Carrying with Restricted LTC in Other States

crispnipz

NES Member
Hi again all,

I have a question regarding CCW in other states with a restricted LTC. I have a Target and Hunting Restriction on my MA LTC. If I travel to another state which recognizes the MA Resident LTC (such as Ohio), does that restriction have an effect in that state, or would I be allowed to CCW?

In addition, I have the Utah non-resident permit, which Ohio also recognizes, and for which restrictions don't exist. Between my restricted MA Resident LTC and non-resident Utah CCW, what do you guys think?

Furthermore, since in its strictest sense, the Target and Hunting restriction means travel to/from the activity, has there ever been a case of someone getting in trouble because they were traveling with their firearm to go out of state (such as to Logan) because they weren't technically en route to an activity?

wasn't that the point of getting a Utah non resident license, to carry in the states that honor it? I think your worried that even though ohio doesn't recognize a Massachusetts ltc, the restrictions could still carry over to the Utah license while in ohio, is that right?

Ohio does recognize the Mass LTC. I'm asking if other states care about restrictions. In other words, would I be in legal jeopardy carrying concealed in a state that is not Massachusetts?

It would depend on the AG of that state. When my daughter went to school in St. Louis, she had her restricted MA LTC. I email the then Democratic AG's office who said that yes the restrictions from MA would apply to MO. Since then, MO has become a Constitutional Carry state with a Republican Gov and AG

I did not know that. :)

Handgunlaws is a great resource!

It would depend on the AG of that state. When my daughter went to school in St. Louis, she had her restricted MA LTC. I email the then Democratic AG's office who said that yes the restrictions from MA would apply to MO. Since then, MO has become a Constitutional Carry state with a Republican Gov and AG

Interesting, glad MO went the right way. But damn, another layer of bureaucratic sludge to wade through. I wonder if there is any case law for my situation, being that I also have the Utah non-resident. I wonder if a state which recognizes both MA resident and Utah non-resident, such as Ohio, would consider both permits and either:
  1. Not care about the restrictions on the MA LTC
  2. Care about the restrictions on the MA LTC but allow me to carry because of the Utah non-resident
  3. Care about the restrictions on the MA LTC and not allow me to carry because MA is my state of residence
I worry about the third case because if that were true, it would nullify the Utah permit for anyone with a restricted MA LTC for the purposes of carrying in other states, and significantly degrade the usefulness of the Utah non-resident.

I wonder if a state which recognizes both MA resident and Utah non-resident, such as Ohio, would consider both permits and either:
  1. Not care about the restrictions on the MA LTC
  2. Care about the restrictions on the MA LTC but allow me to carry because of the Utah non-resident
  3. Care about the restrictions on the MA LTC and not allow me to carry because MA is my state of residence
I worry about the third case because if that were true, it would nullify the Utah permit for anyone with a restricted MA LTC for the purposes of carrying in other states, and significantly degrade the usefulness of the Utah non-resident.
If you are in a state that recognizes the Utah permit, why would you even bother to bring up the existence of your restricted MA permit?

Here goes:

My Spanish teacher in middle school was from Colombia and had a hard time pronouncing English words ending in "er," which my last name does. The first syllable of my last name sounds like "n," so every day when she took attendance, my name, as she pronounced it, was "Chris Nipple," which the other kids eventually turned into "Crusty Nipples." It started out as mean but by the end of high school had stuck and was a nickname I embraced.

Since things that are crusty are hard and crispy is a synonym for hard, I figured it would be a cool-sounding handle.

Back
Top Bottom