Children Trap Shooters?

So my 9yr old went to range with me Sunday and when we were leaving we watched some trap.

"Hey dad......that looks like fun. Can I get a shotgun?"

So off to the internet I go. Looks like a .20ga Mossberg Super Bantam might fit the bill with lite loads.

Anyone here have kids in that age range (he is a tall 9 looks like 10-11)? Any suggestions? I have been dreaming about trap since then (been ages since I shot it).

I don't have kids in that age range (yet), but a local boy scout troop camps out at our club every year and does a black powder/trap demo in the morning. I usually work the trap range, and the kids will use everything from 28's to 12's. My only suggestion is to not get one of those single shot 20 gauge H&R's. The 20 gauge is a good idea, but those things seem to kick quite a bit, and I've seen more than one kid soured on the whole experience by using one of those. That Mossberg will be great, and they'll have a chance to grow into it. To cut the "fear of recoil" off at the pass, stress how important it is to hold the gun tightly to the shoulder when shooting. Most problems with the kids come from them not holding tight, and then get kicked in the shoulder on the shot. Other than that, just focus on having fun. That's the easiest way to keep them interested. That's mostly accomplished by you, but the people you're shooting with will have a big impact. If you get a group of people that take it way too seriously, it's not going to be as much fun. Wednesday nights at my club are great. I've gone some nights without a gun just to go hang out.

Uncle: Great advice.....Agree on the single shots. 1. Recoil seems worse; 2. cool factor for that age kids not as high as a pump. I am lucky that my clubs range is open whenever I want to go down and open it. Getting trained on that this Sunday. So during summer I can take him down on my lunch hour for some private time.

BradM: You got that right.....Few great moments with my kids.....Skiing first time; First time soloing on dirtbike; First time shooting. Both for the girl and boy.

The key is lightly loaded 12 GA shells. And a Knoxx recoil reducing stock also works wonders.

Problem is trying to find a short enough LOP in 12ga

Browning has a deal going on now when you buy certian shotguns set up for youth you an upgrade the stock for 50% off in the future. Not to bad a deal in my mind.

7/8oz 20ga would be great to start.

Ping MisterHappy on here. He is the trap guru of Southbourgh Rod and Gun and can give you some pointers.

Last edited:
Go with the 12ga with the light loads like the other poster suggested. He will get frustrated with the 20ga. He will get better results with the 12ga and wont be asking you for a bigger gun in two weeks!!

Paging Mister Happy. Mister Happy to the white courtesy phone. [smile]

Someone call for MisterHappy? [smile]

Flyer, my son started "really" shooting trap about age 9, (he's now 11) and began with a shortened-stock 20 ga winchester. About a year ago, he transistioned to my full-size 12, but he's a big kid.

NRA Instructor training teaches that you should start out with a 12-ga auto - the 12 for the largest shot load, and the auto for the recoil reduction.

That being said, IMO the primary concern is, in my opinion, the weight of the gun - if it's too heavy for the kid to hold for 25 shots, then he'll do poorly, and lose interest. (I use "he" in response to the OP - ladies of all ages are welcome!). Kids that are classmates of my son are not capable of handling the 12, just because it's heavy.

One of my sayings : "No fit, no hit." whatever he (or anyone on the Trap range ) uses, if the gun's not the right proportions, it will be frustrating and painful.

Before you run out and get a gun, come on out and have your son try it. At Southborough Rod & Gun Club, we shoot Thursday 6-9 and Sunday, 1-4, and you guys would be welcome. We have Club 20s and a short 12 for the Club's Junior Trap program. When it coes time to buy, remember that the gun will be too small in short order, and a used gun can be a big advantage, too.

There are many good memories involved in shooting with you kids....then they start beating you! [laugh]

i dont have kids in that range anymore, they are all adults. i now shoot regularly with my 16 yr old grandson. the first time he shot a shotgun he was 9 yrs old but he was also 5' 6" tall, it was a 12 gauge and he said it was fun. the 2nd shot out of it he won his first round at a turkey shoot. he shoots almost every turkey and lobster shoot each year at our club and he is a consistant winner there. in fact we will be at a lobster shoot this sunday and hopefully he has a good day. it was more fun shooting with him before he got better than me (lol) but i wont trade one minute for anything. having your kids or grandkids out on the range or in the woods is one of the best things in life. trust me get him into shooting with you and youve got a partner for life. youre a lucky person cherish the time spent with him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom