CCI Magnum large pistol primers with Maximum non magnum loads

.45ACP

CCI primer# 350 (Large pistol, Magnum)

I need to increase the load using 700X, firing 12.95gram (200 grain) cast bullets, with max load allowed 356mg (5.5 grain).

Is this an acceptable idea while using magnum primers ?

I'm thinking "yes" mainly due to the .45ACP "forgiving nature" (operating in relative low pressure).

Any objections ? am I stupid ? (yes [laugh])

Well. I loaded them ~8% off the max.

12% off the max was really too light, according to the fire test, to the point the rack won't slide back and lock on the final round on a few magazines.

18,000 CUP being the published max for this caliber.

According to Lyman, 356mg(5.5 grain) of 700x places the pressure at 17,300 CUP - the max load does yet climb to the danger zone, as expected.

With too many variables and too little known ways to pre-determine pressure, I charged it with 330mg(5.1 grains).

Should be fine.

.45ACP

CCI primer# 350 (Large pistol, Magnum)

I need to increase the load using 700X, firing 12.95gram (200 grain) cast bullets, with max load allowed 356mg (5.5 grain).

Is this an acceptable idea while using magnum primers ?

I'm thinking "yes" mainly due to the .45ACP "forgiving nature" (operating in relative low pressure).

Any objections ? am I stupid ? (yes [laugh])

I'd tend to agree with you. I can't say what differences, if any, there would be by substituting LPM for LP in .45 ACP.

Hodgdon website lists 5.3 gr. as maximum under a 200g LSWC, fwiw.
I'd just switch to CFE Pistol, Titewad or W572 if you seek a bit more oompf!

Last edited:
I'd tend to agree with you. I can't say what differences, if any, there would be by substituting LPM for LP in .45 ACP.

Hodgdon website lists 5.3 gr. as maximum under a 200g LSWC, fwiw.
I'd just switch to CFE Pistol, Titewad or W572 if you seek a bit more oompf!

Yes.
I already had 200 cases magnum-primed and flared, no way I'd de-prime just to prime back with non-magnum. [laugh]
I have non-magnum primers now, and pretty certain I'd get a nice bang when loading max w/o fear/worry of non-standard primer for the charge.

- - - Updated - - -

I read the first post several times and couldn't figure out what you were asking.

Was asking how close can I get to a maximum load of non magnum charge, with a magnum primer.

It's all history now. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom