Cleaner and Polish in the same tumbling mixture? . . .

When I tumble my brass I’ve only used a cleaner solvent meant for that purpose. I’ve been happy with the results thus far but I would like to try using a “polish” also to get that “like new” look to it but wonder just how you would use it. Would you add it to the tumbling mixture along with the cleaner or have a separate load of tumbling material that you’d use separately from the other?

Reading about comments, some recommended “Iosso Case Polish” and reading their add (below) it implies that you can use it alone with media or after having cleaned it with media and a “cleaning” solvent. What do you folks use and how do you apply it? Thanks.

“Iosso Case Polish” Cleans and polishes brass casings to a high luster. It removes powder fouling, residue, oxidation, tarnish, and discoloration. Add Iosso Case Polish to your media before tumbling. It works with the media to reduce tumbling time and gives your brass a like-new finish. Use Iosso Case Polish on soiled casings or on casings that have been pre-cleaned with the Iosso Case Cleaner.

All I use is Nu-Finish car polish. (comes in orange bottle) I put a capful of that in on every third load or so. Let it run in the tumbler for a few minutes w/o any brass in it to distribute it in the media.

-Mike

All I use is Nu-Finish car polish. (comes in orange bottle) I put a capful of that in on every third load or so. Let it run in the tumbler for a few minutes w/o any brass in it to distribute it in the media.

-Mike

+1. Run the tumbler without any brass in it right after adding the polish and take a
screwdriver to it to break up the clumps of media/polish. Works great.

Honestly, I just tumble and load. I put the used static cling sheets in there to pick up some of the debris, but that's it.

I use this stuff called wizards, it looks like cotton candy smells like mints. Just put in a wad of that and it makes my brass shiny and new looking in about 2 hours. Then when it is spent, you just pull out the old wad and throw in a new one.

Honestly, I just tumble and load. I put the used static cling sheets in there to pick up some of the debris, but that's it.

Exactly.

When I get "style points" for shiny brass at a USPSA match, I'll worry about it.

Of course, if I were shooting cowboy matches, it would be something to consider.

I use brass polish. I'm a little leery of using Nu Finish as it contains some sort of wax or polymer to protect the car's finish (works great on my truck). I prefer to leave no residue on the cases.

One can buy tumbler media rejuvenator/polish easily enough and avoid any issues of ammonia or making the cases too slick to transfer the load to the receiver (thus putting the load on the bolt or slide).

I add some to the bulk corn media, let it work in and dry, then start tumbling.

The only other thing I add to media are strips cut from used dryer sheets. Change them when they start looking gray.

2nd Question Added . . .

Folks, many thanks for your input. I think I’ll be taking the advice of trying the Nu-Finish car polish first. I don’t see where it will put a “residue” on the casings. You’re only putting in less than a capful and running the tumbler till it absorbs into the media, how much residue could you possibly get on your casings that way? The media probably feels dry, even after adding the polish so I can’t see any harm.

I don’t shoot all that often, especially rifle, and I noticed the nice clean reloaded shells that I stored away start tarnishing somewhat and getting really dull after a while. I was told that polishing them would actually seal them from tarnishing for quite a while longer than just cleaning them, so that’s the way I’m hoping to go.

If I may add one more question here . . .I use an RCBS lubricating pad and I find it rather difficult to remove the lube after they’re done. I wonder if they make a lube that is easier to remove, perhaps one that will clean up with water? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom