Cerakote Project: Color option opinions wanted

I'm finally going to do a Cerakote project. I'm going to have one of 2 local places in Peabody do it. I haven't decided which. It's going to be a vg condition G23. I picked it up cheap so I figure it's a good test gun not only to test how I like Cerakote but also the coaters. From what I hear the stuff is great.

I wasn't sure if I was going to the frame first but the more I thought about it. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it. I'm also curious to see how it holds up on polymer. I've got a couple different ideas in my head. My original thought was a tanish color frame and darker more brown color on the slide. Now I'm starting to reconsider. I tend to like the Grey/Black combos better than the tan. I have also decided to keep all the controls black. If i decide to swap parts down the road I don't want to deal with having to re-coat small pieces

Flat Dark Earth and Patriot Brown
db_file_img_15899_1200xauto.jpg

Sniper grey with Armor Black ( I have a 2nd gen frame so no finger grooves. I also would not tape off around the panels on the side of the grip. I would do it all in grey and if I wanted the black on the panels I would get the rubber or sandpaper adhesive grips)
db_file_img_8347_1200xauto.jpg

Sniper grey and Titanium or Stainless
db_file_img_16279_1200xauto.jpg

Blue Titanium and Tungsten or Stainless
photo_zpsef3d5a2b.jpg

I'm really curious about Blue Titanium. In some pictures it looks like a real nice dark blueish color. In others it looks very light. I found a bunch of pictures on this site yesterday and I can't find the pics anymore. I only have the one. In some pictures the blue looks very light and I don't like it as much. I think it would be nice but it's also not a very neutral color. If i go to sell the gun some people may not like it where I think the black, grey, or tan colors are a lot more neutral.

I know it's my decision to make but what does everyone think? I'm thinking i like the Sniper Grey and Stainless Slide but I haven't made a final decision yet.

I had an M16A1 clone I built a few years back done in Sniper Grey. It will look more blue to your eyes in natural light than that picture shows. Not as vibrant as the Titanium Blue you posted, but that kind of look. I'll post pics tonight when I get home.

As far as the examples you posted, #1 looks the best to my eyes, but it still doesn't look right. I'm not sure what about it I don't like though. Maybe a shade darker on each color, or get rid of the two-tone and just do the whole thing in Burnt Bronze? Kind of like the old Spikes Tactical "doo doo brown" anodizing.

I'd be interested in seeing the pictures. Unfortunately seeing all the colors is hard. The color patches on the Cerakote sight are useless so I have been going by examples of work done but they vary a lot by light. In some pictures the Sniper grey looks like a medium grey but in others it almost appears to be only a few shades off black.

Burnt Bronze is a pretty cool color. It's pretty popular. I tend to think the flat colors look better at least on the glock frame. It could just be me though. Since it's a poly frame I kinda think to myself it should be a metallic type color.

I really like the black with grey slide. It just works on glocks. Not so much on m&ps though. The titanium blue looks sweet but....I'm a KISS kinda guy. Simple is the way to go imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burnt bronze is played out. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting something cerakoted in burnt bronze.

It's a Glock, so pink is the obvious choice.

Burnt bronze is played out. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting something cerakoted in burnt bronze.

It's a Glock, so pink is the obvious choice.

Pin and white was my first choice but I figured it may hurt resale value.

The Sniper Grey and Tungsten slide is what I think I'm going to go with. I went on the company's FB page and they had a few more pictures of the combo. I like it.

1517578_251537948344803_1186594425_n.jpg

1544288_252324598266138_1157871502_n.jpg

The Sniper Grey and Tungsten slide is what I think I'm going to go with. I went on the company's FB page and they had a few more pictures of the combo. I like it.

I did a rifle in Tungsten and I really like how it came out. Northeast Arms in Peabody did the work.

I almost hate posting this picture because it doesn't do the rifle justice. (Crappy cellphone pic in bad light.) It looks a lot darker in real life.

2014-06-02190448HDR_zpsd6a404bf.jpg

Last edited:
A member here Paper City Firearms does cerakote of just about any color and pattern you can think up.

And, he's one of the few certified applicators in this area.

I did a rifle in Tungsten and I really like how it came out. Northeast Arms in Peabody did the work.

I almost hate posting this picture because it doesn't do the rifle justice. (Crappy cellphone pic in bad light.) It looks a lot darker in real life.

2014-06-02190448HDR_zpsd6a404bf.jpg

That still looks good though. I like that. I don't know why, maybe it's the way shadows get cast over guns, but the looks of the colors varies a lot in pictures.

That still looks good though. I like that. I don't know why, maybe it's the way shadows get cast over guns, but the looks of the colors varies a lot in pictures.

It's the camera a lot of the time -- how it interprets the ambient light color temp, and how much dynamic range is in the shot. Cell phone cameras are (in general when compared to DSLRs) very bad at taking photos that accurately represent what you saw with your eyes.

Plus, product shots taken with a DSLR are super easy to manipulate in post to make things look (on the screen) how the marketers want them to look. And unless you have identically calibrated monitors, colors/contrast will look different from one screen to another.

Last edited:

It's very even in real life, and darker too. I took the pic with a crappy iPhone 4 camera after I zeroed it and the sun was going down. I think the flash washed it out a bit.

PM me if you want to see it in person, we could meet up at Bob's shop.

It's the camera a lot of the time -- how it interprets the ambient light color temp, and how much dynamic range is in the shot. Cell phone cameras are (in general when compared to DSLRs) very bad at taking photos that accurately represent what you saw with your eyes.

Plus, product shots taken with a DSLR are super easy to manipulate in post to make things look (on the screen) how the marketers want them to look. And unless you have identically calibrated monitors, colors/contrast will look different from one screen to another.

That's a good point. I remember a few years ago some of the people made cheap light boxes and the pictures looked awesome.

Back
Top Bottom