• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Class Review: AAR: Everyday Shotgun March 2020, Keene NH 3R OPERATIONS

EVERYDAY SHOTGUN, 3R OPERATIONS, INC.
MARCH, 2020, KEENE NH
AAR - Class Review

Instructor: Brian A. Sayers
Weather: Cool sun/clouds 20s in the morning and 50’s in the afternoons
Location: Cheshire County Shooting Sports Education Foundation, Keene, NH
Hardware: Beretta 1301 12g (5+1)
Chest Rig: SOE 12 ga Micro Rig
Round Count: 471 birdshot, 55 Buckshot, 40 slugs
---

Started off with an introduction of instructor and students, who we were, our past training, what we wanted to learn in this shotgun class. For me it was a full shakedown of my new 1301 semi-auto. I had tried to use the 1301 in another class, but I was unable to use it because it had a plugin the magazine that I forgot to take out before the class started and just used my backup Mossberg 590 for that class. This class I was ready to really put this shotgun to the test of a high round count two-day class.

We identified the students with medical training, went over our medical plan if there was a training accident. Brian’s truck was back up in the range with the local hospital address programmed into the GPS keys in the ignition and the driver’s window rolled down. So we did not need to implement the medical plan we went over the safety rules and how we were going to be safe for the rest of our lives when using guns. There were no days off from safety when handling firearms, EVER! Everyone is a safety officer!

Brian showed us a pump shotgun, explained each part of it, how it worked, how it loads and unloads, both port loading and loading the tube magazine. We were shown where the safety was located on both Mossberg and Remington’s, and when the safety was put on and taken off. He explained that shotguns were not drop safe so, extra attention was stressed with engaging the safety on a shotgun. We went over how to clear malfunctions.

Brian showed us different types of slings and explained the importance of having a sling on a shotgun. He explained that some instructors taught no slings for a shotgun for home defense, cause they could be caught on doorknobs or things. He understood this and did not completely disagree if the gun for solely keep in the bedroom and used for home defense. However, he believed the sling for a shotgun was like a holster for a handgun.

Brian had each of get our shotguns, actions open, he showed us how to check and see if the shotguns fit us correctly and had the sling setups. We headed to the range, time to shoot.

On the range each person had a steel target and a cardboard humanoid target. We were shown how to sling our shotguns and transition to the pistol if we were within pistol range (25 yards or less) If our shotguns ran dry and we were within pistol range it was faster to transition to a working gun. We warmed up with some pistol shots learning how to move our shotguns out of the way, clear our cover garments which were a little different for us carrying appendix while wearing chest rigs, move off the X and shoot the number of rounds called out. We always followed each drill with the normal WYATT protocol of Fight, Assess, Scan, and Top Off. Once Brian was satisfied that we all were doing the pistol transition safely we loaded our shotguns and fired at the steel.

We shot the shit out of the steel targets. The once shiny black steel AR500 targets were now taken down to their original steel and I realized that this class was a shotgun reloading class. These beasts were constantly needing ammo. I also realized how handy wearing a shotgun chest rig. This was the first shotgun class I wore a chest rig. I normally ran a dump pouch full of shells…using a chest rig was faster.

We shot a ton, strong side, weak side, from our backs, sitting down, kneeling, fetal, walking forwards and walking backward. We shot two-handed and single-handed. We shot cover and concealment drills standing, kneeling, and in the fetal position.

We had an entire block of shotgun myth-busting which was fascinating and hilarious to debunk the common myths in society about the shotgun. I’ll leave the content of the myths blank so if you take the class you’ll enjoy it more. :)

We did a bunch of team drills, learning to communicate and safely move with and around others with guns. They are were a blast (HEE HEE!) Learning to shoot with others when you are next to, above, below is a skill that does not come naturally especially when everyone is shooting such a large boom stick.

In between drills Brian would elaborate on the skill that we just learned while we loaded up and hydrating. These mini-lectures reinforced what we just learned as well as the way we were learning it, how it may be of use in a “real world” situation, and gave us an opportunity to ask questions on the technique.

We changed to buckshot and slugs, learned how every single shotgun shoots buckshot differently. How to pattern buck at 3, 7, 15, and 25 yards. We cut open shells to see what makes them different and how the different ingredients affect recoil and damage to the target.

We were taught how to do a “select slug reload” when we had a full gun with buckshot and needed a precise shot. We ran a bunch of drills shooting buckshot at mid-range distances and doing a select slug reload and shoot at a steel target about 80 yards away. Those drills were my favorite of the class.

We ended the class with a few team bounding drills using cover/concealment, communicating with our partner, reloading on the move, moving together as a team while pounding the f*** out of a steel “bad guy” Each of us shot about 40 12 gauge shells and a pistol mag on each iteration of these drills, it was awesome!

We cleaned up the range did a debrief, went around the group telling everyone at least one thing we had learned. We had our certificate mini ceremony, took some ibuprofen and went home as it was getting dark. Sad moment of the weekend.

Brian is a great instructor. He is patient, clear, and uses small everyday words to explain what he wants. He tells you a few times what he wants and how he wants it done, he then shows you how he wants it done and tells you again what he wants… I like that.

A few things I took away:

• I had trouble with off-shoulder off eye shooting. I could not see the sites and have it tight to my body. I blew my ear-pro off twice and inflicted some pain on my body on those shots.
  • The shotgun is a devastating weapon. I love it, of all the types of guns (pistol, rifle or shotgun) it is my favorite to shoot. It always has been my go-to for home defense.
  • My 1301 was awesome. Worked great. Zero issues. Ate everything. The only FFE was when I was in the fetal position and I had the ejection port too close my clothes, I got a stove pipe. My fault no guns. I shot high brass and low brass birdshot without an issue. The only issue I had was me not knowing when I had to press the button near the loading gate to eject a shell so I could select load a slug correctly. Once Brian showed me I needed to do that I had no problems. My ignorance, not the guns issue. I LOVE this gun. Lightweight to shoot one-handed, lower felt recoil than my Mossberg 590 or my Remington 870. I call it a sports car shotgun!
##

No website by choice. Email or call Brian for an invitation to a class. You will not regret it. Full money-back guarantee.

3R OPERATIONS INC.
Instructor Brian A. Sayers
Phone: (518) 929-4818
Email: [email protected]
Instagram: shootvideos & 3roperations
YouTube: Shoot Videos

Back
Top Bottom