• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Casting for Hi Point .45 carbine

The Goose

NES Member
Some of you may have seen my post a little while back on the Hi-Point 4595 carbine. I picked up this cheap fun little gun for a plinker and it has proven to be a real peach. So in keeping with the economical (cheap) nature of this gun I wanted to work up some equally cheap loads. My goal was to only use what I already have without buying anything new and to cast bullets out of the 50/50 wheel weight and range lead ingots that did not cost me anything.

First off I have thousands of .45 acp brass that I have scrounged over the years, I always have primers and a lot of Bullseye powder. So the bullet was the big factor. I do not have any molds specifically for .45 acp, but I do cast for .45 Colt. One of my molds is a Lee 200 gr roundnose flatpoint that works very well in my Vaquero and lever actions. The mold with my alloy throws a .455 bullet. I sized it to .452 and then tumble lubed it with Lee allox and a sprinkling of Gold Bond powder when dry. One ugly looking bullet. I then loaded that over 5.7 grs of Bullseye. Now, would it work??

Hit the range today with 300 rds of loaded ammo. I set up a 5.5" Shoot N C at 50 feet. Plinking range for me. I have plenty of long range rifles, this is just for short range fun. The carbine has a Bushnell Trophy red do on it. I wanted this to be a real torture test. In fact the rifle was still dirty from last time. I currently own 3 9rd. magazines for this rifle and my plan was to load and shoot as fast as possible until all 300 rds were gone. Which I did. When the smoke cleared (literally) one large 4" hole was in the center the target and there was a lot of brass scattered about. I had one FTE, but that round felt very light and I think it was not a full charge so the bolt did not completely cycle. What a blast.

When I got home I cleaned the barrel without disassembling the rifle. I wanted to check for leading. There was zero. This little carbine still never ceases to amaze me. I now have in excess of 1000 rds through it and have only had the one FTE. The best $278 dollars I have ever spent.

every day I am mad at myself for missing out on that group buy. sounds like you had a blast. statements like
When the smoke cleared (literally) one large 4" hole was in the center the target
usually are a good indicator of a good time

Back
Top Bottom