tested overall. It was reliable and grouped only slightly larger than crappy range .223 ammo would.

The middle right target is the CCI AR ammo. It centered just half an inch low left of zero and managed a .875” group (3.5MOA). That’s on par with range .223, proving that with the right ammo it can be done.

attachment.php

A lot of people talk about over stabilization being an issue when putting .22LR through an AR barrel (mine is a 1:7 Daniel Defense CHF 16”). I think this is BS below 100 yards (maybe further). Yes I know overspinning can lead to a nose-up attitude on the bullet which makes it less aerodynamic when dropping steeply downrange. Inside 100 yards this isn’t going to be a major factor here and in my opinion the groups vs bullet weight prove that there’s no real correlation here. Better quality rounds did better. The end. The reason shooting .22LR from an AR barrel doesn’t lead to great accuracy is that extra 1000th of an inch diameter. It stands to reason that that would limit accuracy and I think that’s the more significant factor here.

Also regarding bullet drop… I didn’t measure it exactly but I gauged drop by shooting at a plate at 100yds and I had to hold about 18 inches above it to get consistent hits.

Overall accuracy is acceptable for training but might be sub-par if you want this setup for plinking. For example the only round here that would hit a coke can at 50yds every time is the CCI AR Tactical. Even Mini Mags would miss 2 or so in 10 and good luck with the Winchester or American Eagle.

For silhouette blasting and drills though, this is great within 50yds and acceptable to 100.

Overview:

I’m looking forward to getting another few hundred rounds through the kit to see if little things smooth out, but overall this seems like a great setup and I’m glad I bought it.

Attachments

• CMMG 22 Conversion.jpg
    CMMG 22 Conversion.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 241
  • CMMG Malfunction.jpg
    CMMG Malfunction.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Malfunction Chamber.jpg
    Malfunction Chamber.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 234
  • Dirty CMMG Kit.jpg
    Dirty CMMG Kit.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2133.jpg
    IMG_2133.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 234
I bought their full upper because I had a spare lower and wanted the .22 specific bore and rifling. I haven't done the type of testing you've done, just taken it to the range and played with it; I like plinking. It's a nice product, a lot of fun. I had to play around with various types of ammo to get one that fed reliably, ended up designating American Eagle 40gr solid for it. It's in the gunsafe next to a .556, and visually they're almost indistinguishable; or they would be if I were running the same optics on each.

I bought their full upper because I had a spare lower and wanted the .22 specific bore and rifling. I haven't done the type of testing you've done, just taken it to the range and played with it; I like plinking. It's a nice product, a lot of fun. I had to play around with various types of ammo to get one that fed reliably, ended up designating American Eagle 40gr solid for it. It's in the gunsafe next to a .556, and visually they're almost indistinguishable; or they would be if I were running the same optics on each.

As a dedicated plinker I imagine I'd prefer a dedicated .22 upper, but between saving money and having the ability to convert back to 5.56 with nothing but a BCG, I'm pretty happy with the concept of a bolt swap on a 5.56 gun. Is your dedicated gun any lighter than your 5.56 gun? The handling characteristics are a big deal to me for training purposes.

I have the same conversion kit, and it has been flawless. It has even run 100% using Remington Subsonics.

My favorite is when I am at the range alone, shooting steel targets with the subsonics and no ear protection. You barely hear anything except the pings off the target.

I had the early cmmg unit and had zero issues. Ate all the ammo I tossed in it. I how ever grew tire of the lack of accuracy. Something subguy doesn't need and good job on you knowing this going in before you bought. Definitely good enough for minute of torso training .
I sold mine eventually to buy a dedicated upper. Went with a tactical solutions taclite model.
Picks of clay targets with ease at 100 yards. I never really put it to any accuracy tests out at 100

Glad it worked out for you......ps I put a shit ton of lead bullets done the pipe with my cmmg kit and never had a lead issue.

I’m looking forward to getting another few hundred rounds through the kit to see if little things smooth out, but overall this seems like a great setup and I’m glad I bought it.

I have the same conversion kit, and it has been flawless.

Nice write-up SubieGuy4!
I just picked up the cheaper, non-stainless, Alpha kit, NIB for $100. Wasn't looking for a conversion kit but figured at that price I should try it. Eager to see how it works out. Besides a good degreasing of the factory grime and a good oiling, is there anything else I should do prior to shooting with it? Any ammo I have to stay away from? I have read that the Ceiner kit should have slide/rails polished and soaked in CLP overnight before cycling the thing 500 times. Anything I need to know for the CMMG? Searching has only turned up just a normal cleaning. Thanks in advance

I didn't do anything special with mine. Don't even think I cleaned it before the first use. I've tried 8-10 different kinds of ammo, and haven't had problems with any of them.

As a dedicated plinker I imagine I'd prefer a dedicated .22 upper, but between saving money and having the ability to convert back to 5.56 with nothing but a BCG, I'm pretty happy with the concept of a bolt swap on a 5.56 gun. Is your dedicated gun any lighter than your 5.56 gun? The handling characteristics are a big deal to me for training purposes.

Sorry, missed this before, what the hell, it's only been like um, seven months...

The two guns are different in weight because my .22 is running a poly lower and a lighter optic. But I've got quite different needs than you do. I'm using the .22 for plinking only, not as a training tool. What I'm doing wouldn't work well for you.

I am experiencing multiple-fires, I've been trying to sort out the reason. If I fire rapidly *sometimes* I get one round off on the trigger squeeze and another off on the release, and neither I nor any of my friends have been able to figure out why. It only happens with one of my lowers, so I suspect something's wrong there...

Nice write-up SubieGuy4!
I just picked up the cheaper, non-stainless, Alpha kit, NIB for $100. Wasn't looking for a conversion kit but figured at that price I should try it. Eager to see how it works out. Besides a good degreasing of the factory grime and a good oiling, is there anything else I should do prior to shooting with it? Any ammo I have to stay away from? I have read that the Ceiner kit should have slide/rails polished and soaked in CLP overnight before cycling the thing 500 times. Anything I need to know for the CMMG? Searching has only turned up just a normal cleaning. Thanks in advance

I recommend sticking to copper plated ammo. CCI is a good bet for the most reliable feeding. American Eagle shoots fine but it has produced an occasional malfunction and also isn't the most accurate. CCI Mini Mags feed great, as have CCI AR Tactical. I'd caution the use of Winchester Super X. I've seen the same thing allen-1 mentioned when Winchester is used with this kit (double fires). (Not with my kit or in my gun, of course). I wouldn't care much about this, but the legal ramifications are significant, should it happen in front of an LEO or an overzealous fudd. Sadly for me, 95% of my .22LR supply is Winchester Super X (my Savage MKII loves it). If I had to guess, the primer on this ammo is a bit softer, so when the bolt goes forward on a new round, the striker might be able to tap the rim with enough force to set it off.

Just another note.
It's been a few years since I had mine. It was a parkerized unit. I found that a,very very very light coat application of clp to be the best I also used remington dry lube with out issue. I did not polish anything. Although it had a bit of a gritty feel this was worn away in about 300ish rounds. To much lube I would get multiple failures as the 22 dirt would stick to everything.
I used old fashioned standard velocity lead round nose 40 grain ammo with out issue.

BAM. Great timing. This video just came out. I've linked it to start right when he starts using the 22LR kit (he's using one of a different brand but it's the exact same design as the CMMG). Twice, you'll see two shells eject with one trigger pull. Blink and you'll miss it, but it double-fires twice. Clearly a design flaw. https://youtu.be/ACKHuj7t8zQ?t=2m12s

BAM. Great timing. This video just came out. I've linked it to start right when he starts using the 22LR kit (he's using one of a different brand but it's the exact same design as the CMMG). Twice, you'll see two shells eject with one trigger pull. Blink and you'll miss it, but it double-fires twice. Clearly a design flaw. https://youtu.be/ACKHuj7t8zQ?t=2m12s

My CMMG upper linked to my S&W M&P lower DOES NOT double, (or at least it hasn't so far). Whereas, it will with my poly lower. I'm going to assemble another lower and see what happens. "In my spare time", which would be right after I get through my "honey-do" list. In other words, not any time soon...

My CMMG upper linked to my S&W M&P lower DOES NOT double, (or at least it hasn't so far). Whereas, it will with my poly lower. I'm going to assemble another lower and see what happens. "In my spare time", which would be right after I get through my "honey-do" list. In other words, not any time soon...

Oh that's interesting, so that makes me think it's not a slam fire but a short stroke. So if the bolt cycles enough to eject and feed, but not enough to reset the hammer, the hammer would be able to follow the bolt back forward and hit the striker again. Sounds like one of your lowers probably has a stiffer hammer spring than the other, which would cause the difference.

CMMG .22LR Alpha AR Conversion

Just got done putting 400 rnds through my CMMG .22LR Alpha AR conversion (phosphate coated, not stainless) and am very pleased

My AR is an LRB lower with White Oak LPK and ALG QMS Trigger. LRB upper with Stag barrel, 1/9 twist. Shooting from the bench, off a block of wood, running irons, at 50yds, and used 3 different types of ammo:
Winchester 333, 36 grain, copper plated, lead hollow point, velocity: 1280 fps
Federal Champion 525, 36 Grain, Plated, Lead Hollow Point, Velocity: 1260 fps
Winchester Super-X, 40 Grain, Plated Round Nose, Velocity: 1300 fps

No feeding, extracting or ejecting issues. No double fires. 2 failures to fire with the Winchester 333 but that is normal from my experience with Winchester bulk.

Accuracy was definitely not comparable to my 10/22 at 50yds with irons. For me, the accuracy was good enough for punching holes in paper plates and having a bit of fun

10rnd mag fit was a bit tight and won’t drop freely when released but may loosen after use. Didn't have to fight to get it out though. No bolt hold open after last round but the mag follower acts as a bolt stop after last round is fired.

Prior to use, I sprayed it down with brake cleaner and lubed with Mobile1.

After shooting with the conversion, I replaced the AR15 bolt group and shot 10 rnds of .223 to clean out gas tube. Gun is dirty but in my opinion, not as bad as it would be with 400rnds of target .223.

In the end, I paid $100.00 for this kit and don’t regret it. It was fun and failure free. I can see using this to train someone on the AR platform too.

Back
Top Bottom