• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Clean shooting .45 .AND 38 rounds

Lately I been doing more shooting than I ever have. I started with a 1000 rounds of just about every thing. Now I just want to go out and get about 2000 rounds each of 38's and 45's.

Lately I been using some reloads I picked up. The wife likes to go with me once in a while. Last week at Braintree I gave her some reloaded semi wad cutters that I picked up at a gunshop. What a mistake she had on a white blouse and as she started shooting in a few seconds she was envloped in a cloud of black powder. She stood back and said That wasn't funny. She thought I did it on purpose. I was amazed myself. It looked like she was shooting a Black powder rifle.

What I'm looking for is a clean burning round like PMC or Blaze. Or are PMC and Blazer the the only 2 you can buy at a decent case price?

Winchester Winclean, This is a little pricy but is super clean. I have shot 100 rounds of this stuff and had less to clean then 10 rounds of regular ammo.

http://www.winchester.com/products/...aspx?symbol=WC451&cart=NDUgQXV0b21hdGlj&bn=10

beb.jpg

I hope you were shooting outdoors or in the old range. Anything in the new range at Braintree should get sucked up by the HEPA system and not be a problem for you or your Wife.

I've shot 5-600 rds of .45 since Friday and have yet to clean my SS S&W1911. It is not dirty and I've been running the Winchester white box that Wal-Mart sells. I've also used probably 1-2K of .45 PMC and found that to also be relatively clean ammo.

Actually I was shooting in the new range. I was lucky we were in there instead of the old range. So that must give you an idea how bad those rounds were. It tok a good minute or two before the cloud was sucked away. The pistol was filthy for about a inch back from the barrel.

Looking at Winchester's website, it seems they don't make Winclean in .22LR. Any other manufacturers make similar clean ammo (or at least TMJ) in .22LR? (Or is the lead issue from the exposed bullet base just not that big a deal in .22LR?)

LenS said:
I've shot 5-600 rds of .45 since Friday and have yet to clean my SS S&W1911. It is not dirty and I've been running the Winchester white box that Wal-Mart sells.
Len, what's the price for Winchester white box at Wal-Mart and, please don't laugh, what Wall-Mart do you buy them from? Several Wall-Marts in my area I tried don't sell any ammo at all.

Jack,

WWB .45 is $19.9x at Wally World. I've bought it at Walpole, MA (ugh, customer service sucks to say the least) and Hudson, NH (sharp and polite clerks, mostly shooters).

HOWEVER, Carl at FS now carries the EXACT SAME WWB .45 100 packs for $19.9x as well.

I don't recall the prices to the penny, but Wally World and FS were within $0.02 per box.

So, if you need it and can make the trip to Woburn (Tues - Sat) that is your best bet. Just make sure he's not out of stock first by calling if you aren't nearby.

Len, thanks a lot for the info. I do frequent FS and will gladly buy this ammo from Carl. Actually, so far all my guns and ammo purchases are from Carl. I can't say enough about his customer service, great folks and a great store.

Just got back from WW in Salem NH. WWB value packs are $19.97 for 45 ACP and $11.34 for 9mm. But dont rush to head up there - they are out of stock right now :D

Bugie

A problem with Wally World around here is that they usually stock LESS THAN 1K rounds in any caliber of their value-packs!

I know since I called the Hudson NH store as well as dropped in there before our defensive handgun courses last Summer. I was looking for 1K of .45 and told them that there might be a number of shooters in the same position. No dice and no offers to "special order" quantity.

When I asked the arrogant sporting goods manager at the Walpole, MA Wal-Mart if they might have 1K of .45, he just laughed and said that they rarely had anywhere near that quantity in stock.

The average "gunny" purchaser at Four Seasons usually thinks in 500 or 1K quantities for ammo and Carl has an off-site storage place so that he can restock the store rapidly when need be.

Moderator said:
Winchester Winclean, This is a little pricy but is super clean. I have shot 100 rounds of this stuff and had less to clean then 10 rounds of regular ammo.

http://www.winchester.com/products/...aspx?symbol=WC451&cart=NDUgQXV0b21hdGlj&bn=10

beb.jpg

What were you shooting that in? I have tried those several times in my SW1911 and it really doesn't like feeding them. I even had a FTE that jammed the casing between the magazing and the slide. Had a heck of a time getting it out. I do like the clean holes it makes but my pistol seems to hate it. Oh well, guess I'll save money on WWB. [wink]

I had the same issue with my 1911. If you get your ramp polished it will help alot. It's the deisghn of the bullet. I wouldn't be suprised if semi-wad cutters do the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom