• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Charter Arms revolvers

Redneck

NES Member
I was wondering if anyone knew if the older Charter Arms models are MA ok? By older I mean ones from about 20 years ago. I was giving a good deal on an old one, but I want to make sure they are MA ok before I do anything.

There are some Charter Arms on the EOPS list. Talk to your local FFL, see if they'll do the transfer. Practically speaking, they are the ultimate arbiter of what you can get transferred in from out of state. Good luck.

Ya, I was going to but figured I would ask on here first, doesn't hurt to see if any of the dealers on here, or anyone else knew from experience

There are some Charter Arms on the EOPS list. Talk to your local FFL, see if they'll do the transfer. Practically speaking, they are the ultimate arbiter of what you can get transferred in from out of state. Good luck.

Talking to the FFL is the right thing to do. You shouldn't have a problem as you've stated the firearm is 20+ years old and therefore existed before the EOPS list existed. As it is in another state, the handgun should go from a NH-FFL to a MA-FFL then to you for the transfer.

Pondhill, The new Charters are well made. We carry them here if you'd like to see them.

Is it really necessary to go through two FFL's ??
What if a MA licensed person transported it from NH directly to a MA FFL ???

Techinically there does not have to be a FFL in each state. Most FFL's I have dealt with will not accept a handgun unless it is shipped by a FFL in the other state.

From, http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-additional

Q: What record-keeping procedures should be followed when two private individuals want to engage in a firearms transaction?
When a transaction takes place between private (unlicensed) persons who reside in the same State, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. A private person may sell a firearm to another private individual in his or her State of residence and, similarly, a private individual may buy a firearm from another private person who resides in the same State. It is not necessary under Federal law for a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are “same-State” residents. Of course, the transferor/seller may not knowingly transfer a firearm to someone who falls within any of the categories of prohibited persons contained in the GCA. See 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(g) and (n). However, as stated above, there are no GCA-required records to be completed by either party to the transfer.

There may be State or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact State Police units or the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.

Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a firearm from a private person who resides in another State, the firearm will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer’s State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping. See also Question B3.

Back
Top Bottom