Check out the brass catching skills of the MIL Sniper...

beaker

NES Member
Looks like a Brit, shooting 338. Watch his right hand carefully, done this a few times methinks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardcore... he's not even going "ouch... muthaf**er" when the brass burns his fingers.

I'm more impressed by how quiet that suppressor is (the rifle looks like it might be an Accuracy International).

Hardcore... he's not even going "ouch... muthaf**er" when the brass burns his fingers.

I'm more impressed by how quiet that suppressor is (the rifle looks like it might be an Accuracy International).

Burn??? His fingers are so calloused he juggles hot brass

I remember back during the rifle trips with the scouts, some of the guys would try and catch brass as it was ejected from other people's rifles. It was pretty entertaining when someone snagged a .30-06 round out of the air...the fact that the guy in the vid is doing it with .338 is nuts

It's just a bolt action. Brass from a bolt action aren't nearly as warm as those from a gas gun.

The fact that I know this should tell you a little something about my own BABCA.

BABCA = Bad Ass Brass Catching Abilities

[laugh2]

This is true. I have an FN M1950 .30-06 bolt gun and the brass come out of that warm at best.
Another time I was shooting a Garand in a high power match, my first round of offhand went straight up and came down and lodged between my glasses and eyelid. Uncomfortable to say the least. The burn kinda made me look like Ernst Stavro Blofeld for a couple days.

This is true. I have an FN M1950 .30-06 bolt gun and the brass come out of that warm at best.
Another time I was shooting a Garand in a high power match, my first round of offhand went straight up and came down and lodged between my glasses and eyelid. Uncomfortable to say the least.

This has been my experience too with bolt action, lever action and break action rifles.
It's only the semi or full auto actions that spit out hot brass, even in .22
HK's (91/93) fling really hot brass with black stripes down their length.
You have to wait a bit before you can even pick them up off the ground.

I got a hot shell from a 1911 between the glasses and eyelid once, not fun.

This may be a bit of a know it all response coming up, ample warning :) 1., Most bolt guns I've used, including my trusty R700, make this fairly easy. The ejection is far from violent and is entirely predictable because you're controlling that ejection. It's really not that hard to do after a few rounds. Gas guns would be a whole 'nother story.

I remember back during the rifle trips with the scouts, some of the guys would try and catch brass as it was ejected from other people's rifles. It was pretty entertaining when someone snagged a .30-06 round out of the air...the fact that the guy in the vid is doing it with .338 is nuts

2., I'm nearly positive that's the 308 version of the AI they use. The size, length of action, and recoil all lead me to believe this. They field it along with their 338s:

http://www.snipercentral.com/l96a1.htm

Not saying I'm certain here, but my $$ would be on it being the 308 version and not the 338.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem doing the same with any of my bolt-action guns (.303, 7.5 Swiss, 7.5 French, 8mm Mauser, 8x56R, 7.62x54R). Well, okay, the straight-pulls are a challenge to actually catch the brass, but they're not unbearably hot.

On the other hand, I've either done or witnessed the "Safety Dance" with 5.56, almost every pistol caliber, and even .22 LR.

2., I'm nearly positive that's the 308 version of the AI they use. The size, length of action, and recoil all lead me to believe this. They field it along with their 338s:

Not saying I'm certain here, but my $$ would be on it being the 308 version and not the 338.

That's what I thought as well,it's .308 and not .338..That rifle looks a lot like mine..the AI long action receiver dwarfs the short action,and the recoil doesn't look like what you would get from a .338

Kind of hard to tell from the angle of this pic,but my .308 is in the middle and my friends .338LM is on the end,big receiver size difference.The rounds on the left are for comparison...338 makes .308 look like a .22

IW4M6410.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, those little .22's are murderous. I had one come out of a jennings and go down the front of my tank top. Burned a .22 cartridge print into me.

My Grandpa's bottom ejecting 22 semi-auto bounced a case off a wooden box I was leaning across to shoot and it hit and stuck between my lips. Burned my tongue too trying to push the brass out from between my lips. Damn that still hurts to think about and that was forty years ago.

Back
Top Bottom