Carbine Drills

Ok so I went to the range today and ran through a little over a hundred rounds just for a quick tune up. I did some reloads, a couple of malfunctions, transitioning to pistol, multiple targets etc, not in any specific order. What I need is some solid carbine drills that I can run on my own or preferably with a buddy. Any suggestions?

Check out Kyle Defoor's carbine standards.

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2012/02/defoor-shooting-tests.html

Also, a personal favorite is the modified Navy Qual.

Status - only "cold" scores count
Distance - 50 YDS
Target - 8" steel circle or TCT-05 LETargets.com (only full ballistic hits on paper count as in)

5 rounds standing reload
5 rounds kneeling reload
5 rounds prone reload

25 sec par time
-1 point for every second under par
+ 2 points for every second over par
+ 5 points for every miss
DQ for a round in the white (paper target only)

9 or less Expert
10 - 24 Sharpshooter
25 - 40 Marksman
Higher = Failure

Ok so I went to the range today and ran through a little over a hundred rounds just for a quick tune up. I did some reloads, a couple of malfunctions, transitioning to pistol, multiple targets etc, not in any specific order. What I need is some solid carbine drills that I can run on my own or preferably with a buddy. Any suggestions?

You have a timer right?

In addition to the Defoor carbine tests, I also like doing offset accountability drills from 7yds. Targets are an array of 2 inch circles. One round per, anything outside is a miss. Try this from both low and high ready positions. ONce you can clean an array, use your timer to start bumping down the par times. Also, you can start increasing distance.

The redback one carbine standards are also a good measuring stick.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/redback-one/redback-one-carbine-shooting-standards/223198381023776

3 targets against the berm, maybe 3 yards apart. Depending on your skill level, start at 10, 15, 25 etc. yards. At the sound of the beep you'll fire one round into the first, 2 into the second, 3 into the third, 4 into the second again and 5 into the first, for a total of 15 rounds. Obviously only good hits count. Add one second to the time for any round outside of the 8" circle. This is a great drill to keep you thinking while you shoot. It gets shooters out of the regimented "BANG BANG" next target "BANG BANG." When the S hits the fan, the bad guy may not go down after only two rounds. It may require 4 rounds or more to stop the threat. It also practices multiple targets, as well as speed vs accuracy.

Simple, but effective.

Back
Top Bottom