• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chronograph Data for 9mm Load from new Dillon 650

Amputee Marksman

NES Member
I picked up a new Dillon a few weeks ago and got a chance to chronograph my standard 9mm load over the weekend.

9mm Load specifications.

4.3 grain W231
Federal 100 Small Pistol Primer
124 grain Berry's Hollow Base Round Nose Thick Plated
COL 1.150

Chronograph Data:

Average Velocity1105.4
Standard Deviation8.1
High Velocity1119
Low Velocity1089
Spread30
Average Power Factor137.4
Number Shots15

I am pretty happy with the consistency. I am not sure if you can expect any better out the machine.

I am trying to target an average velocity of 1050 so based on some of my data collected previously I am pretty sure I can drop my charge to 4.2 grain of W231/HP-38 and get closer to 1050 without dropping below that.

WW 231 is a great powder, too bad it can get scarce from time to time. My favorite for non magnum loads.

You'll get very consistent loads from the Dillon with ball/flake powders.

My 650 was a great investment, I was getting a handful of mousefart and +p loads with my last setup...[laugh]

No! I meant D Squared as in D to the 2nd as in D Draper. your initials. LOL

Ha Ha! I thought you meant a Square Deal B Press, as in that is what I used to reload. Actually a few of my old time High School buddies still call me by nickname of back then which was Double D.

- - - Updated - - -

When you feel like playing around try some 147gr bullets. IDPA power factor drops to 851 fps with the heavier bullet. They make a very flat shooting accurate round.

I have been using the 124s for about a year. I was trying to get them to 1050 for a PF of 130. I have seriously been considering the 147s but for the time being I still have about 4000 of the 124s to use up.

When you feel like playing around try some 147gr bullets. IDPA power factor drops to 851 fps with the heavier bullet. They make a very flat shooting accurate round.

What exactly do you mean by "flat shooting"? I always thought you needed a higher velocity round to get it to "shoot flat". I wouldn't think a bullet crawling along at 851 fps would be able to stay flat for very long before dropping off significantly.

Am I missing something???

What exactly do you mean by "flat shooting"? I always thought you needed a higher velocity round to get it to "shoot flat". I wouldn't think a bullet crawling along at 851 fps would be able to stay flat for very long before dropping off significantly.

Am I missing something???

He's referring to the recoil impulse

I thought "shooting flat" had to do with the actual trajectory of the bullet when it left the gun, not about perceived recoil. I think I'm right and you guys may be wrong. BUT, I'm not sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought "shooting flat" had to do with the actual trajectory of the bullet when it left the gun, not about perceived recoil. I think I'm right and you guys may be wrong. BUT, I'm not sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on context. Shooting flat with rifles means high velocity / BC. Shooting flat with handguns means minimal sight lift, the ideal being an open gun where the dot never leaves the glass / shooters vision.

Back
Top Bottom