Cleaning brass

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
Let's talk cleaning.

First of all, why is it important? What do you folks do to clean your brass and does nice shiny brass lend anything to accuracy?

Semper Fi!

Assuming no crud left behind, I don't think that shining the brass does anything for accuracy. I used to have problems with bits of walnut shell getting stuck in the primer holes. If one misses one, the end result may not be pretty!

However, shiny brass is a requirement to keep a Marine happy! [twisted]

LenS said:
Assuming no crud left behind, I don't think that shining the brass does anything for accuracy. I used to have problems with bits of walnut shell getting stuck in the primer holes. If one misses one, the end result may not be pretty!

However, shiny brass is a requirement to keep a Marine happy! [twisted]

Ahh, yes, shiny brass is next to Godliness!

The reason I brought this up is the fact that I do not have a tumbler. I've been using the old NRA method of vinegar, salt and dishsoap. My focus is cleaning out residue from inside the brass. I actually clean it twice; once before sizing, and a final cleaning after trimming. (I have, however, been polishing the final product with Brasso before the finished round goes in the box. It's just the Marine in me).

TonyD said:

Well, yes and no. A lot of things are different these days, but "back in my day" we learned real quick to hate anything that shined. Forget about insignia, I even had my dog tags wrapped in electrical tape and lacked into my boots the entire time I was in country. Shiny brass may be next to Godliness, but having it aroung tended to arange the meeting sooner than you might have wished.

Ken

KMaurer said:
TonyD said:

Well, yes and no. A lot of things are different these days, but "back in my day" we learned real quick to hate anything that shined. Forget about insignia, I even had my dog tags wrapped in electrical tape and lacked into my boots the entire time I was in country. Shiny brass may be next to Godliness, but having it aroung tended to arange the meeting sooner than you might have wished.

Ken

Oh, I know very well of which you speak. The shiny is a garrison thing, you know that.

Clean brass does several things for the reloader...

Clean brass does several things for the reloader among which are allowing the reloader to see split necks, head separations, bulges and over all case condition.

As it is smoother with no cr*p on it might allow for better functioning in semi-autos.

As for increased accuracy I would guess that it would allow the bench rest shooters to sort their brass by weight and volume more accurately.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Maybe Not Accuracy

But it helps to clean off the sand, grit, oils, etc from when it fires and then hits the gound.

You spend time cleaning your firearm, might as well not reinterduce more junk into the action that you just cleaned out. At least not more than you have to...

I've been told that clean cases are easier to inspect, easier on the reloading dies and easier on the chamber of a gun.

I usually use a tumbler. I use walnut shell media, size the brass (but not deprime), tumble with corn cob media (to remove the lube residue), then I deprime all the brass with a Lee Decapper, then trim, chamfer and load.

We used to use Kool-Aid at the shop, before tumblers were around, years ago. You didn't add the sugar, and mixed it according to the directions. Apparently, the stuff is mildly acid, and cleans the brass nicely. Remember to rinse in water after.

All of this being said, I don't think you'll find any loss of accuracy from NOT cleaning your brass. If making match ammo, make sure to clean your primer pockets, though. This DOES affect accuracy a little. I don't know how much it'll help a High Power gun, but it does help a Bench Gun.

Back
Top Bottom