Changing primers...

Paleoman

NES Member
I was using Fiocchi small pistol primers for 9mm. Getting low, I tried to get more, but they were all out. I ended up getting Winchester primers.

I have a question for the group. Should I rework my load from the start amount and determine the proper load, or can I use the same load I have?

I thought I was supposed to rework the load, but two people at Shooters Outpost said to not worry about it and use the same load.

Comments?

sent from my phone.

IANAE, but...
Unless you were already loading +P+, aka "the hairy edge" then I wouldn't worry about it. You're not swapping standard pistol for magnum primers, after all.
Look for pressure signs, work down or (if you are not already in the hairy edge) up a little to get the POI to match the POA of your previous loads, and just choot'em.

+1 Don't worry about it unless you are pushing the limits for pressure, in other words at or close to the max load.

Thanks for the confirmation. My load is in the middle. I tried 4.9, 5.1, and 5.3 grain and settled on 5.1grain (no noticeable difference going higher). Max is 5.4 for CPE pistol.

sent from my phone.

If you have a crony that gives consistent feedback you might see some differences there.

I haven't invested in a chronograph yet. Would like to, but need to figure out where I can use it at.

sent from my phone.

I believe primers are different brand from brand more in hardness than in power. Federal SPP for instance are prized by revo guys who have light spring kits installed, as the weaker hammer blow may not ignite the harder ( like CCI) primers, particularly when its cold out.
The short story here, if you are gauging pressure by how much the primer was flattened or cratered,although the pressure may not significantly change with a primer brand change, your perception of it may. Agree with above, $100 chrono is a good investment.

For the chronograph, I need to set that up outside? IOW I can't use it at an indoor range, right?

I'm not sure if I can/should try this at home. Rural, 2 acre lot, in NH. I'd have to check with town on setback, but also may freak out the neighbors, so not sure I can test with a chronograph. Maybe find some place where I could...will take some research.

sent from my phone.

Chrono will work inside as far as artificial lighting. Sometimes you have to try some different things though. Skyscreens installed or not installed, directly under a overhead light, or off to one side of the light type of thing.

Helps if the indoor you shoot at is somewhat flexible as to shooting position etc. I generally end up taking a knee about six feet behind of a small table with the chrono on top of it well down range of the "firing line" when no one else is around, obviously.

Last edited:
If you load for accuracy, you will almost certainly have to rework the load. If you are just shooting for fun, then you are fine.
Changing primers does have small effect on velocity.
So, no, you don't HAVE to rework the load...

Back
Top Bottom